E36 Grn Aka Project Genisis

taylorblue5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, im happy to report that my cars all finished and away for paint, hopefully collecting tomorrow but until then heres some pics.

03112011513.jpg

De spoilered and awaiting final prep.

DSC00218.jpg

Rubbed down and etch primed.

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

Bar coat to seal awaiting primer, will be smooth as silk for paint coat as continuously rubbed down between.

DSC00227.jpg

I can't believe how fast you've turned this car around... You only bought it at the end of May and it's welded up, de sunroofed and almost painted. My Manta was painted five years ago and I've still not finished it. After reading what you've achieved in such a short amount of time, I went outside yesterday, pulled my finger out and had a good day on the Manta. I got loads of those crappy little jobs done that I've been putting off for ages. Keep up the good work and I'll look forward to seeing it painted. Well done..... Luke.

Thanx for the kind words lads! Its come a long way, i wish i had taken more pics of the welding before and afters etc but i live in Scotland n didnt have time to stop in case the heavens opened! lol. Dont know wot im goin to do when its finished apart from dodge tree's n fields! lol.

Want to swap cars Gaz? haha.

I really cant Adz! Cant wait to see it all painted. Been busy today building my fuel system. Im re-routing my brake and fuel pipes thru the car, not only for beneficial reasons but to give the area where the rear seats were some character.

The system has 3 fuel pumps with a swirl pot 2 hi flow filters and an adjustable regulator. Iv used braided hoses to give it a bit of shiney shiney!

Im not sure where to route the fuel pipes, most prob down the trans tunnel tho.

15112011525.jpg

Shiney fuel pumps, i got two standard bosch Manta ones very very cheap rather than buy a walbro etc.

• 2 weeks later...

No thanks Rob, iv more or less sorted it now. Wish i had space for ur Cav tho. lol.

wow what a difference! i've got a old coupe shell, i've not been to check on it for a few years but seeing yours makes me think i'll go and check what its like!

I love the sound of having somethin tucked away, goin to see it after years and its all covered in dust etc. Send it up to me, im bored now! lol. K.O iv still got a few bits to keep me busy, Wiring for a kick off.

• 8 months later...

20120704_214639.jpg

Major work finished ready for respray.

20120706_155624.jpg

During paint, note my blended bonnet vents, has anyone seen this before??

20120710_195516.jpg

Few days after paint, got it out on a big run through the Trossachs mountains. Fantastic experience after so much work.

20120710_211055.jpg

beside my mates mint 1600 ghia.

20120710_211026.jpg

Cant remember how long itseen since i started this project but id have like to have done more posting on here bt i just didnt have the time.

i'v since got a unit to store and build cars so im going to put my new skills and tools to good use and build another project. would love a mk1 2 door cav. keepng an eye out.

Goin to buy some clear protective vinyl for the stone chip prone areas i.e the lower quarters.

Hopefully be home to do some more work soon, got a power steering unit to fit cheers Mantasrme, I'd happily recommend this.

Also got my front Volvo 4 pots to fit. Now I've got a workshop I'd like to drop the front subframe and Axle for cleaning and painting, nothing worse than having to rush due to my leave schedule and weather.

• 1 month later...

Cheers guys, didnt think id ever see the day haha. Still got a lot to do but shes alive again lol. Got power steering, 4pots, bike carbs and megajolt system to go in yet but im happy the major work is complete and i can spend time on one job rather than rushing to complete 8 different things.

Thanx Kev, Like I said it's a bigger project than I ever imagined but if you dont throw yourself in you'l never learn anything. Obviously got the bits that I'd like to go over again to get perfect such as the bootlid, doesn't sit properly and has a rust patch comin thru that I missed and I've still got some leak hunting to do.

The wheels were a find away my mate got them for a 5 stud golf.... Tit, lol. I got them for 50 quid with tyres and they were better than the steelies that graced her before. They are splitrim bbs 16's but that's all I know. I'll eventually get and to a set of Revolutions or compomotives.