My Family Mantas, Do Any Still Exist?

Jack

Hello Manta enthusiasts,

This is a topic that I have wanted to post for a little while now but it hasn't until now gone from a thought in my head to the club website. I am going to list the number plates of all of the Mantas that have been through my family. There have been 7 in total and all of them have been owned by my godfather except one that my dad has owned.  

I came to the conclusion not long ago that I think none of them potentially exist anymore which is just the saddest thing. If anyone has a photo or even a little bit of history/stories about any of them for example maybe you can remember seeing one or maybe you can remember the person who owned one of them. Anything like that would be greatly appreciated because I have such great memories of all of them and so many great stories of all of them.

Here are the Mantas in question;

E404 RPW - Dolphin Grey Irmscher Exclusive Coupe

E100 OMM -  Monaco Blue Exclusive Coupe the last Manta owned by my godfather. Recently (at Billing) I got reunited with it and met the owner, really great person.

D475 SDM - Monaco Blue Exclusive Hatchback, the one that my dad owned this was a disaster story.

F910 DGO - Carmine Red GT/E Exclusive Coupe this Manta was another disaster story.

F22 MNR - Glacier or Polar White GT/E Exclusive Coupe, this was my godfathers second ever Manta and he bought it twice.

E254 PFV - Monaco Blue Automatic GT/E Exclusive Coupe, my godfather used this one as his every day car for a while back in the late 90's.

E??? ??? - This Manta was my godfathers first ever Manta and even he doesn't know the number plate so this one is a long lost one. :(

I do really hope one glorious day that E100 OMM makes it into my ownership one day because that would be one heck of a story and as a first Manta that would be even better.

Thanks for reading this and I hope you enjoyed the little descriptions that I added and like I said if you have any photo's of any of them or stories/memories or even history about them, please let me know. ;)

Best regards to the Manta community,

Jack.

• Like 1

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/Default.aspx

Put the number plates on this site Jack

Geoff

Hi Geoff thanks for that I have already done that in the past and all of them have not been taxed for many years now. That's why it would be awesome if someone had any pictures of them anywhere. Like for example the Dolphin Grey Coupe, I have no photos of that car at all and there is only one component that I know of that still survives off it. The original Irmscher steering wheel that my Manta owning friend is going to use on his project GT/E.

Edited by Jack

Hi Geoff thanks for that I have already done that in the past and all of them have not been taxed for many years now. That's why it would be awesome if someone had any pictures of them anywhere. Like for example the Dolphin Grey Coupe, I have no photos of that car at all and there is only one component that I know of that still survives off it. The original Irmscher steering wheel that my Manta owning fiend is going to use on his project GT/E.

Jack your typo gave me a laugh there 'Manta owning fiend' :lol: I've been called one of those a few times! :D

• Like 2

Even though they are untaxed you might be surprised what might be lurking in people's garages.

My Ascona that I bought in 2008 had been off the radar for 13 years, and my GT/j project was last taxed in 1998 and the DVLA don't know it so there is a possibility.

Quite how you find them I don't know! But the forums and communities like here are a good place to start

• Like 2

Yeah i've been looking for my first Manta BWR 876S of which i owned 1985 - 1990 1.6s. It says last taxed in 1991. The lad who bought it had a Manta that he had crashed 2.0 sr so i presume he's used mine to rebuild his. But you never know.I've been round to where he use to live but no trace. It must be a sentimental thing. 

• Like 1

The B series I have in my lock up was last on the road in 1990. Been off since then...... People would normally assume its dead, but alas, its undercover undergoing surgery. Infact, I had a previous owner message me about it not long ago. I bet theres hundreds of "off the radar" mantas out there somewhere. Just finding them is the problem, before its too late!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone thats quite encouraging because I was under the impression that to keep a car off the road you had to put it on SORN but its good that you dont have to and just keep it in a lockup somewhere. Also I didnt think that the DVLA can sometimes not know about things which makes sense I guess. Fingers crossed!

I cannot imagine myself seeing any of them again, just imagining the Dolphin Grey Irmscher parked up at Billing is really nostaligic.

It's your fingers that miss out the letters!! DON'T put the blame on the keyboard :D

My keyboard and laptop are old now and in my experience when you buy a computer new it gradually gets worse the minute you turn it on until a few years down the line it is useless, just like mine. :)

What do they say

"a bad tradesman always blames his tools" ?  :)

I have heard it was ' a bad workman always blames his tools' but computers are just rubbish they are not tools. :) Mind you, they do have good uses like logging onto the Manta Club.

Even though they are untaxed you might be surprised what might be lurking in people's garages.

My Ascona that I bought in 2008 had been off the radar for 13 years, and my GT/j project was last taxed in 1998 and the DVLA don't know it so there is a possibility.

Quite how you find them I don't know! But the forums and communities like here are a good place to start

I really hope that the same thing has happened to them that happened to your GT/J, I hope they are not dead. :o

I have just typed them all into the DVLA again and none of them have been taxed for ages, infact the most recent one is the Blue Automatic which was last taxed in 2008, the last time I went to Billing in a Manta as well!!

Trying to find them like you said is going to be a very hard task and I am not sure how to start seriously looking? Don't really know any other places I can ask and I am guessing that nobody has any pictures of them either. :(

I'm keeping my hopes up never the less though and see what happens.

Cheers,

Jack.

Yeah i've been looking for my first Manta BWR 876S of which i owned 1985 - 1990 1.6s. It says last taxed in 1991. The lad who bought it had a Manta that he had crashed 2.0 sr so i presume he's used mine to rebuild his. But you never know.I've been round to where he use to live but no trace. It must be a sentimental thing. 

Yes I know what you mean and I would be exactly the same if I thought I had any idea where my family Manta's could actually be but I just have no idea. I don't know how to go about finding out where they could possibly be either that's why I wanted to know if anybody had any pictures of them anywhere from a Manta meet years ago maybe but nothing as of yet.