24v head

Buz

So I had the chance to buy a complete 3 litre 24v engine off ebay about 2 months ago and I thought I was clever by playing hardball with the seller until someone else bought it. Now it’s haunting me everyday and I’m beating myself up over it. So does anybody have or know one for sale. I only want the head to have a go at the 16v conversion so just a head will do. Just to complete the story I could have had the engine for £150  (  condition was unknown )   Thanks in advance 

You know the chain guides for those are worth like £300 now as hard to get hold of for the 16v conversions. 🤦🏻‍♂️
They do pop up on various FB pages. Are you a member of the 16v conversion group on FB? as I think that would be a great place to ask for one.

• Like 1

I know , I was a fool. It’s probably just a whim or a phase I’m going through. I have recently joined Facebook purely for groups and parts so I will have a look .👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Picked this engine up today. Managed to get it off eBay. Six hour round trip but at £150 its a steal. I’ve assured my wife that this is the last engine I will buy for the car ( now have 4 😱). 

30CB735B-153B-4F4E-B248-C64CB99ECD32.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks Herman. The plan is to use the 2.4  block and cut down the 3.0 litre head.  It’s a relatively expensive route but it’s one I can’t seem to ignore   Going to run it on carbs too . I appreciate that throttle bodies and injectors are probably more reliable and less hassle once done but I just can’t get away from carbs. Noticed a diesel crank for sale on Facebook too 😱. Where do you stop 😳 . I’ve still got to strip the shell , blast it and weld it yet but I just want to get all the parts before I start as it costs more to buy when you need them .

• Like 2

Well Buz, it is sure not the easy way. The 24V engine-block is total different from the old 12V engine-block. The cut-off head is not plug & play on a CIH 4cilinder block. But I have respect for your choice. 

• Like 1

I’m a bit of a dreamer so I will probably end up with the1.9 that’s in it with a k&n filter on it 😜

I’ve done a lot of research into what’s needed and have access to machinery so hopefully it will be ok 😬 . I’m going to need to find a good engine machine shop for bottom end rebore and I’d would like to get the head done at the same time 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is also a cut-off 24V head, in the Kadett400 replica. I know the builder of this car, he gave the engine some nice "400" details (look at the fake covers of the cams and the nice alu rocker cover) to look as the real car:

26196281_1002272136577846_78733525968788

• Like 4

I’m currently working on a 16v CIH engine, and have the refurbished head in the workshop. I’m now looking at getting the 2.4 bottom end sorted out and have a brilliant local machine shop that are helping me with the build. I’m happy to share photos, tips, knowledge etc as there are plenty of pitfalls in doing this conversion. Total cost can run into many thousands though, as the cams alone aren’t cheap. 
photoS for inspiration!

B6D53C2F-6066-4ECC-956C-DB493A1F1516.jpeg

D5EFFC56-6542-44E1-8251-E881874C128F.jpeg

0161E126-EF73-4FC3-8752-EFA2978B3711.jpeg

• Like 6

Hey Paul, what about this nice front cover:

Deckel-Kettenkasten-A400-design.png

By the way nice project!

Picture of my engine, you can see there are a lot of differences:

ZJxuk30.jpg

Was when I just bought the car, before I removed that ugly yellow paint.

Edited by H-400
  • Like 2

On 30/08/2020 at 09:39, GTEPETE said:

Photo link is here       https://www.garaget.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=307898&p=2

Videos show complete engines....

Hi Pete , thank you for the link. The guy who does the engine is on the 16v Facebook group. I think he must have his own 3D printer and cnc milling centre as he makes his own throttle bodies , intakes, trumpets etc. Very jealous 😍

20 hours ago, Irmscher Man said:

I’m currently working on a 16v CIH engine, and have the refurbished head in the workshop. I’m now looking at getting the 2.4 bottom end sorted out and have a brilliant local machine shop that are helping me with the build. I’m happy to share photos, tips, knowledge etc as there are plenty of pitfalls in doing this conversion. Total cost can run into many thousands though, as the cams alone aren’t cheap. 
photoS for inspiration!

B6D53C2F-6066-4ECC-956C-DB493A1F1516.jpeg

D5EFFC56-6542-44E1-8251-E881874C128F.jpeg

0161E126-EF73-4FC3-8752-EFA2978B3711.jpeg

Paul. Thanks for the photos and for the offer of tips etc. I will definitely be taking you up on that 👍

What about a Frontera lump with a modded  24V rocker cover (for looks) for the time being, or put in the full fat 3.0 Lump....its been done a few times!!!

Remember Irmscher used to sell a 16v rubber rocker cover for CIHs...

7 hours ago, GTEPETE said:

What about a Frontera lump with a modded  24V rocker cover (for looks) for the time being, or put in the full fat 3.0 Lump....its been done a few times!!!

Remember Irmscher used to sell a 16v rubber rocker cover for CIHs...

Personally, I think you would be nuts to go with a 6pot CIH over an XE. I understand the draw of the 400 replica lump, and would consider one myself, but putting that much weight over front axle in Manta is not a great option these days.

I have a 2.4 frontera engine 👍.  Going to rebore it , new pistons and rods and the 16v top end . Simples 😂

The only part I am unsure of is the crank. Obviously with forged pistons and rods it can rev higher but I don’t know if the crank needs to be changed / uprated 

4 hours ago, Buz said:

I have a 2.4 frontera engine 👍.  Going to rebore it , new pistons and rods and the 16v top end . Simples 😂

The only part I am unsure of is the crank. Obviously with forged pistons and rods it can rev higher but I don’t know if the crank needs to be changed / uprated 

What pistons are you going to go with?