AUTOMATIC BOX

JULIAN BEST

Has anyone had the problem of fluid in the AUTOMATIC, or (MANUAL box) leaking out from the speedo cable connection to the box? I haven't had a good inspection yet but it looks as though the fluid is running into the cable and leaking out where the cable is close to the chassis, so I'm thinking that the outer casing of the cable could be cracked or broken in that area. I will have to get the old overalls out and get underneath, by the look of it!!!!It's times like this that I wish I was about 20 years younger!!!  Why has this club got me listed as a USER?  I have been a MEMBER for a long time, about eleven years. 

Edited by JULIAN BEST

Hi Julian, the cable is connected on your gearbox on something that looks like a cilinder:

tachoritzel-tachoantrieb-mit-dichtungsse

if you pull it out of your gearbox you can pull out the plastic sprocket and find this:

tachoritzel-tachoantrieb-mit-dichtungsse

the only thing you need to do is fit new O-rings. These O-rings are the same for 4-speed, 5-speed and autoboxes.

The colour of that plastic part can be different, cause of the type rear axle/engine.

Think the administrator will fix your "old" profile, grts Herman 

hi. yes 100% as herman says .

also as you have found out ,if it does leak past this drive unit it will come out of any cracks in the cable and most cars with their original cable will be suffering some leakage or cracks by now.

my cable had a very small drip in this area but cable was otherwise working perfect so i seem to remember just rubber taping it up in the late 90's and it hasnt dripped since but i will now go and replace the o rings in the drive too.

usually on auto boxes the kickdown cable seems to suffer a similar if not worse fate especially due to its close proximity to the hot exhaust.i spent 5 years tracking down this leak on a carlton box !

best case either way is to replace o rings and new speedo cable for the original issue

Does anyone know what size those ‘O’ rings are please?

Just thinking that while I am in there and having just replaced the cable, I might as well take a look at the ‘O’ rings at the same time.

Just checked the original Opel parts catalogue, but no dimensions found. So went to the internet with those partnumbers and sorry no info.

The one on the outside of the cilinder is a normal O-ring, but the one on the plastic part has got a lip to keep the oil in. Still available at this site:

https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/Seal-set-speedo-drive-transmission-Getrag-4-speed-automatic-Opel-cih-OHC

The other seal looks like an A type V-Ring seal. If you can find the size or numbers on it then it might be worth looking on bearings 'r' us or Simply bearings web sites.

I'm sure I have some but I think they are bigger.

I have used the above websites and no problem buying just one of something if you need it and it can all be done online.

On 18/08/2019 at 11:45, JULIAN BEST said:

Has anyone had the problem of fluid in the AUTOMATIC, or (MANUAL box) leaking out from the speedo cable connection to the box? I haven't had a good inspection yet but it looks as though the fluid is running into the cable and leaking out where the cable is close to the chassis, so I'm thinking that the outer casing of the cable could be cracked or broken in that area. I will have to get the old overalls out and get underneath, by the look of it!!!!It's times like this that I wish I was about 20 years younger!!!  Why has this club got me listed as a USER?  I have been a MEMBER for a long time, about eleven years. 

Hi Julian are you using the correct profile as I only remember you as the omoc member as in my picture 

F9C3D4BE-8F24-4AC6-93CC-2DFD16F1489F.png

13 hours ago, garymanc said:

Hi Julian are you using the correct profile as I only remember you as the omoc member as in my picture 

I've tried all ways Jess, but it comes back to this USER one all the time. I'm not all that good with computers at the best of times, I think I'm still in the days I was in school with a piece of slate and a stick of chalk, so at 85 years old, it's a job to get my head around things when they go wrong!!!  Admin hasn't even bothered to contact mewhich I don't understand, I mean, I've been a member for over eleven years, so they must have heard of me!!!!

I've been looking to see if there is any other club that would be of advantage, but unable to find one so far, not that there would be a club as good as this one HAS been!

Anyway, got my speedo cable to sort out today, many thanks.

Julian.

2 hours ago, JULIAN BEST said:

Well put it this way Jess, It will come out far quicker than ADMIN takes to answer a message, EVEN IF IT WAS WELDED IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In case you haven't seen it Julian, I have started a thread to see if anyone else can help you.  

As you will see, the wheels are slowly turning - sit tight matey, help IS coming!

Hope the speedo cable turns out OK - mine is fitted, but as yet untested, due to the ongoing radiator issue, service of the auto box and waiting for the speedo drive sealing parts...

3 hours ago, IanMc said:

In case you haven't seen it Julian, I have started a thread to see if anyone else can help you.  

As you will see, the wheels are slowly turning - sit tight matey, help IS coming!

Hope the speedo cable turns out OK - mine is fitted, but as yet untested, due to the ongoing radiator issue, service of the auto box and waiting for the speedo drive sealing parts...

Unable to see it Ian, must be because I am an illegal imigrant or something like that!!! Anyway Thanks Mate, something is bound to come from that as I think everyone reads your threads!!

3 hours ago, IanMc said:

I'm waiting for the "O" ring kit to come from Germany.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2019 at 23:22, garymanc said:

I am unable to get into the members section, because according to this club I am not a member, I wonder if I can claim all the money that I have paid this club over the last twelve years!!!!!!