Manta A Muscle car

opel2000

Almost there.....

Connected the battery last night and most of the electrics work (and no fires)[:D].

So then i tried turning it over (with ecu disconnected) and it worked.

Then I connected ecu and checked spark and that worked.

Just gotta get some fuel tonight and with a bit of luck it will run.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It runs [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

The engine was a bit rattly at first, but once i had run it for a while the oil got into the lifters and it went nice and quiet - Well as quite as a straight through 2.5" exhaust will allow.

I have finally got my enthusiasm back now and am cracking on with the jobs to get it finished in the next couple of weeks.

No pics of front yet as I haven't built the grill yet.

Not sure if it will be at billing as its the same weekend as our car show. I might try and pop down for a few hours on the saturday if i get chance (while the people at our show are on a cruise).

aaaarrrrrggghhh!!!!

Finslly connected the clutch cable and ran the box for the first time and its not good news ( see http://www.mantaclub.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7155 ).

Also the engine appears to be smoking a fair bit. It might just be because it hasn't been run for ages, or it could need new rings or valve seals.

It seems that when I get close to getting the car drivable, something elese pops up to stop me.

Losing my enthusiasm rapidly. Might just garage it and concentrate on my other car....or even sell it....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Been having loads of grief getting air locks out of the brake system. finally seem to have a good pedal and drove it down the road for a test. the car stopped well....really well....it cut and won't run now!!

Got the car home and checked spark (was ok) so checked fuel pump (not running) so bought another one. Now i have fuel, air, spark and compression and it still won't run. Looks like it could be the fuel injection relay so i've ordered another.

I'm starting to lose interest now. If the relay doesn't cure it i might put it on ebay next week as I can't afford to spend any more time and money on it as my race car is waiting to be done.

• 2 weeks later...

took it for an mot on friday. i was so nervous i felt like an expectant father. car flew through and only needed headlamps adjusting[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]. spent all weekend driving around to see if there are any bugs to iron out. i need to get the tracking done as the steering doesn't feel very good to me. got it booked in for wednesday morning.

happy as a pig in s**t

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

• 1 month later...

Been driving the car for the past few weeks and goes quite well. I've just sorted a few squeeks and fitted a new fuel tank sender so I know when i'm gonna run out. I've also trimmed the arches to allow me to lower it and still have some steering. I'm also toying with chopping the spoiler in half and extending an inch or so to get it lower to the floow. Heres a pic of what I mean - tell me what ya think

MantaAlow.jpg

• 7 months later...

just got the old a series out of storage and took it for a spin. Wow - feels nice to drive a car with a bit of go in it. Got a few jobs to do still :-

lower rear end

remove bumper bolts & paint bumpers

fix speedo, tacho and dash lights

change front discs

make a new gear shifter

paint car (still waiting as someone jumped the queue and its taking bleeding forever)[:(!]

I wonder if a pillar-less modification would be viable ? it really would be muscle-slag then [:D]

OMOC 5885

1800 Hatch Daily Driver

GTE Exclusive Coupe SORN'd