Opel Manta A Series Hot Rod (Beast)

DiMarco

Update:

This weekend was a goal hit for me as I bought the paint that is going on the underside as well as the shell main paint. She is still going to be orange as that was the colour I bought her in so it will stay. Took a long time to get that colour as I was stick between 3 shades and after about 30-40 mins I got blinded by the colours and couldn't tell the shade as I was looking at them for to long. After I gave myself a little break I picked the paint and was very happy with it and got all my other paint and supplies for a good price.

IMAG0360.jpg

Saturday was all about getting the rear axle and wing sorted but after about 30 mins to an hour Paul turns up in his B series. Was great to finally to put a face to a name and had a good crack as met lee and his dad as well. Lee brought up his A series and once I saw it I got all existed and now cant wait till my is finished. Paul also brought up my mint new headlining but after he realised I was going to have to cut a big hole in the centre of it for the sun roof he was reluctant on handing it over :D. I'm sorry Paul but it has to be done and you do love the sun roof just don't want to admit it. All in all a great weekend the jobs I wanted done were done and met some new faces and had a good time.

IMAG0361.jpg

• Like 1

Update as always spent a good amount of time up in Coventry working on the beast. The car is really coming along nicely when I first looked at it I saw some paint under the arch so I flipped her over and I could see this.

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

She now has paint :D things are really moving along now. I spent most of the day getting covered in grease, WD40 and lots of dust and shit :) but I love it all the same. Today was striping down the subframe, this took longer than I thought it would do as nothing went to plan and had to get the grinder out to cut some bolts. But at the end of the day the car has not seen this sort of attention for a long time so it is to be expected. After taking the engine off the subframe the covers got a good etch primering so they are ready for paint. The subframe is now fully stripped and so are the hubs all ready to get blasted. I did start painting some of the rail that are attach to the axle but it was getting late and needed to get back so left them hanging to dry and didn't take any photos of this. From taking the frame apart there are quite a few things that need replacing but as she hasn't moved for a while it was to be expected. All the joints need replacing top, bottom and steering joints. My next job is to sent off the old suspension to get new ones made ready for me to put the subframe back together after a good paint.

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

The lovely V8 all tucked up ready for next weeks work.

IMAG0374.jpg

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 1

To DiMarco,

I have just read your entire project thread on The Beast and the story behind it is very, very interesting. What a good opportunity it was for you to acquire the car in the end as if you had not have bought it, it may never have seen the road again.

I have had a similar experience on seeing a Manta when I was younger too. When I used to go to junior school in Dronfield there used to be a White Exclusive Coupe which somebody used a lot as I used to see it very regularly down at the local shopping centre. Then all of a sudden I started never seeing it again until it disappeared altogether and I have never seen it since!

Very interesting project and story, great rescue!

Jack.

To DiMarco,

I have just read your entire project thread on The Beast and the story behind it is very, very interesting. What a good opportunity it was for you to acquire the car in the end as if you had not have bought it, it may never have seen the road again.

I have had a similar experience on seeing a Manta when I was younger too. When I used to go to junior school in Dronfield there used to be a White Exclusive Coupe which somebody used a lot as I used to see it very regularly down at the local shopping centre. Then all of a sudden I started never seeing it again until it disappeared altogether and I have never seen it since!

Very interesting project and story, great rescue!

Jack.

Thank you jack. It was a big shock and surprise when I went to see my friend and she was sat there. It brought back so many memories and still wanted it as mine at that point which lead onto joining the forum to see whats what :). I am hoping next month she will be all ready and on the road but I am not pushing to get it complete as I want to take my time and make sure everything is perfect.

Sounds like you do have a story like mine he might have sold it or hiding it away somewhere but it is a big shame that people put cars like this away as they should be out on the road :D.

• 3 weeks later...

Has been a while since I have added a post. At the weekend I painted the engine and gearbox and I have just finished painting the subframe. I got a message from Chris that the sill is on so not going to be long now until we start painting the body I cant wait :D.

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Todays work was spraying the engine with 2 pak paint in black. As you can see it is already painted but I really wasn't happy with the finished product. So I decided to prepare the engine and gearbox. So after 3 hours the engine and box was prepared to take the paint.

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

It didn't take long to dry and only look me about 30 mins to spray the engine and box. But once it was dry it looked how I wanted to so all paid off. Only things left are the rocker covers and intake. 

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

Subframe is now back together shocks in place and have to say they look awesome. All bolts have been fully cleaned and put back really does look good. Started to put the brakes all together and found out that the company had sent me the wrong discs. They look like A series ones but after fitting the newly rebuilt caliper they where scratching. After measuring them and putting them against a set of B/C series discs chris had we found them to be the same. So now after the right discs and having to sell the ones I have as I don't have the box and it is out of return time.

The manta is coming along really really nicely now the final primer is on. There are only a couple of areas that need finishing off but she is very close to getting painted but the underside is now fully finish and undersealed. The engine is also fully finished and now back on the subframe.

IMAG0399.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

• Like 4

Got a present in the post today which are my shiny new mirrors they look awesome very happy. On another note it looks like the car will be getting sprayed at the weekend or early next week cant wait :D not long now people :D

IMAG0404.jpg

• Like 1

Today was spent getting Chris's garage ready to spray the beast. When I turned up to start work I had a great surprise when I saw this :D

IMAG0405.jpg

Now the garage is ready so next week will be fully painted :D. Ow and the engine is almost finished. :D

IMAG0410.jpg

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 3