Accrington Mantas

My friend Mr Arthur had to take a trip to Accrington Stanley,as he left the M65 junction 5 he started looking for old/interesting Vauxhall/Opels,he counted TWENTY SEVEN Opel Mantas in and around the town,mostly GTE's but including a B Hatch!lots of MK 2 Cavliers and the like all outnumbered by Ford Crapi's.

The area appears run down and most of the cars were only in fair condition,many not appearing to have tax discs.

If there are any members near to the area it might be worth taking a detour round Accrington and giving a more detailed report,sounds like there could be a few Mantas not far off heading to the scrap yard.

South Midz Manta Bitz

Selling all sorts of parts for your Manta,we dont know exactly what we have got,but there's so much we probably have what you want!surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

A MANTAMAN/ 'DEL BOY' Enterprize

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds and North Bucks,and now with added Hertfordshire!

The village I live in overlooks Accy (as we call it) & I can't recall seeing many around. I will go out of my way a teenie bit & have a browse round, but don't hold your breath.

He did make this trip recently did he[:0]? Not some time in 1998. [:D]

That's not grey, I'm a natural blonde.

My friend was in Accrington on wednesday,29-03-2006,i was surprized by the number but i dont doubt him as he is always on the lookout for anything Vauxhall/Opel from before 1990 and he can spot them,he can tell the differance between GTE/SRI/CDI/GSI/SR etc by the grill as they approach the opposite way along the road,he even picks out Vauxhall/Opel shape car covers!

In going to factory unit he did get lost round the back streets and towing a trailer couldn't just turn round but had to keep taking other roads till he got back to where he was,so perhaps he went down steets that in the normal course of events you would not normally visit.

South Midz Manta Bitz

Selling all sorts of parts for your Manta,we dont know exactly what we have got,but there's so much we probably have what you want!surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

• 4 weeks later...

My friend Mr Ian Arthur had occasion to visit Accrington again last week but didn't go around so many roads,probably didnt get as lost!so he didn't see as many Manta's as last time he visited.

But not only did he see NINETEEN Manta's he took digital photo's of all them,one by an Accrington street name sign as absolute proof,just got to get the photo's onto this thread.

Many of these Manta's are in serious peril as they are on the street without tax,if the local council do a clear up there will be lots of Manta's going in the car crusher.

South Midz Manta Bitz

OMOC Member number 2658F

• 11 months later...

Hi Mantaman did you ever see the photos your friend took? i just remembered this thread and it would still be very interesting to see photos of so many mantas in one area. If you do have the photos, is it possible for you to post them up??

ive just noticed this is just one day from being a year away since i last posted in this thread [:D]

I live right next door to accrington (accy[:D]) and ive only spotted a couple meself,but i dont often get around that way.

Have seen a purple v8,and a black gte coupe.Reminds me...ill have to dig some old pics of my dads out.

One was a hatch 400 replica that i heard got written off in ireland[:(] Think it had 10x15 wheels or sommet crazy[8D]

Neil.

OMOC #6042

Wanted: 4OO Replica coupeid="red">

p7705517.gif

Unfortunatly my mates one of these who is always going to get round to sending me the shots and i have forgotten to ask him.

He back working for the camping shop he was at last year,this entails him going to a factory in Accrington and collecting trailer tents,so when the season gets going and more stock is needed he'll hopefully be going back that way so i'll give him instructions to scout the area.

Is there no one 'oop that way who could take a qiuck detour round the estates of Accrington to see how many Mantas there are about now?

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

Ian....The way things are now, the DVLA boy's have probally blitz'd the estate with their clamps and lorries ( equiped with Hiab ) and cleared the blooming lot by now..................[V]

How's about doing a phone survey of all the scrappy's in the Accy area to see what Manta bits they've got on offer....the Barstewards.

KEEP THE SHINEY-SIDE UP

44.gif

OMOC #5916

If my mate Mr Arthur say he saw 27 Mantas in Accy[:)] then i believe him,he is a prolific car finder,always on the look out for interesting Vauxhall/Opels in front gardens etc and if its local he'll knock the door,i know because i have to then go and get them with my Bedford!

He has photos from his phone of many of them from his trip last year but he cant e-mail them to me or post them here because for some reason he cant work out it wont send the file.

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

OMOC Member number 2658F

• 1 month later...

Still cant at the photo's but its interesting to note that the 'new' Total Vauxhall Magazine Manta, the Orange B seen at the performance Vauxhall Show has number plates with a dealer from Accrington on them...

Perhaps there was/is an Opel dealer in Accrington and thats why the area has a high proportion of Manta's.

Is there no one from that part of the world who could take a half hour detour round the back streets of Accrington to see whats parked up in front gardens etc? i'd do it if it wasn't 200 miles away from home!

OMOC Member number 2658F

just got back onto the club site,

i have the photos on my digi cam(which no dought can be brought to billing)

however when loaded onto my computer it doesnt reconise the file,and when i sedn them/host them they go blank!

annoy to say the least,

as i dont now a-cc-rington,i was lost however i was trying to get to the pennine group factory(if this helps)

lie-i do not

1983 manual monza E

1989 3.0 auto GSI

1993 Pre face lift 24v manual gsi

Apart from this sounding like an excuse to head up north with a trailer and a role of folding. Wouldn’t it be an idea to be prepared next time, perhaps a card with a club contact email address and a note saying that if the guy wants to sell this then email the club with the details?

Just a thought.

Still looking for an 1980ish 2 door

Hey up yowd chuffer ! (that's how we speak up'Tnorth tha knows)

If you can give me one street name then I will go & have a trawl round that area, I can see Accy from my bedroom window.

But you need to be aware Accrington is a pretty big place with a population of approx 81500, so doing random street searches will be pretty pointless & extremely time consuming.

Give us the info & I will check it out.

minicaver.jpg

That's not grey, I'm a natural blonde. (5858)

Cheers Devilfish, however, I should add that I can also see Darwen, Blackburn, Preston, Blackpool & the sea.

As you can guess we are pretty high up on the West Pennine moors.

Stunning views but windy as hell.

minicaver.jpg

Put the car in the new garage last week & left tailgate & bonnet up, like a nob I forgot about the light in the hatch so killed the battery completely.

So....took the old b1tch out for a good tootle this afternoon & went touring the back roads of dear old Accy for about an hour & a half, all round the streets & estate near Accy Stanley, up round the hospital, near Clayton Le Moors & anywhere else that the side streets took my fancy.

You guessed it, not a sniff, saw a couple of MG's (as always) even a black capri, but no Mantas not even a mk1 Cav.

I'm afraid without a specific area to look at these 20 odd mantas are looking more like a mirage or daydream.

But, I'm willing to go back if you can get me a street name or area to look at.[:(]

minicaver.jpg