James' SRB

james

Work has began on WLD 182X. Pics are a little blurred ( too close with my cheap camera ! )

As you can see the sunroof is badly scratched from catching on blown metal on the roof skin

projectmanta007.jpg

The rear edge of sunroof aperture

projectmanta008.jpg

Glass out to remove headlining

projectmanta002.jpg

projectmanta003.jpg

Revealed some hidden horrible things under the glass seals

projectmanta001.jpg

projectmanta004.jpg

projectmanta009.jpg

projectmanta010.jpg

Work starts on prepping the replacement skin

projectmanta006.jpg

projectmanta005.jpg

billing07070a.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have the whole replacement roof I would recommend completely getting rid of the old one. The rot around the aperture of the sunroof is just the start. Eventually it will spread back following the frame of the sunroof. Mine was just starting to bubble about 3/4 way back the roof skin! If you remove the whole sunroof framework I guess this might stop this from happening but then you would need to weld in the strengthening bar from a non sunroof car as well.

I would like to say that I was undertaking this work myself but time and lack of welding skills prevents me. My mate owns a garage and employs a real ' old school ' guy taking care of bodywork side of things. Apparently, in answer to your question, the screen came out with no major probs.

billing07070a.jpg

The pics of the rusty screen surrounds is typical of the places the B series and Asconas go, my ascona was really bad all along the bottom of the back window and just starting to go around the front, luckily I removed the rear screen to sort out the small bubbles i could see, once ground out it was quite bad, so i decided a look at the front screen surround was a good idea.

I have successfully removed a sunroof cassette and welded in the non sunroof bars in the past but if like James you have a whole roof skin then this is certainly the best way to go.

Convoy to Billing again this year chaps? you can navigate or we will get Sat nav this time !!!

V8slanty.jpg

"Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels"

Damn right! I can join in this year - 3 black bumpered Bs in convoy [:D]

OMOC #5826..... 1974 Renault 17 Gordini, 1979 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 1981 SRB 2.2 coupe, 1983 Renault 5 Gordini turbo, 1984 Renault 5 Le Car 2 Turbo 1985 Renault 4 Gordini Turbo, 1993 Senator 24v for sale

This is looking like a hell of a convoy, My V8, Ascona and possibly A series if i get a rocket up my A**e, James C in what ever he brings (might need another couple of drivers for his collection if this car buying carrys on) and The lovely Black B of James S plus now Chris T and his car. Hmm, might start a thread soon in Billing section.

V8slanty.jpg

"Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels"

Looking good, but the bodyshop must be p*ssed of with you, you must be in there more than his staff!!!

Cant wait to see it finished, it is great to see your own car progressing day by day without having to do the graft yourself. Only problem is the invoice!

Forumwheel.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

All finished now complete with new windscreen inserts. Word of advice! If anyone plans to fit new inserts to their manta - buy the proper tool for this job! I didn't and it took me half a day! projectmanta010-1.jpg

projectmanta009-1.jpg

New Headlining

projectmanta018.jpg

projectmanta017.jpg

James,cracking job mate,always loved your car,your head lining looks very smart,looks almost like velvet.I remember saying to you somewhere that i paid a bit less to have mine made,tbh,yours looks a heck of a lot better than my white one!! Well done mate.

I've got the trim inserting tool here! Sorry, didn't even think of that when you were here!

Sorry to be hyper-critical but are the chrome corner pieces fitted now, can't see them in the photos?

What you need now is a set of tin snips and a nice cheapo pop-up sunroof to finish the job