Chopshop Manta

manscoob

just a bit of a back round first

Gonna put this on now, i've been told someone might like seeing this project, it all started a few years ago when i saw a programme called chopshop, where they put all the running gear, engine etc into a golf. so why not into a manta????

i bought the manta from steve down near santa pod about 3 years ago, but had nowhere to keep it, about a year and a half ago we got a garage up at the house, rented a trailer and got a lend of a jeep to pull it, headed to steves and got the rolling shell.. now to find the right subaru, i found one one ebay last october but it was damaged, bought it, drove it home needing a door, wing and suspension. i had a few days off work. put a second hand wing,dood and a bottom arm on it, its mot'd to august i thinkand had tax. so i drove it until 3 months ago when i got a company car.... so now the project begins, with a few pm's to johno, he said it could be done......... yep, put the body of a manta on the floor of a subaru...... i looked at it as up-dating a classic shape to 2012 as an i240 4x4 turbo. i'll put up as many pics as i can, theres loads

Edited by manscoob

Nice one john!!... HUNGRY for some of your pics mate!.. worst case if your project did get flaged up then would cost money have it inspected i no how rite firenza looks from under side! now worrise mate.. GO!!! GO!! GO!!! :wub:B)

After the body of the manta was lifted off, i rolled it out of the garage, chopped it and the pieces, it was a really good floor. ah well. when the subaru was stripped, all the b pillar,boot and sill spot welds where drilled out to leave just the floor,

1af8f02a.jpg

cf35336e.jpg

b03e8c48.jpg

b3632082.jpg

i drove the subaru out, so i could hang the manta up

dfc64bff.jpg

f08bd642.jpg

then with the outter and middle sill removed i welded 3mm plate the full length of it.

50a14117.jpg

Edited by manscoob

John, change the http when you preview on photobucket to img and they will show in the thread

I don't think i can do it from here

I've never seen sooo much manta removed from a good Manta!

Seeing it in the flesh makes you think, WTF :D

This project is awesome!

Edited by Kevin Abbott

got the body down on, then had to try to align it all

with out an arch

73f4d809.jpg

then with an i240 arch

408961c1.jpg

the body needs to go down and the suspension, its sitting high in all 4 corners

the rear struts are through the parcel shelf

6f53e87f.jpg

the first time ive tried the wings and bonnet on

9d17d641.jpg

Edited by manscoob

this is a side view

0768fcb2.jpg

675d3907.jpg

454e126b.jpg

after looking at the car outside, i saw that the left hand rear wheel was in at the top, after a few measurements, yep it was, it must have been pushed in when i was lowering the body on, only one answer, a strutt brace. it wont move now!!

f565415f.jpg

• Like 1

finally got the dash to fit, its gonna need flocked to cover some rough edges, but its ok for now..

5be14cb1.jpg

the next problem i had, wipers!!!!!! loads of ideas, single wiper, 2 wiper motors, but i wanted it it look like an original outside, only one thing for it, cut the baulk head out to fit the motor and linkages,,,,,,

33312a37.jpg

sorted

d8d616c1.jpg

but now there was a big hole to the outside, i didnt want to have to start cutting, welding, a bit more of both again... so

4a1cb49a.jpg

a metal cake tin

041726e6.jpg

fitted with a bolt aswell for the wiper motor

the problem now was fitting the wiper motor when the box was all sealed in because, on the motor the slot for the support is side ways on.

9665b54b.jpg

modified with a kids bike spanner. (13mm if you wanted to know)

884be687.jpg

sorted

6e957cbc.jpg

Edited by manscoob
  • Like 1