Changes In The Law!

upk

Aye all good and well, but it still hits all of those that keep within the law, those who do run Tax / Ins less have plenty points or banned DO YOU THINK THEY WILL TAKE ONE BLIND BIT OF NOTICE DON`T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My manta isnt sorned, because they rejected the sorn application as its been off road too long. I'm assuming I aint about to get a massive fine for being uninsured.

•vehicles that have been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 - unless they are brought back into use

So it depends on when you took it off the road Shug, it looks as though you will be liable if it was after that date. Just tell them that you've got you'r own laws in Scotland!! It worked in the naming of Giggs :lol:

This new law will also put an end to being able to buy a car with tax on it, unless the seller still has it insured. Also yet again the powers that be will make a packet out of the surenderd tax as they only repay full months.

So you change your car mid month, swop insurance over to new car, sorn old car and surrender the tax lossing 2 weeks tax.

You then sell the old car and the new owner has to tax it, tax is back dated to the begining of the month.

Goverment now has 4 weeks tax revenue for nothing. :angry: :angry: :angry:

As Rab has said, only the law abiding get shat on.

now that is a good point!

time to get the cart out and fire up the horse :D

what would happen if we all did that, would we see a big environmental outcry or an increase in rose gardens??

• Like 1

now that is a good point!

time to get the cart out and fire up the horse :D

what would happen if we all did that, would we see a big environmental outcry or an increase in rose gardens??

"an increase in rose gardens" Very clever. I like it :lol:

Edited by Julian

This new law will also put an end to being able to buy a car with tax on it, unless the seller still has it insured. Also yet again the powers that be will make a packet out of the surenderd tax as they only repay full months.

So you change your car mid month, swop insurance over to new car, sorn old car and surrender the tax lossing 2 weeks tax.

You then sell the old car and the new owner has to tax it, tax is back dated to the begining of the month.

Goverment now has 4 weeks tax revenue for nothing. :angry: :angry: :angry:

As Rab has said, only the law abiding get shat on.

like mentioned earlier.this just makes things more & more complicated for us that do things legally & correct anyway. even more stupid is the new rules on engine swaps. i have many a spare engine that i have had sat for many years that i cannot now fit into anything .due to needing proof of engines history / donor vehicle.(presumably to stop cars being stolen for their parts) non of us would fit a stolen engine but how do you prove where an engine came from that you bought years ago from a scrapyard or someone who was breaking a car. criminals who dont care anyway can just carry on as before .

So bi rights you should still be able to sell yur motor and get money from new owner for Tax left on car as long as new owner arrives with his /her Ins for the car. You would still have your own Ins running on car and when putting your new car on road just transfer new details across and what cash you got for tax remaining on old car put towards new Tax.

cheers rab.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry fella's but really don't see what the fuss is about, simply put "declare sorn and get you tax refunded as soon as" nothing that I have not been doing for years now anyway, as I'm sure goes for a lot of us.

As for losing out on Road Tax, well don't we always? lets face it Road Tax is not there to benefit us road users, it is simply there to get money from us for the Gov't.

Edit.... Personally i think this is just a kick up the arse to the general public who are quite probably less aware of the current law than us enthusiasts who often have a car declared SORN.

Edited by opel2000

Road Tax, if you were buying onithin else and finding oot the nick of it was as bad as oor road system you would be returning to shop and wanting awe refund,thirty three year in ma case :D:D