Vague steering

jamie077366

Hi , quite an Easy one for you guys…..the steering is ‘ok’ but quite vague in strait ahead position, it loads up fine once you have a bit of lock on.

it’s always been like this and always passed mot, it’s the only thing on the whole car iv not actually been through.

I know it could be a number of things but what would be your first point to look at? 

thanks, have a good day everyone 👍

• Like 1

this could be many things but you would think(hope !) that its not any major wear or slackness in anything that the mot should have picked up on / safety wise. BUT each tester has their own idea of "acceptable movement" 

so

if it were mine i would be checking balljoints ,track rod ends and wheel bearings for play.

checking for any lost movement between steering wheel and actual wheel. such as .....loose steering wheel,upper / lower column bearings,mechanical and rubber uj's.

maladjusted rack /too slack. this would show up most in the straight ahead position. too tight thou and it would be stiff as you turned it to the sides. haynes book shows adjustment procedure.

then if nothing is found i would just have a basic front wheel alignment done. this might just be your problem all along but its easy enough and worth checking everything else first anyway . all part of the fun !

• Like 2

Top ball joints have been replaced in the past? They could have put them inside/out that gives more negative camber and will give a little lightness at straight ahead. You can get this checked at same time as above advice to have the tracking checked.

Only other thing that can change is Caster slightly if the arm bushes have been replaced and the washers put back in wrong positions. 
But s advice off Cam, get under there and check basics.

• Like 1

By “vague” can you elaborate on that any? What kind of driving are you doing? Motorway/a roads/back roads?  

I found that with the original 14inch wheels, I’d tramline quite a lot on motorways and major A roads. The mantas narrow wheel base would throw me in and out all the time. Also, what PSI in your tyres? 

1 hour ago, Sutty2006 said:

By “vague” can you elaborate on that any? What kind of driving are you doing? Motorway/a roads/back roads?  

I found that with the original 14inch wheels, I’d tramline quite a lot on motorways and major A roads. The mantas narrow wheel base would throw me in and out all the time. Also, what PSI in your tyres? 

If that’s true mate, your car was either suffering from crabbing or had geometry issues as the Manta GTE is regarded as one of best handling chasis fir a live rear axle. I have driven cars that tram line and honestly, Manta on 195 not one.

2 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

No feel in straight ahead, so wiggle steering wheel left right inch or so and car does actually respond but with little feel or weight to it, once on lock it weights up nicely.

I had a B chrome bumper when a young lad and steering had great feel and would really fill you with confidence, in mid twenties had an exclusive, which to me didn’t feel quite  as good (even then they were both old cars so obviously a few variables) but did still feel pretty well.

it’s a track car, the steering isn’t terrible but nothings actually broken elsewhere on the car so just going through things that could be better until I have the next drama 😂

4 minutes ago, jamie077366 said:

No feel in straight ahead, so wiggle steering wheel left right inch or so and car does actually respond but with little feel or weight to it, once on lock it weights up nicely.

I had a B chrome bumper when a young lad and steering had great feel and would really fill you with confidence, in mid twenties had an exclusive, which to me didn’t feel quite  as good (even then they were both old cars so obviously a few variables) but did still feel pretty well.

it’s a track car, the steering isn’t terrible but nothings actually broken elsewhere on the car so just going through things that could be better until I have the next drama 😂

If it’s a track car then it’s likely to have quite a bit of neg camber and would explain what you are seeing. You will need to measure it tbh, but it could be both camber and caster adjustment for track 

9 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

If it’s a track car then it’s likely to have quite a bit of neg camber and would explain what you are seeing. You will need to measure it tbh, but it could be both camber and caster adjustment for track 

It’s only me that’s had it….. front subframe standard except springs/shocks 👍

Just now, jamie077366 said:

On to do list is more caster to give more camber on lock, will try and improve this before though 

13 hours ago, jamie077366 said:

On to do list is more caster to give more camber on lock, will try and improve this before though 

If that is the case mate, then you have loads that can be tweaked to help on the track for sure. But if it’s all good with no slack bushes in front arms then it can only be tracking . Get 4 wheel alignment done 👍