Horn

Chris M

My GT/E has twin horns, high and low note.  High note isn't working but low note works fine when connected to either of the two connectors down near the front crossmember ! I have bought a new one and that doesn't work when connected but does when connected directly to the battery!  I believe that the Manta didn't have a horn relay from the factory so I have obtained this wiring diagram off the Internet and was going to wire it in but just thought I would check on here first.  Should I attempt to use the relay or can anyone suggest anything else.  Thanks 

20231014_203445.jpg

20230927_194535.jpg

20230927_194836.jpg

Hi Chris M,

exactly the same issue on my Manta B, duel horn set up but if both horns are wired up and you push the horn button on steering wheel the horns seem to Labour and stick but if you only wire one of them in, doesn’t matter if high or low,  either will work individually.

Had about ths same issue, two horns and when pushing the horn buttom a click... When disconnecting one of the two the other one works normal, as Mike doesn't matter wich one. But it is only after a long time of not using the car, so before using the car I connect it on a batt.charger and everything works normal. Weird is that when the horns do not work the car starts without any problem, and with running the engine the horn still doesn't work until I charge the battery or after making a trip with the car. I Think in my case it is an earth issue, propably in the steering collumn.

Edited by H-400

I had a similar problem with a twin horn set up on my A, they would only really work if the engine was running. I think one of them was maybe getting corroded so needed a higher current to work. Unfortunately when the car went in for some work the person who did it removed one of the horns and disposed of it so I no longer have my rare option. I was told if I remember correctly some time before that soaking the horn in diesel may have helped to free it up.

• 6 months later...

Using the relay might be a good idea, especially if the Manta didn't have a horn relay from the factory. It can help ensure that the horn gets the right amount of power and can also protect the wiring from overload.

certainly can .

issue is that the horn is switched on the negative side from a sliding contact ( copper / brass ring) that can get dirty and also it gets this said negative from the actual central shaft which theoretically has no actual direct contact with negative .it relies on a path through the top bearing which obviously is full of grease !

On 18/04/2024 at 19:54, Kiddoco said:

Using the relay might be a good idea, especially if the Manta didn't have a horn relay from the factory. It can help ensure that the horn gets the right amount of power and can also protect the wiring from overload.

Before wiring in the relay, double-check the wiring diagram to make sure everything is connected correctly. It might also be a good idea to check the horn button/switch and the wiring leading to it to see if there are any issues there.

If you're looking for a new horn, I recently found some interesting options online at https://bosshorn.com . They have a variety of horns that could be a fun upgrade for your GT/E.

Edited by Kiddoco