Axle pinion height setting tool

Manta hatch

Hi any one on here happen to know we’re I can get a pinion height arbour tool our the dimensions so I can get one made I no the arbour (bar ) locatates in to holders which fit in the diff bearing cups so these obviously are the same size and diff bearing cups it’s the bar is it centered in the cups and I see that the bar increases were the 0 measurement is takin is the increase to put the measurement in line with the top of the diff bearing carrier on the diff were the cage fits ? Our is the 0 line the centre of the diff cups cheers 

not quite sure what you mean? but i have an A series workshop manual and they have section on tools for various jobs with the sizes if you needed to make them. I can have a look at the diff section and see what they show if that would help?

Andy

Hi yes that would be brilliant thanks Andy it’s the pinion height setting tools I am after I no it can be done via old fashioned measure before you strip and take into account the pinion settings but I would prefer to gauge it properly I like precision not compromise cheers John 

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi John & Andy, got all the info. Tool numbers and so on. One problem: Got the pictures but the text is in German or Dutch/Flemish. Can you use that? 

Grts, Herman.

Hey Herman

I you can post it and i can check the workshop manual i have and if anything is in mine that has the english i can scan and post up. I have sections on my site but not the part with the tools etc.. Worth me doing it and adding to the site if its the same as you have.

TpEkuzX.jpg

wHY38QZ.jpg

816T3I6.jpg

6Rw5i6J.jpg

MyPqMCO.jpg

h7qvdgZ.jpg

BTzGr7W.jpg

QHxzS5T.jpg

XupvrIA.jpg

oMjXtbs.jpg

Never done it myself, I remember you got to check with some kind of paint where the gears touch. Seems to be a job that has got to be done with precision. If the gears have too less play your axle gets ruined.

Succes!

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

TpEkuzX.jpg

wHY38QZ.jpg

816T3I6.jpg

6Rw5i6J.jpg

MyPqMCO.jpg

h7qvdgZ.jpg

BTzGr7W.jpg

QHxzS5T.jpg

XupvrIA.jpg

oMjXtbs.jpg

Never done it myself, I remember you got to check with some kind of paint where the gears touch. Seems to be a job that has got to be done with precision. If the gears have too less play your axle gets ruined.

Succes!

Looks the same as mine Herman so i will dig out the manual tomorrow and copy it. Got work in the morning but can scan and upload after lunch.

Got to use engineers blue on the both sets of gears and then check the mesh pattern to get it not too tight and not too lose. did the bearing on mine with new crush washer. Very hard work torquing it up to the required amount with the axel in the car. Got it as close as i could on mine (a bit more luck than skill i think!!) and it was ok and had no problems with it.

2 hours ago, Manta hatch said:

Hi thanks yes I have that copy in English in the 4th page down it is the dimensions of tool s1063/1 and s1308 thanks very much for you help so far 

Is it just page 04-29 that you need or shall i just scan it all?

Andy

Yes the pliers used to shim the diff back lash Are a work of art I already have these it’s the arbour u see u Danny’s video he inserts the arbour the flat bar across the cop to hold its verniers he zeros the verniers on top of the arbour (inserted into the diff bearing holders ) then takes a measurement to the top of the pinion be he must no the length of the tool that u use on top on the pinion (tool s1308 in the attached above ) as he does not use one but asking as you no the tool length it’s ok as u just subtract that from your measurement I no the Kent Moore tool is. Km238 and that comes with the 3 components show above but can’t find one for love nor money.  I no I could measure from top of diff case and the add our subtract the pinion height figures and it will be very close but I would prefer it to be spot on 

Still struggling with this one lads I am going to measure a 3.44 a 3 .67 and a rekord 3.89 today to see if I can find the centre line I now have a nice 3.89 from Danny sohns thanks to member rutts for outing me on to them I will say very fast delivery from neatherlands 2 days !! Excellent service and quality parts well recommend big thanks to Andy and herman for help so far 

• Like 1

Hi John, gonna follow this topic too. Got planns for the future to fit a commo rear axle under the GSI (Not easy with Belgian MOT) so everything you find out is great for me. Never had time to concentrate on that kind of work so I am glad you do 😉.  About Danny: Know him personally for some years and he is a wizard with those rear axles. This is the man himself:

g7Vn6GM.jpg

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

Measured 3.44 and 3.89 last night but forgot to take my best verniers I am going to remeasure with precision depth gauge later and also do I 3.67.  But the measurement I have done have been very very nearly the same and it has gave me the same center line all but a couple hundredths of a millimetre so I may I have crack will be back with some better pics !

• Like 1

Hi that it a Opel rekord d pigs head (centre section ) I brought from Danny sohns in neatherlands for the 3.89 cwp the rekord cwp can be used with very small modification the the splined barrel the torque tube contacts to which I will cover in detail very soon 

I believe Danny sohns chopped the tubes as they use brackets etc to build a proper 400 spec axle  (4linked straight prop no torque tube etc )   But the theory has crossed my mind to reuse the pigs head and 5 link and use the rekord drive so I can get rid of the torque tube (a project to come I think) . John 

Ps I will cover the removal of the tubes but you have to machine out the plugs welds to remove them I will do this on the mill at work in the future and document it it’s ideal as you can play around with axle length but custom length half shafts would be needed 

Thanks John,

info is golden on such things. I have a 4HA from scimitar GTE for my black coupe that I have already purchased new spring hangers etc to weld into place. Will be 4linking and keeping as close to the original pickup points as possible as I want to keep rear seats. Not decided on panhandle yet. Scimitar uses a Watts linkage off the rear diff housing, so might be using this. Just have to figure out the ARB pickups, even though rear is not that big a deal anyway.

jag powerlok diff should fit this, but as usual setting up information is scarce and mostly lost in the brains of those clever engineers in the past. Although I am loath to pull the diff out of my XJR, I do at least have access should it be necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have got a measurement which has worked on 3 different axles I have measured and all have come back within 0.02 of each other I will upload my findings soon I am going to build and check mesh with the measurement I have and will show how I came to the measurements I have ......

I have emailed danny sohns to ask for dimensions and I will pay but have no reply  if anybody noes Danny sohns please ask him I will pay no problem for dimensions 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2