Suspension Questions

BoXXerRACE

I'v just bought an 1987 GTE Exclusive and to be honest the supension is raped. its gunna need a full overhaul, a few lads at work have recomended i get coilovers for it, i have about £600 to spend i realy haven't got a clue what will work/fit. failing that theirs a 1985 1.8s under about 6 cars in a ditch in my local scrappy but i dont want to have to resort to that. also i need a new fuel tank, i've patched the hole with apoxy but i want to fix it properly. any help would be great. cheers.

You could go for a set of Spax PSX adjustable shocks, will set you back about £300.00 or AVO's for about the same, get in touch with TJM on the forum, he will be able to help you out.

You will also probably need a set of new rubber spring seats if they are shot, these can be got from Dr.Manta.

A new set of bushes front and rear will set you back about £300 ish.

I assume you have a hatch if you have a hole in the tank?? finding a new hatch tank is like the magic grail trail.

Mvh

John

Manta 1.8's have different spring length to the GT/E (about two inches longer), they also have rubbish shocks, the GT/E had Billies as standard.

If you're keeping 14 inch wheels do not lower by more than -30mm, unless you want rest on the bumpstops.

I used -30mm non-adjustable AVO's with Billies 'Streetline' shocks. (just over £200 last year) Contact TJ Motorsport (TJM) for a good deal. He can also supply any bushes reqd.

I went the Spax PSX 40mm lowering kit on my Hatch- sits nice and level (not on the bump stops as others suggest though..), well worth the adjustable shocks as you can set them exactly how you like the ride/handling. Personally think the front still looks high but then that's just me- a splitter would sort that out if I wouldn't smash it off within a week (I speak from experience...). Would recommend the SPAX PSX Manta -40mm to anyone.

I don't know if it would be worth the extra to convert to coilovers unless you really do want the ultimate in handling and adjustment.

Mate had some Bilstein sports on his car I think, was a good ride with them on.

I didn't realise some adjustable shocks only altered rebound though? Seems daft to me if they do. Spax and Koni adjustables are gas filled and the adjustment alters bump and rebound together, presumably it just changes an aperture inside restricting flow.

It is the SPRINGS that absorb the 'shock', The so called 'shock absorbers' actually should be refered to as 'spring dampers.

Don't believe me !!???? ............................Then try running your car on just the so called 'shock absorbers and see that they punch through the turret mounts,...............then do it with just springs fitted and see how you start to bounce down the road and don't stop !!! :o

If you want to be pedantic you are both right.

Yes springs absorb the shock input from the road wheels, but the dampers, or shock absorbers, absorb the shock loading placed onto the spring and damp out the oscillations of the road spring.

One does not work well with out the other in a road car. Although in theory you can have a car without dampers and/or springs it would not be advisable with the roads today combined with the speeds we now drive at.

But to be fair who gives a shit as the manta does use springs and dampers and the simple question was what suspension can be bought for a reasonable price for a manta.

I'v just bought an 1987 GTE Exclusive and to be honest the supension is raped. its gunna need a full overhaul, a few lads at work have recomended i get coilovers for it, i have about £600 to spend i realy haven't got a clue what will work/fit. failing that theirs a 1985 1.8s under about 6 cars in a ditch in my local scrappy but i dont want to have to resort to that. also i need a new fuel tank, i've patched the hole with apoxy but i want to fix it properly. any help would be great. cheers.

These are for sale

http://forums.mantaclub.org/index.php?showtopic=21884

Billie Sports are no longer made for the Manta/Ascona about £140 a corner to get refurbed !, they do pop up on ebay from time to time ie

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Manta-B-Ascona-B-Rea...1QQcmdZViewItem

they dont have front though and not much good without the set.

Sport settings on the Manta are 400lbs front and 250 rears. you can use 180/250 progressive they are about £85 for a pair

cheers guys, you are a fountain of knowledge. i've had it looked at yesterday and basically the front left damper is blown and all the springs have been angle grinded to lower the car 40mm :wacko: so its stupidly soft ie. hitting a twig in the road will cause my passenger to be sick out the window, it bottoms out if my cat sits on the bonnet.

Hi to all,

Billie B6 Sports (Motorsport) are still available for front and rears but they have gone up in price due to exchange rate etc.

B46-0883 fronts (331/124) £130.00 each (Retail £152.95 each)

B46-0893 rears (220/80) £130.00 each (Retail £151.80 each)

P&P £11.75 to UK Mainland. Delivery normally 24-48 hours.

Springs made to order any length:

Single rate upto 500lb £82.25 a pair

Single rate over 500lb £95.68 a pair

Progressive rate £49.35 each

All above come painted black as std, powdercoating (black/red/grey/blue) extra £2.60 a spring

P&P £17.85 a set of 4 to UK Mainland. Delivery normally 2-3 weeks.

Regards

Tim

Thats good to know Tim, the last time i enquired of you about 9 months back for a chap you said only the motorsports ones were available now as they stopped making the sport ones. My lad ended up getting the motorsport ones from you as well.

• Like 1

Sorry Robbie

A bit of confusion I think, there were 2 specs of Sport ones road and motorsport. The ones above are the motorsport ones (different bump/rebound), and yes the last time I checked the road ones were not available even though they still list them.

I will have to check again though.

Regards

Tim

Thats good to know Tim, the last time i enquired of you about 9 months back for a chap you said only the motorsports ones were available now as they stopped making the sport ones. My lad ended up getting the motorsport ones from you as well.