Broadspeed rep

MantaMad

Pete I have forgot all about the V8 pages lol, just had a look and see I would need to add some more bits onto it [:I]

Those small bits take ages to degrease , then sandblast, then primer, then give a couple of coats of gloss. and a lot of paint get lost [:o)]but worth doing in the end, just slows down the project at times esp when you go to do something and relise you forgot to do one small bit grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Mal your right on the gearbox mount I used the A series one then cut up the B series one and used part of it to make the new bracket. One thing for sure it wont break [:D]

Putting a timing belt cover back on the engine as I,m heart afraid of a stone getting caught up in there, Mick donated a cover when were over getting the engines (thanks Mick) Jock done the holes in the cover for me as he had a template and a good m8 [:)](cheers. You can see it in the pic as, well almost it facing the wrong way. It,s sprayed black the same as the car, so the chromed pullys should look well in behind it [:D]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id="size3">Hi Robbie, Re front timimg belt cover................Am thinking there's still a chance, ok small chance, of a stone getting in through those cam pully holes? How about a pair of circular clear or tinted purspex windows with chrome surrounds?

Mal.....OMOC #6022 H9OP6tnFJvCgw3kz3xgONVPRv4v9t6WR0060.jpg Start your Manta restoration today........ before it's too late!

It will be open Mick unless Vx get their butts in gear and get me the proper mountings [:D]

Spent most of this weekend sorting out the wiring and still loads to do [^]

Anyone got the part numbers for an 1800 dissy cap and rotor arm, aftermarket ones are fine.

Cheers

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=

Hi Rob,dissy cap 44220(intermotor) retail is £5.33,and arm is 47150s(intermotor) retail is £3.35,my place has these in stock,so you should have no trouble getting them,if you do,let me know and we'll see about getting them to you(price from my place would be roughly half of the above)cheers

Paul Ansell omoc 5963 (Birmingham)

Forgot to get a picture of the fitted mount but will add one later, this past week has been spent doing a lot of the wiring to the car, and fitting some parts like the expansion tank and water bottle plus fitting the front and rear screens to the car, not A job that I overly like but they are done and out of the road now.

One of the jobs I tackled was the exhaust manifold, I used the 16V rear wheel drive conversion manifold from a B series but this has to be modified to fit the A, The problem being that the A series anti roll bar fits to the rear as opposed to the B series where it is in front of the X members. Heres a few pics of the modified manifold to fit around the ARB.

16v%20exhaust%201.JPG

16v%20exhaust%202.JPG

A few more small bits and pieces have been sanded down and primed ready for top coat along with a pair of MINT gm wings I picked up a few weeks ago

manta%20wing.JPG

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=

Hi Robbie, It's 2.30am, down for a cuppa, could not resist a quick log on, to see if there was an update on your project.

Nice mod to the exhaust manifold over the ARB. I will need to mod the one I have latter, not sure on the best way to finish it that lasts. Will you apply heat resist paint yourself, or send it off for one of those special coatings?

A lucky find, those GM wings, now all primed up, just waiting for the 2k black. id="size3">

Mal.....OMOC #6022 H9OP6tnFJvCgw3kz3xgONVPRv4v9t6WR0060.jpg Start your Manta restoration today........ before it's too late!

The manifold was as new Mal so it got a very light sand and a bit of jenolite, It got loads of coats of heat resistant black but I doubt if it will last. You can get the manifolds ceramic coated inside and out which will last a lifetime but it isnt cheap,Dont think anyone makes a stainless 4 branch for the RWD 16V.

I,ll just leave the wings primered for now dont know what colour they will end up [^] Just need to find myself a couple of rear quarter panels

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=

Hi Rob,my place has recently started selling "WALKER" exshauts,if you let me know the size of metal you need,i'll give them a ring for you,i know they DO sell lengths of tube,some of my customers have had some,let me know,cheers

I have used walker systems on a few of my everyday cars and I must admit they are pretty good, I,m looking 2 1/4 inch stainless pipe if they do it. cheers

oooooooo heres a pic of the gearbox mount fitted and the modified manifold under the car, took tonight off it toooooooooo cold [:(] Started a list on the car this past few days on what jobs has to be done and its way to long dont know when i,m going to get this car out grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [:(!]

gearbox%20mount%20640.JPG

to much dust getting under that car needs to be out on the road to get rid [:D]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=

Hi Rob,spoke to walker and bosal today-no joy i'm affraid.Rang round quite a few customers/contacts(i don't like being beaten)and had only 1 yes.First thing,can't get 2 1/4 dia.Nearest i can get is 2" at£104.65 + vat for a 2 mtr length,next is 2 3/8 at £78.88 + vat for a 2mtr length and secondly a friend of mine has mentioned a company he knows of in London called London Stainless Steel and/or sss Exhausts but i don't have any other details i'm affraid.One person you could try is Clive (opel2000),i know he has a lot to do with steel suppliers,cheers for now

The 2 1/4 is the aquard one 2.5 and 2 inch is no problem as dairy 304 stainless is handy to get a runs around £75 a length for the 2.5 inch, those guys must be hammering the prices [:(] I emailed that contact that mick poped up their prices are not to bad but have not had a response as yet.

If I cant get the pipe its not the end of the world will just have to pop to the local power flow center and get them to make the piece over the rear axle and the front bit. [:)]

Thanks for ringing around really appreciate it [^]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=

No time for sitting beside the fire these nights January almost over and I got way to much still to do on this car, starting to panic now. ordered more parts this week some found on good old ebay hmmm, and a few other bits from motorsport stockists. I tackled the front brake conversion next using the brake discs we make up and calipers of a vectra which I refurbished. One the A series the back plate needs a bit cut out top and bottom to let the caliper sit in correctly. I need to get the stainless hoses measured up and ordered now.

16v%20brakes%202%20640.JPG

Loads of copper grease on the hub face to stop the rims sticking

rims%20with%2016v%20brakes%20640.JPG

time for a drink or 3 now i think [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=

Hi Robbie, No slow up on the Manta work, even in cold January. You do seem keen to finish the project asap......in time for Billing 2007? Would be great if you could make it over the pond with the Manta.

Great work on those brakes, would be interested to know what disc you have used and have you used a spacer?

Nice choice of wheels too, finish goes well with the black and trim on the car's body.

The Opel badge under the ray is different, not seen that done before.

Finally.... Looking at that reflection of you in the wing, all these long hours on this project, seem to have had a strange face changing effect on you!!![:D]

I use these discs Mal, I used to sell them but Gunman on forum sells them now, I just make up the ones for me own car now [:)]

http://www.mantamagic.com/16v%20brake_conversion.htm

The pictures are of my white V8 when I put them on her,

[:D] my head does look a tad weired in the picture lol could be due to the missus hitting me with the frying pan if I stay out to late [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=

Grrrrrrrrrrr was in the local motor factors today so added some diff oil to me order, come home and undone the lower bolt in the diff housing and the filler bung. .............. drip drip drip.................. after about 20 mins had an egg cup full [:(][:(]

Checked hole it was clear, poped some spare oil I had into the filler bung and it run out the bottom................ OOOOOOOOOOOps some silly ttt****************tttttt previously never changed/checked oil, a bloody egg cup full in the diff [V][V][V] quite a bit short of 1.1l

Put new oil in and kinda hope the bearing aint shot when i test the car out. think its time to get in new bearing just incase.......... If i have to do that a slippy diff is going in [:)]

oooooooooo got a clutch cable for the 1800 B series Box but it hasnt got a nut with it, seems to be about a 7mm fine thread has any one got one, or know the exact size ?

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=