Mk1 Cavalier Coupe Gls

shonky opels

That steering wheel would be great if you can get it off for me fella, and yeah the journey was a proper challenge, initially the plan was to drive up, stay in a hotel over night then drive back the day after, but once I'd left scotts I felt fine and I only stopped again at luton for a coffee and I got an hours sleep leaning against the dash lol

cheers

Hi mate, was a shame I missed you but I'll be at the shows (pv and billing) this year so hopefully we can share a beer or 3 :) a few of my friends were round today and they all said how sweet that engine sounded! tbh its miles better than the last lump and starts straight away from cold without any choke which is brilliant lol

cheers

That steering wheel would be great if you can get it off for me fella, and yeah the journey was a proper challenge, initially the plan was to drive up, stay in a hotel over night then drive back the day after, but once I'd left scotts I felt fine and I only stopped again at luton for a coffee and I got an hours sleep leaning against the dash lol

cheers

I will attempt to remove it at the weekend, and I will PM you for details etc.

• Like 1

I will attempt to remove it at the weekend, and I will PM you for details etc.

I have removed the steering wheel from column. I had noticed the steering wheel boss plastic has a few cracks in it but nothing too conspicous. Just about to PM you on details.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a few hours playing with the cav today, plans were to get the heater blowing, which will have to wait now as my multimeter has stopped working :angry: also I want to get the paint work mopped and detailed ready for the show season so in preperation Ive removed all the side trim, rear trim, rear bumper, and badges, the paintwork is really faded so hopefully it'll polish up well enough to get another summers use out of the car before a respray.

Some pics:

30 yrs worth of crud

SAM_0144.jpg

SAM_0147.jpg

SAM_0148.jpg

SAM_0149.jpg

SAM_0150.jpg

SAM_0152.jpg

SAM_0153.jpg

SAM_0154.jpg

After a wash

SAM_0155.jpg

SAM_0159.jpg

SAM_0158.jpg

SAM_0160.jpg

You can really see the difference in colour now in these pics, hopefully tomorrow I can get the front bumper, and both number plates off ready for mopping during the week,

thanks for reading :)

Edited by shonky opels

cheers chaps :) That astra's been scrapped now and i'm halfway through building an astra coupe turbo out of the remains, I love the cav and it should really be getting a rebuild and new paint job now but I REALLY want to use it this summer lol

~I have done a little bit of work on the cav, it involved grinding the rust off of the rear bumper and treating it with kurust, next time i'm down the workshop I'll probably paint it all with some black hammerite :)

SAM_0183.jpg

SAM_0184.jpg

SAM_0185.jpg

SAM_0186.jpg

SAM_0187-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got round to sorting the paintwork on the cav on tuesday, started off by washing then snow foaming the whole car;

SAM_0215.jpg

SAM_0217.jpg

SAM_0218.jpg

After a while that was jet washed off and then we clayed the car, Ive never done this before but the difference in the feel of the paint before and after is unreal lol

SAM_0220.jpg

SAM_0219.jpg

then cut back the paint and polished it with the machine, the car has been previously mopped and theyve burnt through the paint in places so we where careful not to make any of this any worse than it needs to be :)

SAM_0223.jpg

SAM_0226.jpg

a few half and half shots, (really hard to see on a yellow car!)

SAM_0230.jpg

SAM_0235.jpg

SAM_0238.jpg

SAM_0246.jpg

SAM_0249.jpg

we even done inside the door shuts :)

SAM_0237.jpg

SAM_0243.jpg

Once polished, the old girl got a coat of gold class meguires wax to seal the paint, hopefully over the next few weeks I'll be able to get a few more coats on

SAM_0253.jpg

SAM_0254.jpg

SAM_0262.jpgSAM_0263.jpg

SAM_0259.jpg

Totally transformed the car and now I feel happy about using it again for the summer. This weekend should see the trim and badges cleaned and polished and back on the car :) there is some bad news though.............

This is dead!................

SAM_0251.jpg

Driver side window rubber, kaput!

Edited by shonky opels

Crikey what a difference a good cut & polish has made.

Looking forward to seeing your car this year, Billing 2012 maybe.

Definately at billing this year mate, Ive already booked the camping pitch for a few of my friends :)

Looks good mate, if your stuck for chrome trim let me know if I've got it you can have it for the price of posting, I'm not putting mine back on, my window rubbers went the same, managed to get some off a doner car, ;-)

luckily all my trim is really good apart from that window rubber and the chrome strip below it isn't too clever either, but yeah hopefully one will turn up on the bay :)