Front springs

Simonl

Me again, have received. Pic of new front springs for the gte, struggling to compress them enough to fit in and secure stub axle. Have checked them against the old springs and the old springs are 3 coils shorter at 350mm replacements 400mm. The new ones at from Kilen I can’t find any specs other than they are for opel manta gte. I have read somewhere that there were 2 different spring lengths? Does anyone know or does anyone know where I can get some correct length springs?. Only been trying for 3 hrs to fit the wrong ones 🤦‍♂️

TIA as always 

I think the lowered kits are based on the mom reduction from std height for MantaB not always GTE. One thing that seems to stand out is how high some cars seem to site after replacement springs are purchased. They might be compatible with a GTE but they are obviously too high. 
https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/list/lowering-springs/opel/manta.html

The Avo ones are listed as 30mm lower than Std, this would be around the same as a GTE that was ~25mm lower than std,

yes all mine are on std springs and do need a good compress before they will fit in. 

the official gm way was a type of compressor arrangement that removes/ refits the spring complete  with lower arm as a unit. not got round to making something similar yet but will do as its so easy to scratch all your painted bits fitting them !

34 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Found very easy with the clamps l have

are they the official ones as shown in the gm workshop manual . the type that go under the lower arm ?

ive never actually seen or used any in the flesh but if they work well il get something sorted ? cheers.

They are normal 2 clamp units. When they are compressed they go past th3 lower arms which makes it easy to use,
Can post photos tomorrow of the clamps tomorrow

If not safe l would not use them.

Are you doing lower ball joints,have things to remove and fit 

Edited by 1200bandit

3 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

thats why i like std springs . on a normal cav/ manta up to 82 the rears were thin last turn so cant get them mixed up .possibly the same on std newer mantas too  ?

Yeah, exactly mate

On 17/01/2024 at 21:08, 1200bandit said:

They are normal 2 clamp units. When they are compressed they go past th3 lower arms which makes it easy to use,
Can post photos tomorrow of the clamps tomorrow

If not safe l would not use them.

Are you doing lower ball joints,have things to remove and fit 

ah i see . i must admit ive never had an issue fitting standard length springs using a normal compressor but i would imagine yes that shorter springs would obviously be easier and not necesarily need a compressor at all in some cases. on a viva or vx you dont need one at all as the arm comes low enough!.

i will still make a compressor like the gm type that takes the spring off with the lower arm complete for next to see if its any better thou

This is what I used to remove the standard springs short set ( cut down normal length set) fitted while on the car the normal length ones for compressing the spring  to get the shorten ones off and on once out of the car no need to undo any suspension parts.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hoobby said:

This is what I used to remove the standard springs short set ( cut down normal length set) fitted while on the car the normal length ones for compressing the spring  to get the shorten ones off and on once out of the car no need to undo any suspension parts.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Interesting mate, I have always popped the ball joints in the past, but I guess that’s mainly for ease. To me changing the spring is likely a one time thing, luckily the old designs don’t break every other year like these modern ones 🤣

Sound little tip thst though 👍

ive never changed one without disconnecting the lower balljoint but even then its not hard . BUT cannot imagine just how much you would have to compress a spring to get it in without ?? 

ps cant see picture so may be missing something here !

as regards breakage . no they are a bit longer lasting than modern cars (apart from the original gm front spring suprisingly ) aftermarket ones seem better in this respect . ive had around 25 years on my aftermarket fronts on both my cavs

• Like 1