Parts Shopping List For My Latest Hatch

Rick-Manta

UPDATED 20th July 2014 ... Still need a few bits and bobs for my hatch project. Can collect upto 1 1/2 hours from Bristol or will need postage. Thanks

1. Differential (3.67:1 Ratio for 1.8S axle) - I'll still keep looking, I do have one on it's way here without bearings and shims. I'm unlikely to succeed in rebuilding mine using this one but everyone loves a trier :D

2. GTE side skirts - with the arch pieces. They don't have to be mint as the car will be resprayed (it's anthracite) and I don't need the fittings as I usually weld small threaded bar to the sill to fit these.

3. Exclusive/Irmscher steering wheel with boss - with good condition leather and the boss cover/sleeve, I don't need the spongy pad thing that covers the wheel centre though.

4. Recaro seats, ideally early type. I need seat runners too as have a 1.8S Berlinetta. I'm in two minds about the interior as I'd like it to be the full black early style but will have to change most of the grey to black and it could get expensive, so I am considering just replacing the fronts with the grey recaros, which I'm not that keen on, like I say, two minds! :unsure: I now just need back hatch seats in Daytona check

5. K&N air filter for varijet 2 carb - Part Number 56-9037, that's the bolt on one, not the element/panel filter, it doesn't have to be that good as I have a cleaning kit and it's just for temporary use.

6. Black carpet - As per above notes on the seats

7. Black parcel shelf with the side speaker cover things

8. Centre console/tunnel top - Mine's scratched to shit and looks awful, in grey

9. Silver 'MANTA GTE' decal set, decent copies of OE spec - I know the club did very good ones of these but only ever previously got any of them at Billing

10. Headlamp wiper arms - For square lamps, I have the motors fitted but the wipers arms are missing the plastic bit that holds the blades on

11. 400 Englemann mirrors (or copies) - Not too fussed on if they're genuine, but must be complete. Could do with a drivers side mirror blank too.

12. Dynamat or similar - Enough to cover the floor and bulkhead areas

13. Rear hatch seats in Daytona check (black edge)

14. Black boot floor carpet/spare wheel cover (hatch), as in the fabric one, not the squidgy plastic one

15. A Vauxhall/Opel 8v cam cover/rocker cover that's been chromed, polished up or powder coated - I'm not particularly in need of this but would be nice to help with my engine bay dressing, else I'm just going to polish or paint the one I have.

16. Any of the Clive Armstrong, Opel 2000, Custom Solutions shiny bits that you might have except a wiper motor cover (which I have) again, not a desparate need to finish the car but would be nice to have most of it all again..

17. Door cards with the handles and door pockets - the black ones that were commonplace in a GTE

I am based in Bishopsworth, Bristol. Thanks, Rick  

Edited by Rick-Manta

Thanks, it's an idea but that's going to sell for a third to a half the value of the car and my budget will not allow for an LSD. It's interesting though as I'd would have doubted the availiability of a 1.8 LSD, most redtop and other conversions opt for the GTE axle as the ratio suits the gearing better on a twincam.

Just a guess but I think the 1.8 axle was just so the Manta GT/J and Berlinetta had a sub 10 second 0-60 time when these were introduced, just so the more expensive Crapri and 318 wouldn't embarrase it at traffic lights. Better the axle than the gearbox as a second order from Getrag would have been very expensive..

Edited by Rick-Manta

Carpet, decals (pending their arrival and I find they're good copies) and the headlamp wipers are sorted.. To be honest the headlamp wipers were left in a bag in the car but they're missing the plastic things that attach the arms to the blades, so dunno if I can actually use them or not!?

I also would be in the market for a very good condition set of silver GTE alloys, I have a set on the car already but they're a bit marked so for the cost of a refurb, I maybe able to get some decent replacements?? Possibly swap/px for mine as they have some Yokohama racing tyres on, and do they ever grip..

11. 400 Englemann mirrors (or copies) - Not too fussed on if they're genuine, but must be complete. Could do with a drivers side mirror blank too.

I have plenty here but no mounting blocks, and only have blocks for brand new sets which will be outwith your budget, you mention copies, beware of them as you will buy twice or 3 times as they are crap and fall off very very easily, basically you get what you pay for with them i'm afraid, I get enquiries all the time looking for parts for these as they have fallen off etc, but cannot help them as I only source and deal in the genuine item, however you do get comments like this one below-

I reckon Englemans are way over priced for what they actually are this seems to be compounded by the fact that certain people buy them up at a reasonable price only to bump up the price and sell them on to fellow clubs members at a profit !! foul play if you ask me after all isnt being a member of the club suppose to help locate these rare parts not get ripped off by some 'make a quick buck middle man' ???

Mind you I don't see him sourcing or remaking any parts!!

• Like 2

Would a pair of complete and new englemanns be more than say... £100?

I'm in full support of free enterprise so would certainly not critise anyone buying low and selling high, although offering a small discount to a club member wouldn't put you in bad light ;-)

I've had a pair of the 'victory' ones that Gary linked above, back when they were first made as they were really cheap. For the money I really wasn't disappointed, but they only copy Englemanns in basic shape as they're bigger and less rounded. However you'd need to fit them with bolts as they have self tappers in their own kit which are no good at all, also the case would take a hell of a lot of prep to give them a flat enough base to paint them to match body colour. The mirrors I'm not in a hurry for as they're really a finishing touch to the project, I wouldn't have bothered if my car had the optional nearside mirror, but since it hasn't, I may as well look for sportier ones than trying to find an OE passenger side mirror (plus they're easier to fit!)

Keep me posted bud :-)

I'm in full support of free enterprise so would certainly not critise anyone buying low and selling high, although offering a small discount to a club member wouldn't put you in bad light ;-)

I've had a pair of the 'victory' ones that Gary linked above, back when they were first made as they were really cheap. For the money I really wasn't disappointed, but they only copy Englemanns in basic shape as they're bigger and less rounded. However you'd need to fit them with bolts as they have self tappers in their own kit which are no good at all, also the case would take a hell of a lot of prep to give them a flat enough base to paint them to match body colour. The mirrors I'm not in a hurry for as they're really a finishing touch to the project, I wouldn't have bothered if my car had the optional nearside mirror, but since it hasn't, I may as well look for sportier ones than trying to find an OE passenger side mirror (plus they're easier to fit!)

Not able to see that link, but that comment was just having a go, as I said the guy does not source or re make any parts so his opinion he can keep to himself.

I source the parts etc as a hobby and most of the time I have to pay out first and gradually get it back as it sells which can be quite a considerable time but the guy does not realise this there is also postage costs etc etc but i'm not going to bore you all with that but just trying to get a point across really

Brand new mirrors are a bit more than £100 i'm afraid but I have loads of second hand ones but no mounting blocks but if you can get any blocks I will certainly do you a deal on a set and I have brand new blanking plates available and I may have that optional nearside mirror if you want to go that route, but keep clear of the Chinese tat, so very poorly made and as I mentioned before, you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

What N/S mirror are you missing Rick, is it the one with the inside adjusting knob? I have one of those if it.'s what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Rick. I have pretty much a whole car here in bits. get in touch and come on down.

Thanks mate, I've tried calling a few times and doesn't connect, it did ring through once but didn't get an answerphone or anything. Where in Cornwall are you?

Julian, it's just a standard post 1983 mirror as it was an optional extra on both the GTE and Berlinetta. It's blanked off as normal so thought that'd be a good excuse to fit 400 mirrors as I'd only have to blank the driver side.

I can get the mounting blocks made, they will be pricey and I am only interested in supplying through lepo5 as he has been involved with the development and they would allow the genuine mirrors he has with no mounts to be on sold with new custom made mounts.

I need to probably get a batch made as the bulk of the money is in the setting up of the 5 axis CNC machine.

stay away from the chinese copies, they really are not worth the money and you will end up then buying the real deal and chucking the chinese ones in the bin. :unsure:

Edited by opelmantagsi
  • Like 3

I can get the mounting blocks made, they will be pricey and I am only interested in supplying through lepo5 as he has been involved with the development and they would allow the genuine mirrors he has with no mounts to be on sold with new custom made mounts.

I need to probably get a batch made as the bulk of the money is in the setting up of the 5 axis CNC machine.

stay away from the chinese copies, they really are not worth the money and you will end up then buying the real deal and chucking the chinese ones in the bin. :unsure:

Rick, my apologies for the thread hijack, lol Derek, give me a shout and we can sort out a payment etc for the set up of the CNC machine.

• Like 1

the copies are the same size as Englemann mirrors , the glass and mounting blocks are the same as Englemann mirrors as i bought a set when some idiot broke the mounting block on my genuine Englemann mirrors

they wont fall off if you use correct screws as i kept them on for over a year ,The FACT is there made from a lesser grade plastic and glass

and no it was not me who made the above comments

• Like 1

the copies are the same size as Englemann mirrors , the glass and mounting blocks are the same as Englemann mirrors as i bought a set when some idiot broke the mounting block on my genuine Englemann mirrors

they wont fall off if you use correct screws as i kept them on for over a year ,The FACT is there made from a lesser grade plastic and glass

and no it was not me who made the above comments

Are they? I've bought the ones pictures in the German ebay link and I could have sworn that the 'bullet' shaped housing was not only larger but a slightly different shape, it was a while back mind.. If the blocks fit then that could be good news as for any of the genuine englemanns about that are block-less as for £20, it'd be worth it for them alone.. So how much are genuine englemanns worth without the block? :D

Thanks for the info gents, no worries about hijacking as far as I'm concerned it's an open forum and anyone can discuss what they like.. So who likes plus size curvy brunettes ;)

Edited by Rick-Manta

Are they? I've bought the ones pictures in the German ebay link and I could have sworn that the 'bullet' shaped housing was not only larger but a slightly different shape, it was a while back mind.. If the blocks fit then that could be good news as for any of the genuine englemanns about that are block-less as for £20, it'd be worth it for them alone.. So how much are genuine englemanns worth without the block? :D

Thanks for the info gents, no worries about hijacking as far as I'm concerned it's an open forum and anyone can discuss what they like.. So who likes plus size curvy brunettes ;)

Brunettes are fine with me not too much of a plus size though.

The mounting blocks of the cheap copies are the problem, whatever they made them out of is too brittle and break very easily and I would not think it is with the weight of the mirror housing or base as these are wafer thin as it is, I can easily sell you a set of Genuine mirrors but would not recommend the use of the cheap copy blocks but it is your money and choice, and up to you what way you fit them.

not had a problem using the copies blocks for well over a few years , would not go swinging on any make of mounting block though

like i say i will take pictures of both items when i can so people can make there mind up there selves

as with all good makes there is a scene tax , what i dont mind paying for quality

just offering a fair comparison for no gain either way

Bloody ebay sellers! I asked a chap who lists self printed red exclusive decals if he can make some in silver for a standard GTE and explained that a standard set would just be another 'Manta GTE' instead of the 'exclusive'. Sure he said, just add that to the confirmation page to remind him, so I did and bought some.

11 hours hard work on a Saturday and I'm cheered up by their arrival, only to find he's sent me f**king red exclusive ones!!

Case opened, lucky my respray won't be for at least a year!

In fairness, apart from the exclusive badge being far too small the others seem to be spot on and the proper shape with no sharp pointy bits in the font.

Edited by Rick-Manta