CIH valve stem oil seal replacment

Jonnh

Hi I’m new here and asking advice on changing the valve stem oil seals with the head in situ . The cars smoking a fair bit when ideling so I’m guessing it could be this but I’ll do this first anyways. The engine is a modified CIH and  I believe is a 2.1 . I was going to try the air line method with the spark  plug adaptor has anyone here done this and any advice would be much appreciated . I’ve seen it done on other cars, a garage I used to work back in the day did the Peugeots this way .I understand once under pressure a tap with a socket will release the collets but then compressing the spring is the grey area . I’ve not looked yet with the rocker cover off as the cars in storage so asking before hand .  Also anyone suggest a supplier for the oil seals please . Thanks in advance Jon 

• Like 1

never tried the air line method yet .ive used rope inside the cylinder but the air line sounds better as it wont disturb any carbon deposits.gm have a proper tool also which fits in the sparkplug hole and hooks up under the valve head.

as regards the removal of the collets the easiest way ive found is to make up a simple 2 hole bar that goes over the rocker stud and the valve cap. i beleive the gm tool is similar. possibly find a pic by googling.

the valve stem seals do fail with age as they harden.

exhaust ones tend to produce a burst of blue smoke on startup or after a long idle and the inlet ones will clog up the plugs.

early engines only had proper seals on the inlets and a simple o ring on the stem on exhaust valves.later ones had seals on both.suprisingly thou the simple o ring on the early ones rarely gave trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To remove the spring etc. I use something lookalike like this:

werkzeug-ventildemontage-opel-cih~3.jpg

you can order it at Edelschmiede or make it yourself:

Compressor1.jpg

Compressor2.jpg

I order the valve stem seals of Victor Reinz, heads with only 4 (inlet) seals partnr JZ1027. Heads with 8 stemseals JZ1033. Check those partnr's at your supplier cause I live in Belgium! You can also order those stemseals at Edelschmiede. 

I use always a plastic sheet to protect the new seal so the sharp edges don't hurt it:

wnpyt.jpg.f7b9033b0e3675aea12e6f9427323f

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

Compressor1.jpg

Compressor2.jpg

I order the valve stem seals of Victor Reinz, heads with only 4 (inlet) seals partnr JZ1027. Heads with 8 stemseals JZ1033. Check those partnr's at your supplier cause I live in Belgium! You can also order those stemseals at Edelschmiede. 

I use always a plastic sheet to protect the new seal so the sharp edges don't hurt it:

I used one from Edelschmiede for mine, worked great 🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, H-400 said:

Compressor1.jpg

Compressor2.jpg

Thank you this has been a great help with those measurements I can make one at work Jon 

i must admit ive never thought of trying a dealer !

always just got  a headgasket set when they pop up on ebay and they are usually included in that.

one thing i do know thou. a few years back i stripped a royale 2.8 head 1982. the head had valve seals on both inlet and exhaust .the seals were identical in fitment but the inlets were black material as you expect and totally rock hard /failed. but the exhaust ones were a brown colour and still perfectly supple and useable. ie the exhaust ones were a higher heat rating i assume ?

always though they would be best using the brown ones throughout.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, berni said:

You Can still order through any vauxhall dealership 8 seals approx £20ish overnight !! oh another overdue jobby🙄

Thanks Berni I’ve ordered from Edelschmiede , they have been very helpful . After emailing some photos to them I’ve found out mine is a 2.2 .Ive ordered everything to do the valve stem oil seals including the tool and also ordered some service parts for the Getrac box 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonnh said:

Thanks Berni I’ve ordered from Edelschmiede , they have been very helpful . After emailing some photos to them I’ve found out mine is a 2.2 .Ive ordered everything to do the valve stem oil seals including the tool and also ordered some service parts for the Getrac box 

Edelschmiede are definitely one of the best places for Opel bits.

Can't argue with that but vauxhall still hold lots of obsolete parts have the number of a guy somewhere who bought all the old stock from Luton before it moved to Ellesmere there was some mega stuff firenza wings N/OS Cav bits everything. Now that Peugeot own everything you can prob second guess what the next move will be. 🇫🇷🧄

• Like 1