83 1.8s clutch problem

Alsmithy

Hi

im currently doing some work on a 83 manta for a friend the car has been dry stored for 15 or so years and the owners son wants it out and back on the road, i have been tasked with sorting the mechanical bits out before its off the bodyshop.

the car is a 1983 1.8 s, i think! Unfortunately i have not worked on any mantas before so my knowledge is a little thin to say the least, i have worked this out by the fact its not fuel injected, if im wrong please correct me.

i have got it running no problem just strip and clean of the carb and some fresh fuel, however i have an issue with the clutch, when i recived the car it was thought that the clutch plate was stuck the cover plate and flywheel, on removal of the box, it was found that it was stuck,  the owner supplied me with a new clutch kit, which on fitting I noticed straight away that when i put the cover plate up to the flywheel there was a gap between the 2 and as i pulled it down on the bolts it pretty much moved the fingers on the cover in by around 30mm, which ment that was not enough travel on the realise arm to operate the clutch, so obviously it was the wrong clutch kit, so he ordered another one from somewhere else and it was exactly the same. 

he has now spent £250ish on 2 clutch kits and still no further forward,  could anyone please help me trackinh down the right clutch kit as parts do seem a little  tricky to get hold of.

thanks in advance, sorry for just jumping on here and asking for help.

Had this with a manta 1.8 box onto an xe and it would only work with a 4speed thrust bearing turned out to be the pressure plate on my car ps I will be removing a 1.8 engine soon from a recent purchase to fit a c20let you more than welcome to the flywheel and clutch etc if it helps save another manta 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alsmithy said:

Hi

im currently doing some work on a 83 manta for a friend the car has been dry stored for 15 or so years and the owners son wants it out and back on the road, i have been tasked with sorting the mechanical bits out before its off the bodyshop.

the car is a 1983 1.8 s, i think! Unfortunately i have not worked on any mantas before so my knowledge is a little thin to say the least, i have worked this out by the fact its not fuel injected, if im wrong please correct me.

i have got it running no problem just strip and clean of the carb and some fresh fuel, however i have an issue with the clutch, when i recived the car it was thought that the clutch plate was stuck the cover plate and flywheel, on removal of the box, it was found that it was stuck,  the owner supplied me with a new clutch kit, which on fitting I noticed straight away that when i put the cover plate up to the flywheel there was a gap between the 2 and as i pulled it down on the bolts it pretty much moved the fingers on the cover in by around 30mm, which ment that was not enough travel on the realise arm to operate the clutch, so obviously it was the wrong clutch kit, so he ordered another one from somewhere else and it was exactly the same. 

he has now spent £250ish on 2 clutch kits and still no further forward,  could anyone please help me trackinh down the right clutch kit as parts do seem a little  tricky to get hold of.

thanks in advance, sorry for just jumping on here and asking for help.

I've seen quite a few 1.8 and early 2.0 ohc clutches where whoever built them put the centre in the wrong way on the friction plate.

This leaves you with either the springs touching the flywheel or the problem you describe.

Do you have pictures of the clutch kit at all?

Thanks 

Thanks so much for your help and kind offers of help, i can confirm that it is the 1.8 thanks to the picture that was put on, im not going to back at the workshop until Monday i will take some pics of the cover plate and put them on. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alsmithy said:

Thanks so much for your help and kind offers of help, i can confirm that it is the 1.8 thanks to the picture that was put on, im not going to back at the workshop until Monday i will take some pics of the cover plate and put them on. 

I hope the owner joins the club if it gets sorted out. 
good luck with the fix 

• Like 1

how does the parts compare with the ones you took off.?

without insulting your intelligence and abilities - any new clutch will have a gap which will cause the centre fingers to bend in when tightened up the issue here seems to be the amount ? correct or otherwise ? 

then once the bell housing is on the release lever free play / dimention is adjusted at the pivot end first ( ball )it will need adjusting .

then the cable is adjusted to give the official pedal or your own preferred amount.i like a low bite point so usually set them just below level with the brake .but i think factory is slightly higher.

• Like 1

Ok thanks.   Im fully aware that there will a small gap between the 2 parts but this gap is around 9mm which is far to much, 

the parts that came off were a bit of a mess but look like they were new, and have not done much work,  since they were fitted after a conversation with the owner over the weekend it turns out that the reason the car was parked up  years ago we because his farther fitted a clutch to it and could never get it to operate correctly so you just put it in a corner of the barn, so im guesseing there was an issue then to!

• 2 weeks later...

I now have some pictures of the car and the clutch.

how do i put pictures onto the post?

thanks manta hatch for the offer of your no longer needed parts and i will definitely save another manta!!!! If i need them i will let you know.  

thanks

8 hours ago, Alsmithy said:

I now have some pictures of the car and the clutch.

how do i put pictures onto the post?

thanks manta hatch for the offer of your no longer needed parts and i will definitely save another manta!!!! If i need them i will let you know.  

thanks

You will need to use hosting as your not a member of omoc( join the web member, I think it’s only £20 and you get access to a lot of other forum content!).

Use https://imgbb.com or https://imgur.com/upload  then you post the links it generates into a post for here.