Manta i200 rebuild

srmrally

Hello everyone just thought I'd put up a post of my work so far mainly just getting it stripped down ready to go to sandblaster hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I have made a frame to align the new chassis legs up, and some brackets to put on to a trolley to be able to move about the workshop and go to blaster, have acquired most of the parts I need to do the job, this is my first attempt at doing a post so hopefully it loads all the photos, more to come 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Will have to try later with pics as it hasn't loaded Al of them 

• Like 5

Thank didn't know it was rare thought it was part of the i200 conversation learning things all the time, would also like to thank Carl, stive vince, Sean and Shaun for there help in getting parts  and Andrew abbot for his u tube channel 

Edited by srmrally

Ps also Dave deakin and omoc for parts supply 

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Stuart, welcome and succes with the restoration. Noticed you'v got that rare dummy "16V look" rocker cover, nice👍.

Wish it was the real 16v always wanted a 400 but cash always elusive had a 18 gt back in 1984 ever since wanted the 400 

2 hours ago, srmrally said:

Thank didn't know it was rare thought it was part of the i200 conversation learning things all the time, would also like to thank Carl, stive vince, Sean and Shaun for there help in getting parts  and Andrew abbot for his u tube channel 

No Problem Stuart. Hope those chasis legs come in handy. 

4 hours ago, srmrally said:

Should get it scanned so that they can 3D print them, no doubt would be quite a popular item.

Loving the car. Another one saved . Good to see all the panels you collected, are those the hand crafted ones or some other source?

Rot in the trail arms, that's a new one. I would imagine if these are rotting, why? As car isn't too bad, was it parted on grass? 

Any plans on what to do with front chassis sections that have been plated over. I'm amazing looking into getting these made. 

Great looking project, and plenty of parts gathered, good luck with build👍

Edited by ®evo03

Sean hovel sold me the new front chassis legs I believe he got them from Germany, so all the plates and rust will be removed and replaced with nice new one's lots of work to be done 

42 minutes ago, srmrally said:

Sean hovel sold me the new front chassis legs I believe he got them from Germany, so all the plates and rust will be removed and replaced with nice new one's lots of work to be done 

The trailing arm are good no rot 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stuart,

Its great to see the progress you are making on the car and good news that another Manta is getting saved. If you are interested, I have a bit of information on your car from previous owners as I run the Irmscher Register within the club. I have on my notes that this car was converted to i200 spec when it was brand new in 1985 by  AGJ Motors of Pontefract - might be worth checking if that is where the car was originally supplied from (if you have the paperwork with it). Sometimes the conversion was done by Steve Thompson Cars in Walsall but in a few other cases, the local Vx/Opel dealers ordered the parts from STC and did the conversions themselves. That in itself means that sometimes you are never actually sure what was done until you have a look inside the engine.

I think your car spent much of its early life in Criccieth, Wales and changed hands a couple of time in the 90's. I have a note that it was fitted with the 400 door stripes, Decals and the Rubber Irmscher Rocker Box cover from new, which would figure as these parts were not available for long after the production run finished. The rubber Rocker cover is mega rare - I've only ever seen one before and I've been to more Manta shows than I dare to admit to, over here and in Europe. They did serve a purpose as they helped to lower the noise levels from the upper cylinder head. The solid lifters need a generous valve clearance of 0.25mm for both Inlet and Exhaust valves, which can be quite noisy if you are not prepared. It is not uncommon to hear of folks removing the solid lifters and fitting hydraulics, which is totally wrong for the cam and ruins the original purpose of the Cam/Valve/Followers/Spring set up kit. 

If you want to know a little more about the history of the i200's and the dealer conversions, let me know and I can bore you with them. I have written a fact page on here if you haven't found it already. I also have the set up guide for the i200 engine and timing, which is different to the standard CIH, thanks to the different cam and the Irmscher dizzy.

Anyway, if I can be of any help, please just shout.

Cheers,

Paul.

• Like 1