C24NE rebuild advice

2400man

ah yes thats true . i was basing my answer on the mk1 which uses the same radiator core as mk1cav/manta. maybee someone with a mk2 (83-86) could check theirs. i know for 100% sure that the 2.2 hose wont fit as it has a t off to the expansion bottle.but looking at that pic the hose does look possible albeit you might have to trim a little off the part that goes to top of rad ?

Edited by cam.in.head
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon folks.

I’d appreciate your advice about the latest little issue with the rebuild. The timing cover was heavily corroded when I dismantled the engine so I had it vapour blasted. It came back nice and clean as you can see but there’s some heavy pitting and erosion in places, some of which will be fairly visible after the rebuild.

I’ve seen in the media about corroded aluminium being restored using some sort of metal deposition process. Has anyone on here had this or a similar process done on timing covers or any other cast aluminium for that matter? Can you recommend anyone to do the work?

Part of me thinks it could be rather overkill but I don’t want something like this to spoil the look of the engine when its rebuilt, especially as it would be a pain to have to remove the timing cover again (head off first etc as far as I know).

Maybe I’d be better off just having a bit of TIG welding done on the worst pitted bits, or lumiweld, or just use filler and paint over it 😁, or try to track down another timing cover in better nick?

Cheers

2023-10-08 11.23.13.jpg

2023-10-08 11.23.23.jpg

2023-10-08 11.24.01.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, paulmanta said:

I might have a better one, also been vapour blasted.

for a 2.4.

Cheers Paul. That would be great! 👍

10 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

I probably have one too as I need to use 24v timing cover if Paul does not, but I won’t be able to dig it out til home around 26th 

Cheers Jess. Will let you know after I've heard from Paul. No rush with this.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2023 at 15:14, 2400man said:

Afternoon folks.

I’d appreciate your advice about the latest little issue with the rebuild. The timing cover was heavily corroded when I dismantled the engine so I had it vapour blasted. It came back nice and clean as you can see but there’s some heavy pitting and erosion in places, some of which will be fairly visible after the rebuild.

I’ve seen in the media about corroded aluminium being restored using some sort of metal deposition process. Has anyone on here had this or a similar process done on timing covers or any other cast aluminium for that matter? Can you recommend anyone to do the work?

Part of me thinks it could be rather overkill but I don’t want something like this to spoil the look of the engine when its rebuilt, especially as it would be a pain to have to remove the timing cover again (head off first etc as far as I know).

Maybe I’d be better off just having a bit of TIG welding done on the worst pitted bits, or lumiweld, or just use filler and paint over it 😁, or try to track down another timing cover in better nick?

Cheers

2023-10-08 11.23.13.jpg

2023-10-08 11.23.23.jpg

2023-10-08 11.24.01.jpg

numerous ways to make use of that cover. epoxy prime it then fill or JB weld, that can be sanded. having that big welded up seems a lot of effort to still have to sand and fettle it down. plus it will be very contaminated after all this time with oil on it. 

if it were me id use some metallic loaded filler  filler, for a stock engine but to look the part.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

numerous ways to make use of that cover. epoxy prime it then fill or JB weld, that can be sanded. having that big welded up seems a lot of effort to still have to sand and fettle it down. plus it will be very contaminated after all this time with oil on it. 

if it were me id use some metallic loaded filler  filler, for a stock engine but to look the part.

Thanks for your input Paul. JB Weld, which I guess is kind of similar to lumiweld, was something I'd considered but now I've been offered a replacement cover I might just go down that route. If I use any sort of filler material that doesn't give a good colour match to the cast ali, I'll have to paint the whole thing whereas my plan was to leave it bare metal which is how it came in the first place - different to most timing covers on CIH's I know, including my original 2.0, with the black paint which flakes off and looks a mess.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 2400man said:

Thanks for your input Paul. JB Weld, which I guess is kind of similar to lumiweld, was something I'd considered but now I've been offered a replacement cover I might just go down that route. If I use any sort of filler material that doesn't give a good colour match to the cast ali, I'll have to paint the whole thing whereas my plan was to leave it bare metal which is how it came in the first place - different to most timing covers on CIH's I know, including my original 2.0, with the black paint which flakes off and looks a mess.

Silver VHT works a treat and keeps the Oxidisation at bay. 

On 24/10/2023 at 20:46, Paul Barrett said:

Silver VHT works a treat and keeps the Oxidisation at bay. 

Cheers Paul.

Good idea to paint it even if I'm only planning to use it for dry miles only. Do you need etch prime under the VHT as it's on Ali?