Gunman's Project - I've started this Yoke!

gunman

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A red and black engine in a red car REALLY WORKS.

Hiding in the corner of the workshop is my Carmine Red (well faded pink!) GTE Coupe,i cleaned up the engine bay in that and did a black and red theme and i thought it looked the dogs gonads.

frontview-1.jpg

It looks a little scruffy in this shot as by the time i'd taken this it had been well used!

Looking forward to seeing this car in the flesh,at Billing next year?

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

Isn't that the worse moment when fitting an engine to a nice shiny engine bay, thinking "what if the chain snaps.....is the crane up to the job". Looks great though, seems a shame to get the engine and box dirty!

OMOC #5826..... 1974 Renault 17 Gordini, 1979 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 1981 SRB coupe - now 2.2 but looking for an SEH, 1983 Renault 5 Gordini turbo, 1985 Renault 4 Gordini Turbo, 1993 Senator 24v, 1994 Senator 24v

• 3 weeks later...

Well me and the paint are just about done, as in it painted, flatted and buffed[:D][:D].

Looks right and well but I'm not gonna lie and say its mint lol, I had a problem with scratches, as it was painted in a garage I got dirt in the paint, when i sanded it back the bits of grit caused scratches. My limited experience tells me if I try to get them out I'll end up going through the paint again, its well buffed as is.

The colour match is good to the original stuff I got but I wouldnt be sure it was 100% right[:D], doesnt need to be as long as its all the same. The entire shell, bootlid and doors had to be repainted[:(]. This car has now had near 12l of paint on it[:0], thats underneath, engine bay, back of guards etc.

Heres a few pics of the finished job, no laughing[:(!]!

sprayed009.jpg

sprayed008.jpg

sprayed014.jpg

sprayed020.jpg

sprayed016.jpg

sprayed013.jpg

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

e-mail : mark_gunning@yahoo.co.uk

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Cheers guys, many hours have been spent[:(]. It does actually look right and well in the pics[8D], it isnt immaculate but I'm not after prizes at billing or anything so it doesnt really matter. Still have the bonnet left to do but it'll be done last as it'll be the last thing to go on the car.

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted here but to be fair its a while since I've done much[:D].

The wiring for the engine has now been done along with most of the wiring for everything else, I just need to wire up the inner lamps.

I've tried to keep the engine bay as clear as possible so I've put the looom and water pipes down under theinlet manifold and put the wires for lights, horn and indicators up the chassis legs.

The fuel lines are now on the car in 5/16 copper fuel line and stainless braided hoses. (BTW if anyone would like to confirm which is feed and return on the seh injection manifold it'd be appreciated)

Here's a couple of pics of the engine bay:

100_1568.jpg

100_1567.jpg

I tried to fit the exhaust but theres a slight problem, can anyone see whats wrong with this picture?

100_1579.jpg

Lets hope I can get the exhaust sorted soon as its the last piece of the jigsaw to getting this yoke running.

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

The engine bay looks really tidy with all of the wiring tucked away, great work and def worth the effort!

How great is it to see the underneath looking so virginal lol, and I see your problem oops!

Oh that MR2 in the background looks clean too![:)]

Mike OMOC #6109

This ere is Opel Country, where on a quiet day you can actually here the Fords rusting

mikeyrulesATjustopelvauxhall.com

DSCN0976.jpg

quote:eh? whats it doin pointin that way daft question probably but its not on up side down is it. is that exhaust for a cih?
id="quote">id="quote">

I havent decided yet [:D][:D]

I have a suspicion its designed for the CIH and I have spoken to the supplier about it, I also thought it may be upside down but when you rotate it it fouls on the torque tube cross brace and also on the floor[V].

The mr2 isnt bad at all and is great fun to drive, I brought it back when we were over at the NEC in Novemeber, it was fun to go and stand on the OMOC stand wearing an MR2 Drivers Club shirt and see who said anything first[:D].

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

I've tried this exhaust many ways and unless I'm just missing the obvious it doesnt fit[V]. I turned it around and it fouls all over the place. Not sure what I'm gonna do here[:(].

I did manage to solve the problem of the manifold tho. Rather than bash the floor up I cut one of the corners off where the 4 pipes meet and welded a flat piece in, it now gives 8-10mm clearance off the floor (not as much as I'd like but it'll do)

100_1588.jpg

100_1591.jpg

I'm still gonna make up a heat shield. I'm held up on getting it running because of the exhaust so I might get the rear brakes on tomorrow so when it'll move out of the garage under its own power I'll at least have a handbrake[;)].

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

I think I may have figured out what the problem is with this exhaust.

take a look at these pics from the jetex website (Note, this is not the exhaust I have but its the same manufacturer)

GTE Exhaust:

84-k50large.jpg

1800 exhaust:

84-k20large.jpg

Notice anything? Look at the downpipes, the GTE is more or less straight, the 1800 is like an S bend on the end and I'd near bet my bottom dollar that they are both the same exhuast bar the downpipes and the 1800 one S bends over to meet the first section (on the GTE side)

problem is I've got an ashley manifold and just spent the day shaping and cutting/welding it so it would fit, that and I just spent £150 on it last week[V].

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Car looks mint Mark,fair play mate.Re those Ashley manifolds,i've heard nothing but complaints about them tbh,i also have a full Jetex system (not the manifold,as thet don't do one) to go on my hatch,and i already have a 4 branch to put on.Don't know who's it is (got it for £20) Was looking at Ashley,but with all the reports i've had/read/been told about,i've decided to see how i get on with my second had one.

BTW,just a thought,if you haven't put your servo/brake master cylinder assembly on yet,Clive (OPEL 2000)does a stainless steel plate which goes on first and covers that cacky area,i've had one from him,looks really smart.Good luck with the rest of the build.

Paul Ansell omoc 5963 (Erdington Birmingham) 10 year manta project - NEARLY DONE!!

I've said this before but I'm saying it again - what sort of rubber engine mounts are you using Mark?

I think looking back at your pics they are the standard Manta ones.

These make the engine sit too high in the body for the Ashley manifold to clear the floorpan. Use a Ford type (Pearl Parts do the same thing if you can't get 3.0ltr Cap.ri ones) and everything will sit nicely.

Here's an in build shot of my last valver conversion to show the type of mounts I'm talking about

IMG_2403.jpg

Carl[:D]

Located in Sunny Wigan Lancashire

1984 GTE Coupe 2.0XE16v - B623RWW - currently being reshelled...

1996 BMW 328i Touring Alpina Cosmetics Hartge Power - Parts Chaser/Manta Tower/Daily Driver

OMOC Member#5937

E-Mail Me - mrcarlos@mantagte.co.uk

Into MySpace? Check me out......

http://www.myspace.com/mrcarlos01

b623rwwnewshell1.jpgb623rwwnewshell2.jpgn516arx1.jpgn516arx2.jpg

shirter mounts may fix the clearance problem off the floor but take a look again at the pic of the exhaust clearance. Look how close the bottom of the manifold is to the crossmember to chassis brace.

lowering the engine any amount would make it hit. Theres no real clearance in any direction, youve about 8-10mm in all directions, I had to heat the manifold and flatten it a bit to get it to clear the gearbox, I had to take the top corver off and weld a flat bit in plus I had to take the bottom corner off to clear the chassis brace.

they just dont fit well.

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

I'd agree with that, the fit is poor on the Ashley manifolds. Thinking about it, I had to remove a bit from the block and bellhousing, bash the floor (not very much though) and bash the manifold a bit (where you've removed a bit from yours and welded the plate in - I'd forgotten I'd done that, again it wasn't a lot) and then it was okay. I can't look to see at present but I doubt I've as much as 8mm clearance anywhere though. Let's hope Angie likes warm feet....

I'm still on standard engine mounts too, but I do think the Frod ones would probably have made it easier to fit if I'd known about them at the time.

Notwithstanding your exhaust problems, it does look really nice though Mark.

Cheers,

Joe.

OMOC 3348.

Keeper of the OMOC B Series Register.

Please log into this site from the Home page. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

This very interesting as ive got an ashley and was also wondering if theres a off the shelf exhaust system that would couple up to it with relative ease, Which side does the exhaust downpipe go on a 1.8? From what i can make out a 2.0gte system will go over to the wrong side to meet up with the manifold. Ill have all these problems to contend with[V]

By the way the paint looks outstanding as does the whole car and the engine bay, wish i could paint like that[:)]

The exhaust on the 1800 comes down the passengers side (opposite to GTE), In answe to your questin an ashley 1800 exhaust will meet up just about perfect[:D].

Jetex dont seem to do a 4 branch, the downpipe is designed to fit the std 1800 manifold.

BTW, anyone can paint like this[:D], it takes ages, sanding and buffing, theres still imperfections but if you're willing to spend the time you can get not bad results.

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

I was thnking along those lines, originally i wa going to fabricate my own 2.5 inch sytem as my ashley manifold finishes in a 2.5 end, i think it may be a bit large for a non turbo xe and could lack back pressure so an off the shelf 1800 system would probaby be cheaper, adequate and save some fabrication! Probably still have hassle with the manifold though[V]

Im no painter but ive just taken delivery of 10 litres of glacier white solid so it shouldnt be too hard to achieve a reasonable finish with, white probebly the easiest to get away with little imperfetions.

From the pictures the finish on yours looks outstanding[:D]

well, I've got the exhaust sorted out, all it took was a 60 degree bend and some creative welding[:D]. Its quite close to the gearbox and I'm gonna have to take the exhaust off to change the gearbox oil but hey, its on and it works[:D].

Modified Manifold:

100_1604.jpg

All connected up on the car:

100_1600.jpg

Manifold sprayed black ready to fit:

100_1606.jpg

I got the rear brakes sorted last night and got the handbrake back on so this yoke has a method of stopping now all I need is method of moving[:D][:D][:D].

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817