My Manta GTE Project

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looking nice John.

I take it you are not using a GTE style front airdam/bumper then?

Just an assumption as I would have fitted the bumper to get the holes drilled in the wings before they were painted.

Does look a damn good paint job from piccies though mate :thumbup

Have not posted up much on the project for a while due to a few problems that needed to be resolved.

Bit of an understatement from what I can understand, let's hope the Manta is finished on time and everything gets sorted asap. I can't seem to find any headlining rails for love nor money, any luck your end?

At least the paintjob is rather splendid, silver is a great colour and for some reason I think it suits GTE hatches better than any other (probably 'cos a silver GTE was my first Manta all them years ago!) I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh, can't quite see all the photos as the dial-ups not having it but there's going to be one hell of a lot to look at this year at Billing since there's so many top quality projects finishing now, this one is one of the top of my list!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well it has been a while since i have posted any pictures up so here goes. It looks good b ut it still does not go, as when i got it up and running the oil pressure dropped to Zero after about 20 mins and started making rather nasty noises and it is now back at the engine builders to sort out.

When it is up and running i will be talking it down to FJZ400 and Mantabird as i need some serious help to fix a few other problems that are beyond me and my stepfather who has done a huge amount of work on the interior with his friend from Holland who has been over for the last 4 weeks.

The aircon is not yet fitted but this will be done by Simon P over the winter as i just want to get this car on the road and use it for the rest of the summer. Have to say thanks to Nick hear as Simon went over to Nicks when Nick was fitting his Aircon to understand how it all fits together.

New Interior seats i had done. Many thanks to Paul for the help with the material.

P7170147.jpg

Some of Clive's handy work

P7170148.jpg

Clive's kick panel and window winders, am now in the process of changing the grey door pockets to black.

P7170152.jpg

Passenger Side Door Card

P7170154.jpg

Rear Seats in Blitz material

P7170155.jpg

Passenger Side seat and carpets

P7170158.jpg

Drivers Side Footwell

P7170163.jpg

Interior

P7170173.jpg

A bit more of Clive's handy work

P7170181.jpg

P7170182.jpg

My dial-up's having none of the latest pics but I hope things are moving forward for you John. It's disheartening to think the things you're paying a lot of money for aren't right the first time around. Any engine builder that supplies a rebuilt engine that runs for 20 mins and starts to fall apart wants shooting! It'll be nice to eventually see the car finished which I'm looking forward to.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided it was about time I added some more picks and a general update, so here goes:-

The car is now almost finished now expect for some interior bits that i need to change over still.

The big problem now is that the car is finished but it is back at the engine place in Essex as the engine is pinking badly, according to them it needs a different ECU and wiring loom. Have spoken with Nick, Paul, Sean, Simon P and will have a long chat with the guys at the next Thames Valley meet which is on Sunday 10th August, Pete hope you are going to be there as would like your input and views as well as i am not having very much success with the Engine builders.

The arse end of the car is sitting seriously high at the moment even though the spring are shorter by 40mm.

Anyway a couple of Pics.

P1000601.jpg

P1000589.jpg

P1000586.jpg

P1000588.jpg

P1000592.jpg

P1000593.jpg

P1000595.jpg

WOW STUNNA

finaly makes all the nights of :brick maybe a bit more worthwhile.

Do I spot Billys on the rear if I do and there std I had a set on one of my cars and did exactly the same to the rear end no matter what drop springs I had in.

Will see you Sunday for some more pixs please

That looks very nice indeed, you are right about the arse being high though, try it for a bit on the road and see if it settles a bit but i now think you need to put different springs in the rear.

Best to get it running right and fettle that after though, it probably looks worse than it is due to the silver inner arches, if they had 20 odd years of grot in them it would not look as tall !!

FJZ400 They certainly are Billys on the back with billy springs as well. Billy springs on the front with standard shocks.

Will leave it as it is for a while and see if it settles down a bit, but if it does not then will look to do something about it as it looks like a wedge of cheese at the moment.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Thought it was about time to add an update to this thread.

Well have made a few changes since the car was finished, have ditched the Billy suspension in favour of -40mm Spax PSX suspension set up. Thanks to FJZ400 for sorting this one out for me. Car sits and drives 100% better in my opinion than it did.

Have changed the grey parcel shelf etc to Black which is more in keeping with the current interior colour scheme.

Have got a new set of 205 55 R15's sitting in storage waiting to be fitted as am currently running on 195 50 R15's which are a bit harsh in my opinion.

Plans for this year are to fit the Air Con and have this all completed by a week before Billing. Will post up some updates as progress is being made.

John

• 2 weeks later...

The rocker cover came from Ebay.de i think.

Have now removed the rocker cover in faviour of something a bit different.

Car is now of the road having some minor / major changes carried out to it, will be back on the road before billing.

Will post up some pics soon of the changes being done.

John

Here are a couple of picks to see who can guess what the latest change mod is going to be.....

No wheels no bumper hmmm what is going on here

johnscar1001.jpg

Battery Tray Moved, why?

johnscar1006.jpg

Water pump, is it staying or going? hmmm

johnscar1008.jpg

Whats this he thing that has been added?

johnscar1006.jpg

What are these new pipes for?

johnscar1004.jpg

More clues to follow in a few days time

John