Non Starting (Injection?)

welder

As title, I've put in a 2.2 (stroked 1.9) engine into my 87 coupe. The car will turn over and seems to have good compression but is not trying to fire. I have fuel to the injectors but theyre not putting any into the manifold. I have a constant live to both terminals on the injector plug, (is that right or should they pulse?). Any suggestions, cos I'm running out of ideas, (and patience!).

As title, I've put in a 2.2 (stroked 1.9) engine into my 87 coupe. The car will turn over and seems to have good compression but is not trying to fire. I have fuel to the injectors but theyre not putting any into the manifold. I have a constant live to both terminals on the injector plug, (is that right or should they pulse?). Any suggestions, cos I'm running out of ideas, (and patience!).

Can't help with the injector problems, but interested in what you have used to stoke the 1.9 up to 2.2. Got a 1.9 lying doin nothing so fancy playing with it a bit.

Cheers

Chris

Are you using 2.0 or 2.2 injection? I have diagrams for the 2.0, I built myself a new wiring harness over the Winter. Can dig them out later if thats what you're using.

They'll pulse too fast to see it on a multimeter I think, you'd need a scope.

Also interested in your engine spec, particularly what you used for pistons?

I had a problem once with injectors not firing, they'd been unltrasonically cleaned and not used for a while after, when it came to starting the engine they were all stuck closed - a little tap to the injector needle with a hammer freed them up :thumbup

Best I can see, regardless of whether you have 2.2 or 2.0 injection, one pin of each injector should go back to ECU plug pin 12. The other pin is +12V, and should be common with ECU plug pin 9. You say you have fuel to the injectors, what pressure? Its possible to have too much pressure, and the injector physically can't open.

We have fuel and power to the injectors but they don't "squirt" when cranking. Can't remember what pressure is at the rail. I tried a second set of injectors to no avail but they had been sat dormant for a while.

We have fuel and power to the injectors .........they had been sat dormant for a while.

Sounds like you're getting no injector switching.....have you checked for a HT spark? The ECU needs the reference signal from the dist.hall sensor.

Is the injection system new to you or have you had it working on another car?

Get yourself a noid light to plug into the injector wiring.....easiest way to check inj.switching.

Am sure you'll get there :thumbup

John.

If memory serves me right the earth to the plenum is on. The injection system has run before but roughly, now it won't run at all. In fact, this is the first time I've worked on petrol injection systems so it's hit and miss. If Opel had made a diesel it'd be running now! Haha

This is the things i would check :)

In basis you need to narrow down you selection of possible faults. Is it fuel, or electrical problems?

Fuel:

Are the injectors the old 6 volt ones from a 1,9E or a old 2,0E lump?

Are the fuel lines connected the right way (feed / return i once did this and fuel doesn´t run the other way around on those engines)

Take out one injector and connect directly to fuel feed line see if that makes any difference (could be the vaacum shut off valve thats faulty)

Does the fuel pump run (should run shortly to make preassure when ign on, if not connect it directly to battery and see if that changes anything)

Electrical:

Do you have spark? The ecu need signal (the green wire from ignition)

Have you connected the wires properly to ign?

Is earth good on engine block and on plenum?

Those are the immidiate things i would check to narrow down the selection of where the issue might be located.

Thanks for all the advice folks, I shall have an afternoon on the bl**dy thing and see if I can persuade it to play ball. Re; the engine spec, Don't know too much about the bottom end as it was built by Mr Finney.

Fuel lines are correct way round (have already checked that)

Fuel pump is working fine and there is fuel in the tank (also checked that)

Not sure what injectors are in it.

There is spark to the plugs. I've had the engine earth off and cleaned it up to get better contact.

I've been running through these little bits. I've even had a pair of injectors out and turned the engine over, no fuel comes out. Nearly burnt my hand off as the cold start injector works and puts enough fuel in the chamber to make a small explosion!!

Fuel lines are correct way round (have already checked that)

Fuel pump is working fine and there is fuel in the tank (also checked that)

Not sure what injectors are in it.

There is spark to the plugs. I've had the engine earth off and cleaned it up to get better contact.

I've been running through these little bits. I've even had a pair of injectors out and turned the engine over, no fuel comes out. Nearly burnt my hand off as the cold start injector works and puts enough fuel in the chamber to make a small explosion!!

Ok. Well that narrows it down quite a big, and you have got a bunch of good info to proceed the testings with :) You have concluded that this is not caused by an electrical (ignition) issue, and you have also discovered that the problem must be found in one of 3 areas. Either the fuel line, the injectors themselves or the ECU signal.

These are the steps i would take now.

Try to disconnect the vaacum fuel shut off valve. Those things can break or get stuck. Just disconnect it and reconnect the fuel lines with a T-shaped tube. No harm done.

The injectors should have yellow tops. If they have grey tops they are most likely 6 volt ones and in best case they wont run proper, in worst case they will break when getting 12V signal.

If they are yellow 12V ones and disconnecting the vaacum shut off valve doesn´t help i would suggest to connect one injector directly to the fuel line and see what happens when giving it a go. Last but not least, the nozzle´s of the injectors could be stuck. You should be able to push them in using a finger, this is also worth a check.

If that doesn´t work either (in this case your fuel line works proper and your injectors also are looking fine) i would make the conclusion that your ECU or wire loom for the injection is toast, and simply wont give any signal to the injectors. This can be tested by changing the cold starter injector with one of the regular ones. If the regular injector works when connected to the cold start valve signal, something is wrong with the ECU or wire loom. The ECU can actually work but the ECU requires alot of different signals to give the signal to the injectors to fire. I would start by trying on a different ECU that you know works, and if that doesn´t help either i would begin to look for a complete and running injection system elsewhere. The possibilities of errors are so vast, that they are impossible to check without spending a fortune. If you know a workshop that has a Bosch tester this would be very helpfull as this tester can tell you exactly where the problem is (could be anything really) , but if not, i would make a complete injection system swap.

Edited by monzta