Manta A Series V8 Supercharged

Paul Barrett

when you make the new steering arms there are several things to consider, not only must they be longer and lower to match the rack location they have to be set further in to match the Ackerman angle, an imaginary line fron the centre of the diff to the vertical centre line of the steering ( steering inclination or kingpin angle ) and projected forward at the same relative angle.

Also with with longer steering arms the effective ratio of the steering rack will decrease.

Overall this project is teriffic, effectively you have designed and built a car from the ground up, it would be easier to build something like a Locost 'Lotus 7' type car, the design is already done for you, hats off,your achieving the amazing !!

Hi Ian, thanks for the support.

I won't be making new steering arms, just new track rods with spherical rose joints and boots to keep muck out. The spacers on the ends of the rack bring the arms back towards the subframe, then in the pics above I'll be lowering The rod end on the steering arm to original position, I'll allow this to be adjustable as compared to stock the car will effectively be lowered, up to 70-80mm I think I can achieve to dial out the bump steer.

Got a bit done, was feeling a bit groggy.

Had a bash at a bit of stainless welding, very delicate practice with these thin wall bends, I really don't want to have to back purge when u do the manifolda etc, any advice here welcome

3E5D2742-EFD4-4CB3-812F-2565E1FF6BA2_zps

Got cracking with the sump pan, nearly complete, but soda law despite careful welding swapping ends at every 1unch bead, it still warped!!! Will need some heat on it to try and bring it back flat we will see?!

6066AFAA-4ABE-49E5-B471-35CED1BE1EC0_zps

It is tight but have it in, just needs other side mocking up now which will be even more rune with a steering column rod having to go through too! :)

Then make some collectors, I have some stainless sheet for this that I'll make a 4" round section with, tack on and then bend it into the valleys around each tube and then weld up. I'm going for V band connectors for the system, eventually will merge under the boot floor into a single 3" silencer and 3" tailpipe of sorts

been looking at the steering column side tonight, and there really is not enough room. I have pondered a little,

my thoughts have veered towards steering boxes and the like, to try and take the rod from the rack up and then 90 degrees direct the point of a universal joint at the bottom of the column ( will have to go through the subframe, easy with thick tube welded in)

I came across some race car setups using very expensive bevel gear boxes in a 1:1 ratio, also looked at motordrive gearboxes but 1:1 ratios are hard to find, plenty in the US

then I stumbled on a VW bay window camper rack and pinion conversion, using a VW t25 steering box, as the column faces directly down in front of the steering they use this method to attach the rods to the rack

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21827&sid=fcebc2361866f4a593ae318bf40f8664&start=140

20130706_IMG_0734_zps7c5c993e.jpg

so ive found one cheap to enough to have a play, so fingers crossed it will be the answer I need

Edited by Paul Barrett

Got the oil pickup pipe sorted, quite happy how it went, did take nearly half the day but needs to be correct, I had to modify the sump somewhat for clearance, but I was expecting it tbh as it's quite a big bore pickup pipe to fit from front to back

In modifying the sump the warping was easily pulled out! So a good day

Also sold the last sump flange i had made so that's 8 in total for other people's conversions, and the other pair of geader flanges, so my stuff has cost me nothing which is a bonus and hopefully helped a few other projects along.

C008F913-E267-4C4B-8D6D-7FF74E85F4F2_zps

3DC64153-971B-403F-800F-C632E90564DA_zps

D0FA732F-5DE4-4616-9857-87F03766192B_zps

Edited by Paul Barrett

this chat room must be very big... there's an echo in it....

That sump came out allright, it shows that it would be possible to do the same for 16 valve conversions so people needn't destroy 1800 Manta's to get a sump, could also applie this shape to a CIH sump because when you fit uprated brakes the oil surges forward and there is momentary oil starvation, ( perhaps this is why Opel fitted cr*p brakes to the Manta ! )

• Like 1

This steering box is a blessing in disquise, I've found a better way of mounting the rack much closer to the subframe, thus eliminating the need for the rack spacers which is great as I really wasn't keen on using them.

Also using this piece of angle will enable some boxing in to take place, this will some strength back into the subframe

3EFC9F88-BD57-4115-8202-4282906E6C3E_zps

Got a rough position for the steering box too after having to modify the vw steering joints u sources which are quite nice quality as it happens, at least it's still German even if it's not opel.

A10D7CBE-3CE9-4865-81E3-3FDB8DDEE337_zps

3B2BB33F-FA80-41A9-970C-22A3406E6EE2_zps

Now I need some 3/4" round bar to make a rod that goes through the subframe, I have spherical bearing spare I can use as support within the subframe 'pass through' which will keep everything well supported even though the steering box will also be supported by a stout bracket welded to the subframe

• Like 1