Help! First time Opel owner - Manta won't start

Fisherwerke

Ok, So I went out tonight and I was able to get the red one to start with some fresh fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump. Sadly though it’ll start and run for about 5-10seconds then stall…. It does not respond to throttle input at all. It just cuts out and stalls. I must still have a fuel delivery issue of some kind 

if it starts but only runs for a few seconds its worth checking that the pump is running once you let go of starter switch rather than just whilst turning over ?   not sure how the early ones are controlled but the later l jetronic have a relay that will prime and then keep running after starting if it sees a coil tacho output.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisherwerke said:

The red car has yellow injectors so that’s the LE-Jetronic? Where can I find this relay? 

Yes. Pump relay has also a green tacho input to run pump when engine is running, picture showing the relay. You can bridge the pump out with a coin in the fuse board to make sure it’s not a fuelling issue.  Have a read if this 

8A9501F6-BECC-409D-8466-E2D4F3666D50.jpeg

21 hours ago, Fisherwerke said:

When you say from the green wire of the coil. Would this indicate the ignition coil itself is bad? Or as simple as a set of points?

It needs the tacho signal to generate a fuel injection pulse. Think of the ECU as a pulse amplifier. It takesthe  tacho pulse and reshapes it (with inputs from temp, air flow etc) to generate a pulse length for injection.  If the disi is not generating a tacho pulse due to bad condenser/points then expect it to effect the injection. 

• Like 1

On 11/06/2022 at 06:25, Fisherwerke said:

Ok, So I went out tonight and I was able to get the red one to start with some fresh fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump. Sadly though it’ll start and run for about 5-10seconds then stall…. It does not respond to throttle input at all. It just cuts out and stalls. I must still have a fuel delivery issue of some kind 

Thats the coldstart injector working as it should, activated by the time/temp sensor and the startsignal from the startengine. Means your feulpump works. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

if it runs and idles with the 2p trick even when you let go of key and keeps running then it does indeed sound like an issue connected with the relay.i would check for continuity between the green wire into the relay marked terminal 1 and the coil green wire .terminal 1.

if you are able then the rest of this relay can be checked as follows.

30= permanent live in.

87= feed to injectors.

87b= feed to fuel pump via cabin fuse.

31= earth/ground .

15 ignition switched live.

50= ignition switch starter motor signal.

1= coil neg and tacho feeds.

40 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

if it runs and idles with the 2p trick even when you let go of key and keeps running then it does indeed sound like an issue connected with the relay.i would check for continuity between the green wire into the relay marked terminal 1 and the coil green wire .terminal 1.

if you are able then the rest of this relay can be checked as follows.

30= permanent live in.

87= feed to injectors.

87b= feed to fuel pump via cabin fuse.

31= earth/ground .

15 ignition switched live.

50= ignition switch starter motor signal.

1= coil neg and tacho feeds.

It starts and stalls with the new relay. I am guessing mice may have chewed a wire somewhere. 

Ok, so we’ve run the car 20-30 times and it’s super inconsistent. It will run for 10-20 seconds or it will run for 1 minute. Sometimes it runs perfect and sometimes it’s rough. Unplugging the 5th injector, clamping it, unplugging the temp sensor, and unplugging the air meter does nothing 

4 hours ago, Fisherwerke said:

Ok, so we’ve run the car 20-30 times and it’s super inconsistent. It will run for 10-20 seconds or it will run for 1 minute. Sometimes it runs perfect and sometimes it’s rough. Unplugging the 5th injector, clamping it, unplugging the temp sensor, and unplugging the air meter does nothing 

Have you tried the temp sensor from the other car ? These can cause all sorts of running issues. Also make sure the ECU plug is properly pushed into the ECU. 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I had a day on Sunday to look things over again. Found some issues. The fuel pressure regulator had an internal leak allowing fuel to be sucked into the intake through the vacuum port. So the car would start on cold start injector and run poorly for a bit off fuel it was able to draw through the regulator. After testing multiple items we found that the fuel injectors are plugged. Working on cleaning them now. 

• Like 2

wow .so it was using the leak from the regulator to supply its fuel. rather than the actual injectors ! . thats a good find.

you sound like you are getting somewhere now. sorting the injectors and a new regulator should see it up and running. 

well done.