C24NE rebuild advice

2400man

33 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

That S10 clutch is exactly what I have gone with mate, followed your advice. Obviously still a little way to go, but one less thing to ‘find a solution for 🍻👍

Nice.

Been well happy with mine and even found a spare clutch plate cheap on US eBay so bought it as a spare and got my mate to pick it up when he was over in Florida for his hols 🙂

He is off again in a couple of weeks so im thinking of a nice set of reverse mount Tilton pedals so i can get all the master cylinders inside the cabin and clean up the engine bay. They are quite expensive over here but nice and cheap in the US!

What else do you have to sort out on yours?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GTEPETE said:

Herman, do you have a photo of the BMW throttle body. To see how it looks compared to the Senator 3.0 one?

Hi Pete, the throttle body is not BMW, Opel 6-cilinder. But the AFM is BMW:

O1qQkEa.jpg.051beb31d3702c41907d3dea3c68

The original "400" throttle body is the same as a G/TE, so my inlet manifold is milled to the same diameter as the bigger 6 cilinder one. My cut-off 6-cilinder manifold with also the bigger throttle body is waiting till my back is healed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, H-400 said:

@David: When I gave my engine to the motor shop to bore and hone to the next size I asked them to drill a hole for the dipstick behind the engine mount at the same angle and diameter. If you are going to fit a steel sump I can mail you a template for an oil baffle plate, bought it once from Risse Motorsport and copied it on paper. 

zmYsrlx.jpg

This offer is ofcourse for everybody on this forum. 

I fitted a flywheel of a six cilinder CIH with the standard 2.4 bolts and a 9 inch clutch as my "400". Noticed a standard G/TE 8.5 clutch couldn't handle the torque. To compensate the lack of feul I fitted a feul pressure regulator of a L-jetronic. Gives 3bar while a LE just 2,5bar. The inlet manifold of a 2.4 fits normally under the hood of a Manta, but I have a 6 in line cut off manifold ready to install with 70mm throttle and BMW air flow meter.  Not sure those 12 star bolts of the older CIH's are stil available. They were used on all older CIH as also the 1.6 and 1.9 so Mr Carlos on this forum can help you?

@Herman thanks for the offer of the template. That would be handy thanks. At present I'm planning to fil a cast aluminium sump with custom winged bowl but I guess the shape of the oil baffle plate wouldn't be much different.

I too fitted a six cylinder flywheel and 9" 2.2 clutch altough it looks like I need to seriously consider going down the S10 clutch route.

Edited by 2400man

Thinking ahead a bit, does anyone know of a radiator top hose of the correct length to reach between a 2.2/2.4 thermostat housing and the top radiator connection on a standard Manta GT/E radiator? As I'm sure you will be aware, the standard top hose is too short. I could cut it mid way and fit a bridging piece but I'd rather keep with the OE look.

Edited by 2400man

18 hours ago, 611 said:

Cut mine and added a thermostat sensor. You can get an original type thermostat housing to fit the 2.4 head, which i would then presume using this the standard hose would fit? but they are not cheap!

https://www.ebay.de/itm/223563240781

Thanks Andy. I can see what you mean about them not being cheap lol! I plan to buy a Coolex rad and have a sensor boss fitted to it. I know there must be a suitable top hose out there as I've seen pictures like this one.

IMG_2960 crop.jpg

Edited by 2400man

Not sure if this is what you are talking about. When I fitted my 2.2 head (similar to 2.4) to my 2.0 bottom end. I made an adaptor plate to re-use my 2.0 thermostat housing with the 2.2 head, so could use the thermo time sensor and was able to use the existing hoses.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2400man said:

Thanks Andy. I can see what you mean about them not being cheap lol! I plan to buy a Coolex rad and have a sensor boss fitted to it. I know there must be a suitable top hose out there as I've seen pictures like this one.

IMG_2960 crop.jpg

If that pic is from one in the US they probably popped up the local hose place and had a longer one made 🙂 (seems that on the Opel GT forum that they get all sorts made quite easily over there!) Not sure if any of the German places made a longer one? again it would probably be expensive! 

5 hours ago, GTEPETE said:

Not sure if this is what you are talking about. When I fitted my 2.2 head (similar to 2.4) to my 2.0 bottom end. I made an adaptor plate to re-use my 2.0 thermostat housing with the 2.2 head, so could use the thermo time sensor and was able to use the existing hoses.....

Yep, Pete, that's what i was thinkng. The 2.4 thermostat sits out a bit further than the standard 2.0 and makes it too far away for the top hose. Good plan if you can get an adaptor made. problem i always find is unless you know a machine shop they either wont do one off jobs or charge a high standard charge for a simple job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2400man said:

IMG_2960 crop.jpg

Just be aware I have a coolex rad and the quality is questionable, guess the price reflects this. But a lot of guys recommend a place in Ireland for rads (will give name when I remember). A bit more money but as they make them custom, how about you just have the top hose Barb moved over a little on the radiator to to match OEM hose. No one will ever notice that in comparison to a bit of tube between hoses

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 611 said:

If that pic is from one in the US they probably popped up the local hose place and had a longer one made 🙂 (seems that on the Opel GT forum that they get all sorts made quite easily over there!) Not sure if any of the German places made a longer one? again it would probably be expensive! 

Yep, Pete, that's what i was thinkng. The 2.4 thermostat sits out a bit further than the standard 2.0 and makes it too far away for the top hose. Good plan if you can get an adaptor made. problem i always find is unless you know a machine shop they either wont do one off jobs or charge a high standard charge for a simple job.

I have seen them for sale but can't yet recall where...pretty sure its a German supplier

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 611 said:

This one is from a car somewhere in Scandinavia as I recall. Looks like it has an arrow marking direction of flow like the GM ones do.

4 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Just be aware I have a coolex rad and the quality is questionable, guess the price reflects this. But a lot of guys recommend a place in Ireland for rads (will give name when I remember). A bit more money but as they make them custom, how about you just have the top hose Barb moved over a little on the radiator to to match OEM hose. No one will ever notice that in comparison to a bit of tube between hoses

That's useful to know too thanks. I'd rather pay more and have something decent quality. Been down the cheapo...ish route with an ali rad in one of my 9000's. Small spigot for expansion tank overflow connection got crushed when I tightened up the hose clip as the ali tube used was so thin and still leaks to this day! Don't want another experience like that thank you!

2 hours ago, GTEPETE said:

This takes me back Pete. I did a home made version of this adapter plate ages ago when was trying to run the 2.4 with LE Jetronic. Took me hours and rather crude in comparison but did the job well enough. Still got it somewhere 🤔

12 hours ago, 2400man said:

IMG_2960 crop.jpg

Be interesting to see a shot from the other side as it does look like the rad outlet looks a bit further in? maybe the have done what @Jessopia74 is suggesting?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 611 said:

Be interesting to see a shot from the other side as it does look like the rad outlet looks a bit further in? maybe the have done what @Jessopia74 is suggesting?

....you mean like this? Certainly worth considering moving the spigot in a bit if having a custom rad made.

IMG_2959 crop.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2400man said:

....you mean like this? Certainly worth considering moving the spigot in a bit if having a custom rad made.

IMG_2959 crop.jpg

Now from that picture its not as easy to see and looks standard position but from the other photo it did look further from the otside edge of the rad.

If you are going custom made i would go that route and have it positioned further iin as then you can use the 2.4 thermostat (i have a gasket if you need one from thermostat housing to head) and the standard top hose and no one would really be able to tell as i dont think you need to come in that much.

• Like 1

I took my standard radiator to a shop and they fitted a new core, thicker and with more coolant channels. Costed 180€.  You can refit the rad more in, but beware of the distance between the fan. This can be solved by using an electrical fan. Noticed the older Manta/Cavaliers have no visco on their fan so the rad can be moved to the engine. Look at this solution:

3790a.jpg

3791a.jpg

3793a.jpg

3794a.jpg

3831a.jpg

3926a.jpg

Yes I know it is in German, "falsch gebohrtes loch" means this was a mistake 😁

• Like 3

On 12/09/2023 at 10:17, H-400 said:

I took my standard radiator to a shop and they fitted a new core, thicker and with more coolant channels. Costed 180€.  You can refit the rad more in, but beware of the distance between the fan. This can be solved by using an electrical fan. Noticed the older Manta/Cavaliers have no visco on their fan so the rad can be moved to the engine. Look at this solution:

3790a.jpg

3791a.jpg

3793a.jpg

3794a.jpg

3831a.jpg

3926a.jpg

Yes I know it is in German, "falsch gebohrtes loch" means this was a mistake 😁

Hi Herman, 

Looks like the GT guys drill out this hole in the  2.4 head as well. Is this something you know about?img_2396-jpg.175601

• Like 1

Hi Pete, noticed it also. Our older CIH's have a waterchannel in the head that runs from the headgasket (rubber o-ring) to the thermostatic house. The older carb engines have another design so the water runs through. See gasket carb thermostatic house:

cih-dichtung-thermostat-vergaser.jpg

Our injection engines have the same channel but those engines have another cooling route so this is blocked by the design of the house, look at the gasket:

cih-dichtung-thermostat-einspritzer.jpg

The 2.2 and 2.4 have the same holes but they are blind, they do not connect. To be sure I just checked one of my heads. The  design of those thermohouses is again different from the ones above, see gasket:

dichtung-thermostatgehaeuse-opel-cih-kle

I can only think they drill it back open to fit a carb type of house, special for those GT's. The adapter they use have also a waterhole.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2023 at 20:12, rutts said:

Group 4 make manta rads in Ireland. 

Thanks Rutts. 

I assume this is their site here but no mention about Manta stuff 🤔

On 14/09/2023 at 12:22, H-400 said:

Hi Pete, noticed it also. Our older CIH's have a waterchannel in the head that runs from the headgasket (rubber o-ring) to the thermostatic house. The older carb engines have another design so the water runs through. See gasket carb thermostatic house:

cih-dichtung-thermostat-vergaser.jpg

Our injection engines have the same channel but those engines have another cooling route so this is blocked by the design of the house, look at the gasket:

cih-dichtung-thermostat-einspritzer.jpg

The 2.2 and 2.4 have the same holes but they are blind, they do not connect. To be sure I just checked one of my heads. The  design of those thermohouses is again different from the ones above, see gasket:

dichtung-thermostatgehaeuse-opel-cih-kle

I can only think they drill it back open to fit a carb type of house, special for those GT's. The adapter they use have also a waterhole.

That would make sense if they want to fit a carb type of housing to a 2.2 or 2.4 head

5 hours ago, 2400man said:

Thanks Rutts. 

I assume this is their site here but no mention about Manta stuff 🤔

That would make sense if they want to fit a carb type of housing to a 2.2 or 2.4 head

Does the hose have to be the stock one? as i got some custom silicon ones made for mine from the old hoses i had. You could get one made the same as yours just longer? There might even be someone who make the original style of hose that could do a custom one that's a bit longer and then you could use the standard 2.4 thermostat housing and just by and uprated rad without having it made custom with the inlet moved? 

• Like 1