Gunman's Project - I've started this Yoke!

gunman

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it certainly looks great!

Those domestic appliances should think themselves lucky. I repaired my first Manta using part of a panel from a washing machine. All they've got to worry about is a bit of paint.

Nitromors is available in 1 litre tins from Wilkinsons (http://www.wilko.co.uk) and they apparently have it on offer for £3.49 every three months. I bought a stack for another project some time back at that price.

If you don't want to get it onto your personal "parts", these are the things you need:

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=78486

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=53860

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=54929

Trust me, those gauntlets will not dissolve in it, unlike marigolds, nitrile gloves etc.

Cheers,

Joe.

• 1 month later...

Bet you lot thought I had died or given up or something![:D]

Well I haven't, just the better weather getting in the way. i went out tonight to do a bit and got that ' What the hell did i start this caper for?' thought.

Not a lot to report I'm afraid, stripped the front chrossmember and sandblasted. Most of its now painted and poly bushed. It may seem like this isnt much work but its a seriously time comsuming job, spent ages stripping down, cleaning with a cup brush, sandblasting (with only a wee sandblaster[:(]), burning out the old rubber bushes (Dirty mess), jenolite, rust priming and then (to the horror of a robbie[:D][:D]) spraying with 3 coats of hammerite[8D]!( sod it, I'm going back to bodging!)

heres a few pics:

Spot the difference:

DSCF0490.jpg

crossmember brushed/sandblasted (even up the inside!):

DSCF0483.jpg

Crossmember starting to go back in (it'll have to come back out st spray engine bay)

DSCF0556.jpg

Rear axle painted (waiting for a nice person to give me a lift back in[:I]):

DSCF0485.jpg

Tonight was spent stripping the back of one of the guards, I mean to do one right will take about a full week of evenings and a weekend from start to spraying. I'm beginning to wonder if the car will even be ready for billing 07! I've still got so much to do, will I even remember how it all goes back together, will I ever find all the bolts, and will the washing machine ever get cleaned (I know celli wont work, we now have no programme guide on the drawer[:I])

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

• 3 months later...

Right, its been a while since I've had anything nto update on this topic, partly because of the birth of our second son 6 weeks ago and partly because of the massively time consuming job it was getting the engine bay preped.

Well its preped now and tonight I just put 3 coats of 2 pack on it. By my standards it looks right and well[:D].

I now have 2 proplems, Firstly I have left the lead for my camera in work so pics will have to wait 'til morning. Secondly, well.. its the last time i spray in a T shirt[:D][:D]. My skin is now a colour not unlike that of Mr Blobby Minus the spots and I now seem to have red eyelashes[:o)][:I]. Not wanting to wash in celli I suppose I'll be like this for a while[:D], and before you ask, no, I will not post a pic of myself.

Will update with pics in the morning.

HEHE - Gunman's Back and he's swinging a spray gun![:D][8D]

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

quote:Originally posted by gunman

Will update with pics in the morning.

id="quote">id="quote">My clock says it's morning now Mark [:D]

BTW - Spraying 2 Pack paint wearing only a T-shirt is not a good idea. Care should be taken when using 2 pack paint. It contains cyanide. Full overalls, breathing apparatus and fan forced ventilation are therefore essential IMO. Put your health first mate [;)]

OMOC 6005id="blue">

IMG_7018sa.jpg
id="right">

::::::::::: Is minic a bhris béal duine a shrón. :::::::::::
id="green">

Peter, I am well aware of the dangers of 2 pack. I have a smaller compressor out in the wee lads play house wilth a line into the garage running a sata air fed mask. Also I have 2 rad fans mounted against the window of the garage to remove fumes. You can see the corner of them in one of the following pics.

DSCF0704.jpg

DSCF0707.jpg

DSCF0705-1.jpg

I think I am almost happy enough with the results. The garage aint the cleanest at the mo so I've caught some dust.[:(]. Need to get the car back on 4 wheels so I can get out out of the garage and sweep the place down. Then I'll line with clear poly before attempting the main bodywork[;)].

Tony, You're right about the location of the pic, but please note its not a flattering pic of myself, I've lost over 2 stone since then.[^]

quote:Originally posted by gunman

I think I am almost happy enough with the results.

id="quote">id="quote">Looks feckin Deadly Mark! "I think I am almost happy" Will you get up the yard [:D]

OMOC 6005id="blue">

IMG_7018sa.jpg
id="right">

::::::::::: Is minic a bhris béal duine a shrón. :::::::::::
id="green">

quote:Looks feckin Deadly Mark! "I think I am almost happy" Will you get up the yard

id="quote">id="quote">

You can't see all the wee bits in the pics. I suppose I have to tell myself its an engine bay after all[}:)].

The colour doesnt seem to come out right in the photos either, its not that orange[:I].

Started to build up the crossmember, just put in the last of the poly bushes tonight. Found it better to wind them in rather than bash them in (found this out after the top arms[:I])

heres a couple of pics:

Setup for winding in the bushes

DSCF0713.jpg

Nicely rebuilt lower arm, poly bushed and ball jointed[:D]

DSCF0715.jpg

Now comes the problem I've been dreading, I cant seem to find one of the top ball joint bolts, that and quite a few nuts. Look to be M10 x 1.25 but I cant see anywhere on line doing them other than in stainless. Anyone know an online supplier?

I'm gonna have this problem as its a year since it was all taken apart, thats the main reason I want a parts car, manta, cav ascona, dont mind. Ah well, it was bound to happen.

The 4 bolts I need now are M10 x 1.25mm, 20mm long, with no more than a 15mm head and a matching nyloc nut. I have found them online in stainless but didnt want to go that way as I've been told that stainless steel bolts are a no-no for suspension due to the stress on the, so needless to say they will need to be high tensile (although it would be difficult finding a metric fine set screw that wasnt[;)])

The rest of the bolts are fairly Std so I should be able to get them locally, these just causing probs as tey have the smaller head, could always get the grinder out and reduce the head size[8D].

• 3 weeks later...

a wee bit more progress to report. The front crossmember has now been rebuilt with new poly bushes, new ball joints, new bolts (well some of them) and has been fitted back into the car.

The recon steering rack from billing was also fitted tonight although the rubbers were perished from sitting around. New ones now also fitted[^]. New track rod ends also have been fitted although the locking nuts looked a bit rusty so I'm steeping them in jenolite overnight[;)].

I've also done a bit of rubbing down at the paint in the engine bay and have got the 2 inner guards looking quite well actually.

Anyway heres a couple of pics to prove I haven't been lazy:

100_0907.jpg

100_0910.jpg

100_0909.jpg

I have a slight problem[:I] I've been completely stupid and wrecked my steering column[V]. the bearing has come completely apart and all the wee balls have bounced all over the garage and as you'll see from the pics theres no danger of finding them. I think I got slightly excited with the hammer[:I][xx(].

Still as I said earlier this evening, theres a great pleasure to be had from slipping out the the garage to touch up your crossmember[;)]

The car may see the sun (or poss the rain[V]) on its back tomorrow[V][^]

OMOC 5817