Black Opel Manta

not a manta 400

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Homologation papers show rear spring seat raised. This gets axle closer to body. Maybe standard spring, but lower ride height. 

Try searching rear coilover, here. I think it was done before on a rally car but axle spring remained in place. Or extensive bracing to rear turrets. Remember it is only spot welds here, it could fracture. 

Front turrets are also seam welded and braced for extra strength. 

I saw the homologation papers, didn’t know a rally 400 was so different, but I’m not planning on using this car as a real rally car, just for street use so I think the strut towers are strong enough 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, not a manta 400 said:

I saw the homologation papers, didn’t know a rally 400 was so different, but I’m not planning on using this car as a real rally car, just for street use so I think the strut towers are strong enough 

Be great to see what you think of the arm kit when fitted. 👍

On 18/01/2024 at 09:55, ®evo03 said:

Herman, could you follow papers above and build as per documents? In Belgium. Is this ok? 

Nope, as soon they see there is a modification on the chassisrails they destroy the VIN administrativ. Fitting another more powerfull engine is also forbidden. Upgrading the brakes also. I fitted Opel Rekord vented discs but cause they are hidden in the rims the car is MOT'd without advisories. And when we fit a spoiler or a sport steering wheel we'v got to pay extra cause of "tuning report". So I'v got always a Manta brochure at MOT so I can proof the plastic sil covers etc. are standard factory... Once they wanted to fail my "400" cause of the engine, so since then I take "Das grosse Opel Manta buch" with me.

Yeah, Belgium is really car minded 😥

7 hours ago, H-400 said:

Nope, as soon they see there is a modification on the chassisrails they destroy the VIN administrativ. Fitting another more powerfull engine is also forbidden. Upgrading the brakes also. I fitted Opel Rekord vented discs but cause they are hidden in the rims the car is MOT'd without advisories. And when we fit a spoiler or a sport steering wheel we'v got to pay extra cause of "tuning report". So I'v got always a Manta brochure at MOT so I can proof the plastic sil covers etc. are standard factory... Once they wanted to fail my "400" cause of the engine, so since then I take "Das grosse Opel Manta buch" with me.

Yeah, Belgium is really car minded 😥

ben ik blij dat ik in Nederland woon, ik heb 2 jaar geleden een andere motor in mijn starlet gelegd, 1500 16v, en naar RDW gegaan voor om te keuren. de keurmeester zei alleen: 'mooi gemaakt'. en gaf me de nieuwe papieren 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, H-400 said:

Nope, as soon they see there is a modification on the chassisrails they destroy the VIN administrativ.

Would a rally car ex works manta 400 pass Belgium MOT. As per homologation papers, with or without papers? 

Just now, Jessopia74 said:

Does it come with any dust caps for the ball joints?

nope it doesnt and i didnt see any on their site, so idk if they really need them or not... but it wouldnt be a bad idea if you plan on using them for rally

• Like 1

up to date pics of my progress this weekend

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

making the exhaust manifold, same idea as with the intake, welding a C20XE exhaust to a Z24sed flange, exhaust ports are also bigger on z24 so the c20 manifold also needed some work to make it match

after welding

fits perfectly

fitting a krause rear clutched LSD

rear drive shafts

test fitting rear brakes

restoring front steering rack

everything taken apart

rubber parts look like new after cleaning, turns out my manta only has 36000 km on its odometer

also, i need some tech help

anybody know how to wind back a kadett E digidash odometer so i can get the 36000 of my manta on it?

https://i.imgur.com/jGJHrU6.mp4

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy helping my dad fix his mercedes vito 120 CDI (oil cooler was leaking between 2 banks of the V6) but I have made

some progress with the brakes and wheels this week

new wheel

rear brake calipers

before and after

both done

had to modify the audi TT brake caliper brackets

calipers after paint

everything fits

and the commodore A 5 lug conversion is also done, but I have to find front brake calipers and shocks to finish the front

I'll upload more when more work gets done

Edited by not a manta 400
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

a lot of progress this week

been able to buy these proflex shocks for the front, so i have the same brand shocks both front and back

made a mount for the remote reservoirs

also, i made some space for the gearbox and a (at the moment still WIP) removable tunnel thing. so i have easy access to

https://imgur.com/fl0wstZ

a DIY short shifter, and dont worry, it wont just be a metal stick when its done

i've also covered the floor, wheel wells and side panels in sound deadening material 

simons exhaust system

with self made adapter to C20XE manifold

48mm throttle bodies

test fitting carbon airbox 

also got most of the fuel system done, only thing left is wiring

and lastly, finally found a pair of tail lights but one was damaged, this is after sanding...

and this after gluing and more sanding, ive painted both of them but i dont have pictures of that yet

i also made gearbox mounts but i dont have pictures of them as well

• Like 6

Great work, good idea removable top on gearbox tunnel. 

Are the front shocks from a classic mini? Or part numbers please 👍

Alot of sound deadening, for another project I used 16mm yoga mats, 2 mats £20.  Dynamat too expensive. 

It's feels really comfy and cosy already 🤣 

I don't know your regulations on fog light, but this can be inserted behind reflector on rear tail light, beside reversing light. 

Very nice project, will be very interesting and new take, with parts never tried before 👍

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Are the front shocks from a classic mini? Or part numbers please 👍

I don't know your regulations on fog light, but this can be inserted behind reflector on rear tail light, beside reversing light. 

as far as i know fog lights are not needed on a car this old in the netherlands, but if installed they have to work. didnt know this was possible since all mantas i've seen here have a separate one installed below the rear bumber so thanks for the information

as for the shocks, they are proflex shocks from a VW beetle (old one)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

update on the black manta project, a lot of wiring, interior and cooling 

radiator with 70mm core

water hoses, electric cooling fan, wires, brake parts and clutch cable. a lot of new stuff

this is where the engine wiring enters the interior through the firewall. it was closer to where i want to put the ecu than where the wires usually enter and i wanted to keep the engine and chassis wiring looms separate

also installed an antenna

and glued on new foam pieces

also got some heating parts. i decided to put the sound deadening, that's usually in the engine bay, on the inside so my firewall wont rust, didnt know the universal stuff i bought was a nightmare to work with without any experience, so i'll have to buy more to fill some gaps

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

late update this time but ive been really busy with school. anyway

first: wheels, i have the rear tires and front rims

alternator installed and working 

also got a brake force adjuster for the rear brakes

a lot of cutting and gluing on the dash to make it work with the digi dash. for now just removed the manta dash lights because i wont need them anymore

also painted the pedals.

and now, the thing that has taken up the most time and work the past weeks, wiring

finished wiring in the trunk

ecu and drivers

and started on the fuse box.

and this is what the engine bay looks like right now.

i also have good and bad news. good news: the engine starts and runs. bad news: it leaks oil (already know were and fixed it) and the engine mounts are too soft, i ordered different ones from a bmw m3 so im going to test them this week.

i have a bunch of other stuff i bought that i hope i can install this week.

i'll make a video of the engine running soon but i want to get my digi dash wired and working on the car first, and get my pedals working so i can test the gearbox and the speedo of the digi dash

• Like 4