Black Opel Manta

not a manta 400

Hey guys

This topic is about my 1978 opel manta B. I Bought it as my second project car august this year from somebody who wanted to turn it into a rally car but for some reason didnt and left it sitting outside, stripped with only the front and rear axle (so no windows, doors, interior, etc.) since 1995. yes it had a lot of rust but it was also dirt cheap, and since a manta B is my dream car and i was an 18 year old with nothing else to do i decided to buy. (I'll upload pictures when i figure out how to, google decided i cant upload from my drive anymore) 

Edited by not a manta 400

Hi Luc, I can open the pics by clicking them a second time in another window. I use Imgur to upload them and put the direct link over here. Then everybody can see them without using a link. 

Weird, you speak Dutch, I Flemish and we are communicating in English on a foreign forum 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Weirdly, there is a real famous rally 400 manta made from a shell this colour, from new probably 1984, or maybe it received a quarter panel this colour. 

I can also see pics if opened in another window. I can post if you want. But my Dutch or Flemish ain't so good 😂

• Haha 1

hi guys, i've converted more pictures to post (still have to do this because imgur doesnt except HEIC)

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

NGKZmGh.jpg

a lot of engine pictures today.

engine code: Z24SED, almost same block as c20 and c22 engines. (i'll explain later why its not the exact same)

original car: chevrolet captiva.

bore x stroke: 87,5 x 100

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

engine disassembly

painting engine after removing rust and cleaning

test fitting manta 18S bellhousing. and now for why a z24 isnt the same as a c20/c22, 1 of the gearbox bolts is placed a bit higher and further to the right (engine is upside down in picture)

after welding just machine both sides flat and it fits perfectly

balance shaft delete. 2 is plugged 3 is stock

DIY intake manifold, jenvey c20xe + stock z24sed manifold

after this it needed a lot of machining, a z24 has way bigger intake ports than a c20. about 1 mm on each side but 5 mm to the bottom to fit (dont have pictures of this)

wiseco pistons, i dont know which brand the conrods are

comp. ratio: 11:1

stock exhaust port

unfinished, modified exhaust port

engine assembly, you can kind of see the finished ports here

camshafts: cat cams 272 degree for big block ecotec

camshaft gears: cat cams

fitting 18s oil pan

fitting aluminum valve cover with DIY aluminum sparkplug cover

after fitting the engine in the car

starter motor

I'll upload more pics of the car tomorrow

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Very nice, great to see different engine. Would a BMW getrag box fit?

Is this engine tuneable, maybe Weber's or ITB, throttle bodies. 

Nice work, great pics. 

im indeed going for a 265/6 gearbox.

with the jenvey intake im going for a pair of jenvey ITB with EFI

• Like 3

lots of pictures today. most of them are about painting but also body work and welding

removing paint and rust from left quarter panel 

welding old spot for bonnet latch (too damaged)

engine bay after primer

rear after paint removing and primer

side after primer/paint removing

test fitting body kit

removed grill and very rusty bit of body above right headlight

replaced removed body part, removed rust and mounted new fiberglass grill

body with original Irmsher manta 400 front spoiler

rear bumper

a lot of body filler and sanding

body after last coat of primer

its finally black

after adding all the lights

• Like 6

Car looks great, and brilliant work, keep em photo coming, is the engine powerful once modified? Turbo? 

Nice work, great pics.  Is it not too cold to paint 🥶 Netherlands 🥶

I like the wedding marquee, wedding crasher, get out, I've a car to paint 😂

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

On 16/01/2024 at 00:43, ®evo03 said:

Car looks great, and brilliant work, keep em photo coming, is the engine powerful once modified? Turbo? 

Nice work, great pics.  Is it not too cold to paint 🥶 Netherlands 🥶

I like the wedding marquee, wedding crasher, get out, I've a car to paint 😂

I painted the car this summer, all pics are from previous work (so far), only old pics i have to upload now are from the front and rear axle. I'll be able to get more work done this weekend so those pics will be more up to date

about the "wedding marquee", my dad used it back in the day for rally cross, it had white and red coveres back then but those were old and broken when we started working on my manta about 13 years later so we went with the cheapest covers we could find XD

I'm not going to turbo the engine, engine specs stock are: 222nm and 136hp, but im 99% sure those numbers will go up with the mods i've done to it

• Like 4

last batch of outdated pictures, the front and rear axle

first of all, rear axle mods (rekord C), shock mounts need to be moved futher to the center of the axle

welding

painted rear axle

rear shocks need to be modded as well

new rear springs

shock with new springs and modded top mount

rear axle links

painted links

almost done (still needs a LSD and driveshafts)

and now the front axle

subframe with WIP aluminum mounts because nobody sells new (performance) rubber ones

the mounts are no longer WIP

I could buy the rear rubber new but having a solid mount in the front and a rubber one in the back would result in something breaking in half (kind of like bending a ruler over and over till it breaks) so these are also going to be solid

more welding

adjustable front suspension by RallyCorsa

I dont have pictures of them on my car yet so I'll upload those this weekend

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Your roads 😎 no bumps ? 

Hmm... The roads in Holland are a lot better than our Belgian roads. That's why Belgian rally drivers are better, we are used to drive in worse conditions 😁

Wanted to fit a Commo rear axle in my Manta GSI but Belgian MOT doesn't allow the rebuild 😥

Succes with your project Luc, grts 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Your roads 😎 no bumps ? 

Did you weld shock turret at rear for strength, of not running axle spring.

Also look at 400 homologation papers if you want to go lower. 

https://historicdb.fia.com/car/opel-manta-400

Although I'd imagine you want it pretty low. 

I didnt weld the shock turrets but the springs on the coilovers are very soft so i dont think they will have to deal with too much stress.

What exactly do you mean with lower? like lower ride height?

• Like 1

Homologation papers show rear spring seat raised. This gets axle closer to body. Maybe standard spring, but lower ride height. 

Try searching rear coilover, here. I think it was done before on a rally car but axle spring remained in place. Or extensive bracing to rear turrets. Remember it is only spot welds here, it could fracture. 

Front turrets are also seam welded and braced for extra strength. 

10 hours ago, H-400 said:

Belgian rally drivers are better, we are used to drive in worse conditions 😁

Irish drivers must be Pro WRC 😂

10 hours ago, H-400 said:

😁

Wanted to fit a Commo rear axle in my Manta GSI but Belgian MOT doesn't allow the rebuild 😥

Herman, could you follow papers above and build as per documents? In Belgium. Is this ok?