Rear Window Replacement

SENNA1

Hi all!

I'm about to replace my Vauhall Cavalier's mk1 rear window due to rear element heater that has been 'worn' out :angry: .

So, a new window is ready to be installed.

I'm planning to put the same window seal on because i haven't found a new one to replace.The seal looks as new though!

Are there any precautions or anything else to have in mind when fitting the new window on?(e.g. silicon e.t.c.)

Thanks to all :)

P.S. Also,what if i'll need to replace the window seal-where can i find one?

Edited by SENNA1

If you can blag a lump of Tyre Soap from your tyre shop that will help with fitting, also a lenght of nylon cord.

Just take your time and make sure the screen is lines up before you start to install

Andy

Is it a saloon? Am assuming it is, but obviously this affects fitting, availability of seals etc. Opel Ascona B seal will fit Cav 1 saloon. Occasionally these can be had from European suppliers - or someone breaking a Scone.

BJ

If you can blag a lump of Tyre Soap from your tyre shop that will help with fitting, also a lenght of nylon cord.

Just take your time and make sure the screen is lines up before you start to install

Andy

I tend to use elctrical flex / wire as the smooth outside doesn't mark the rubber.

I also would have avoided any soap except for getting the shiny or black insert in and instead used some non setting windscreen sealer / mastic as available at motor factors to use in a mastic gun in the rubber the sreen goes in and on the flange that sits on the car.

Opel used a more rubbery sticky matic on both places on later cars and Exclusives

I tend to use elctrical flex / wire as the smooth outside doesn't mark the rubber.

I also would have avoided any soap except for getting the shiny or black insert in and instead used some non setting windscreen sealer / mastic as available at motor factors to use in a mastic gun in the rubber the sreen goes in and on the flange that sits on the car.

Opel used a more rubbery sticky matic on both places on later cars and Exclusives

Top post there, totally agree with Mantadoc.

I've found the filler strip more of a nusicance thanactually fitting the screens and seals, there is a little tool availbe for spreading the rubber to allow the filler strip to sit in the screen seal nicely, they were widely available, must get myself one again.

Top post there, totally agree with Mantadoc.

I've found the filler strip more of a nusicance thanactually fitting the screens and seals, there is a little tool availbe for spreading the rubber to allow the filler strip to sit in the screen seal nicely, they were widely available, must get myself one again.

I bought one of these a couple of months ago, and it done the job. No Bother :thumbup

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WINDSCREEN-RUBBER-CHROME-TRIM-FITTING-TOOL-EYE-SET-/310277524661?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483dfb4cb5

Yeah having a tool is sooo much easier than faffing around trying to get the trim in without one

If you can get one a tool with a built in roller is even better, like this

!B-whT!!!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKo4Ey+jC)80gBM9oF-iOTg~~_12.JPG

Took me all of 1 minute to fit all 4 on a coupe

Last time i tried without the right tool took me about an hour (and some swearing :blink: )

Yeah having a tool is sooo much easier than faffing around trying to get the trim in without one

If you can get one a tool with a built in roller is even better, like this

!B-whT!!!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKo4Ey+jC)80gBM9oF-iOTg~~_12.JPG

Took me all of 1 minute to fit all 4 on a coupe

Last time i tried without the right tool took me about an hour (and some swearing :blink: )

:thumbup Yup that's the one Dave..... Had one of these ready to fit the filler strip into the V8 and couldn't find it come the time to fit the strip, and ended up using a screwdriver and swearing and damaging the window seal and a couple of areas of paint :angry:

That's very helpfull guys but what about the actual seal?:unsure:

From where can i find it?

Thanks.

Like I said, try the Opel suppliers in Europe for an Ascona B saloon rear seal. Other than that, ask your local factors what they've got filed under "hens' teeth".

BJ