MANTA/CAV EARLY HEADLIGHT

yes definately later type. early ones had the surround like you said.then the style after had a more flat fronted glass up to around 78 ish.these are the next type H4 halogen.quite expensive thou but i suppose they are getting rarer now !

as you say its the reflectors that wear out first ,followed by glue failure causing internal condensation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a problem using later lights on an earlier model? 

Or is it just to keep them period correct? 

My '76 cav had globe style, non halogen bulbs when I first got it which I swapped for halogen units from bro' s manta GT/J - 1x lucas, 1x, Hella. I hadn't noticed any difference, but I have a spare lucas lens to switch with the hella to make them match if it's worth the effort?

I'm not sure if I have the originals any more. The lenses were OK but the reflectors were shot. Would you suggest swapping the lenses back if I can find them?

nothing wrong with fitting later h4 units to earlier models physically or electrically.just straight swap .and shouldnt be anything wrong with it legaly either as they will have the correct beam pattern. thats where swapping reflectors or lenses can be an issue ?

the early cars had the same reflectors but i beleive the bulb sheiding was different .also if i remember correctly the actual non halogen bulbs were a different actual fitting .and non h4 lenses MAY have different pattern ??

some later cars had lucas units but in all my experience of these the reflectors didnt last long (painted plastic rather than chromed metal)

15 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

nothing wrong with fitting later h4 units to earlier models physically or electrically.just straight swap .and shouldnt be anything wrong with it legaly either as they will have the correct beam pattern. thats where swapping reflectors or lenses can be an issue ?

the early cars had the same reflectors but i beleive the bulb sheiding was different .also if i remember correctly the actual non halogen bulbs were a different actual fitting .and non h4 lenses MAY have different pattern ??

some later cars had lucas units but in all my experience of these the reflectors didnt last long (painted plastic rather than chromed metal)

Yes, even a small change bulb orientation can impact the pattern greatly.

Thank you, that makes sense. 

The non halogens were like candles and I needed to hold a torch out of the window to see where I was going! 

I'm guessing the beam pattern is OK as it passed its MOT with them fitted. 

Its probably more important to have useable headlights and forego the period features. 

So the hella units are the best, until they rust, then use the Lucus with Leds?

The lucas ones always seem more expensive and I assumed they were the best.