Gunman's Project - I've started this Yoke!

gunman

OK, She's sprayed[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Went well i have to say, only hit the hose on the car once[:o)]. didnt to too much damage. Got the usual peel on it but I intend to flat and buff it anyway (you have to when you're as good at spraying as me [:D][:D][:o)][:I])

Sorry but the pics arent too good, the poly oner the ceiling has got a bit of red overspray and have produced some weird lighting effects, not what youd want to be doing photography in at all. Anyway here they are:

sprayed002.jpg

sprayed005.jpg

sprayed004.jpg

sprayed001.jpg

The other problem is my garage isnt big enouth to allow me to get far enough away from the car to take a pic of all of it lol.

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

e-mail : mark_gunning@yahoo.co.uk

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[^] Nice going Mark I bet your glad that end of the work is over and another non rusty manta lives again. Once the buffing is done then you can relax and enjoy the rebuild [^]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

Just been out to have a look at it again, theres a couple of bits could be better[:(]. Have to stop being fussy tho[^].

Erm, I know you said stay out of the garage robbie, but I couldnt help myself[:I], the masking paper is off underneath and its back on wheels now. beginning to look like a car again[^][^]. I'll leave the masking paper on the window and door openings untill its buffed.

I'm going out of the house this afternoon in case I end up back in the garage again[:D].

just need to figure out how to get my hands back to a normal colour instead of bright pink lol.

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

• 4 weeks later...

You couldn't believe it[:(!].

in the words of Jethro... WHAT HAPPENED WAS.....

I ran out of paint with about 300mls to go, I had enought to put the first coats onb the PS guard and quater but not enought to finisht, so I had a 2l tin (from the same company, same brand, same code) extra. aha says I, I'll put the first coats on from the new tin and the last coats on from the old, that way if theres a differnce it wont matter coz the paint on the top will be the same.

Good plan, apart from I didnt count on the following, got a run in the front guard and a small run in the quater.[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]. Not so big a problem in themselves as I'm used to macking minor cock ups like this, but when I cut though them and got them flat you could still see the run and it looked orange. I've resprayed the quater and guard and theres a definate difference between them and the rest of it, it looks duller and is slightly darker in colour. Its hard to describe but its definately different. I dont think theres any way I'm gonna match the paint, with the other balls up on the door, not sure what the feck happened there[:(!], I'm looking at repainting the whole thing and from my pace thats another years work[:(].

My heart is broken[:(][:(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

I dont know whats next[:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Park your car next to my hatch at Billing next July Mark. The laughter of the public looking at my paintwork will be so great that no-one will notice the slight imperfections you're bothering about, honestly.

As Jim says, take a step back and have a break. A fresh look at it in a few days will, I'm sure, make things seem better.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

That sucks Mark had hoped the 2 shades would of been close [:(!]

Not sure what the best plan would be after all the work you have put in, maybe take a finsihed part and bring it to a paint shop and get them to match it up for you would be the best, that way you only have a few bits to spray rather then flat the whole car again.

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

I feel gutted for you. Have you thought of cutting your losses and getting it to a professional paint sprayer. You have done all the work for it and a pro would do it quickly... or is that giving in?[?]

3-coupes.jpg

I had one once.. and now I have another! OMOC6044

Its not the giving in that would be the problem, it would be paying the fecker lol.

I have calmed down a wee bit not. The finish on the paint (in my opinion) was more than acceptable. The door i reckon has to be put down to a freak incident. Meaning that there really wasnt anything wrong with my work. I'm reckoning on repainting from the bottom of the pillars down. You wont really notice any difference between the pillars and the lower panels, that and its done in the first paint which looked right anyway.

I wont be repainting the bumpers, spoiler or the side skirts, if they're off then they're off. I'm also gonna fit the doors and boot and spray them on the car.

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Well, I've given the paint a rest for a while (cant get me paint till next week[:(])and turned my attentions to the engine, just been dressing it up a bit. Not sure whether to split it and see whats inside, I know it has been rebuilt before so should be in good mechanical order but I reckon there could be an oil leak fron the oil pump gasket (if there is one fitted). I've put on a new sump gasket and rocker gasket, my new rocker cover has been fitted and i reckon it looks the dogs, anyway, heres a few pics;

100_1494.jpg

100_1498.jpg

100_1495.jpg

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

cheers paul[;)]

Forgot to add, The paint ont he mounts and pipe isnt really pink, its red, just looks like that in the pics.

Also, I'm afraid I couldnt remember which side round the mounts go, they may not be right[:I].

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

They're right Mark. You wouldn't have been able to fit them if you'd had them on the wrong sides as Paul says. I like the cam cover by the way. What's it off?

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

quote:You wouldn't have been able to fit them if you'd had them on the wrong sides
id="quote">id="quote">

Are you sure? I tried them and they looked like they'd go on either side. Even tried them back to back and the holes lined up. The cam cover is a Clive special[:D]. He had made it for another member a few years back I think, I aquired it on the billing trip. The one that came off it was very similar (the engine orig being a Clive special Itself[;)]) only it didnt have the blitz logo and was black. I reckoned the red would look well seing as its going into a red car.

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

the engine looks good, im sure you will overcome the paint problems. It will be worth it in the end. Every project has times when you want to stick a match to it or kick in every panel when things dont work![:(!]

just out of interest wht did you prepare and paint the engine block with? The xe i have for mine is pretty rough and it definately needs painted[:)]

I hit the block with a wire brush in a drill to get rid of existing paint and rust then did it with engine enamel. The sump and inlet manifold have been done with heat resistant aluminium paint and the mounts and pipes have been done in coach enamel.

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

quote:Originally posted by gunman

id="quote">id="quote">

Are you sure? I tried them and they looked like they'd go on either side. Even tried them back to back and the holes lined up. The cam cover is a Clive special[:D]. He had made it for another member a few years back I think, I aquired it on the billing trip. The one that came off it was very similar (the engine orig being a Clive special Itself[;)]) only it didnt have the blitz logo and was black. I reckoned the red would look well seing as its going into a red car.

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

id="quote">id="quote">

...another ex member.... [;)]

Hang in there Mark, I'm sure it will come good.

Bob.

-=< You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house... >=-

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

I wondered how long before you'd be along.

The car is now flatted again (all of it), ended up 3 diff shades, got the paint matched to the bumpers etc so wont have to go them again, getting paint on Tues, may be off work on Weds[:D][8D].

Engine may be going in today[8D].

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Well the engione and gearbox are in now[8D], had a wee glitch when I couldnt get the gear lever thought the hole in the floor, then remembered this was out of an early 4 speed B, the selector was 2 inches too long[:D][:D].

Engine looks well in there, pity it'll get spoiled when i put the rest of the stuff in the engine bay. Car is getting painted again on Wednesday all being well. heres a couple of pics:

DSC00145-1.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00150-1.jpg

Did a bit of sweating getting it in and lined up, minimal damage to the paint[:I].

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817