Gte Project

manscoob

im just looking some help, im about to go collect a 2.0l gte coupe to do as a project, but first my wife wants rid of the calibra i have in the drive!!! wot i'd like to know is, im gonna use the engine and loom which is the c20 xe 16valve, but is it worth keeping anything else, the likes of the front and rear brakes etc, will anything else be useful for the manta????? cheers john :thumbup

Possibly the front brakes. I have some on my 1.8S which I only know as '16v brakes' as they were done by someone else and it's an area I usually don't bother modding :unsure:, however someone else told me my brakes look like calibra V6 jobbies.

Assuming your calibra is four stud like my old one was then the wheels fit.

Did you manage to get hold of the gearbox, sump and other bits you'll need for the swap?

Possibly the front brakes. I have some on my 1.8S which I only know as '16v brakes' as they were done by someone else and it's an area I usually don't bother modding :unsure:, however someone else told me my brakes look like calibra V6 jobbies.

Assuming your calibra is four stud like my old one was then the wheels fit.

Did you manage to get hold of the gearbox, sump and other bits you'll need for the swap?

Hi Rick, no i havent started lookin for parts yet, i need to get everything because the manta is a 2.0gte, i'll pull all the brakes off to have them anyway, pull the cooling fan. the wifes giving me grief, and i still need to get the manta over yet, (she has'nt seen it, that will be a surprise, the arches etc have gone).

Definatly keep the front brake calipers

As your calibra is the 16v it should have 256x24mm discs which gives you the ideal calipers to upgrade your manta (if they're bigger still keep them as the same applies but with different discs).

All you need then is a set of the right Audi 80-100 discs to get modified and fit with your calipers.

The correct discs were only fitted for a couple of years to the Audi's, you need the ones that are 256x22mm disc's and an offset of 56.5mm (standard manta was 57mm) rather than most which are around 30mm offset.

The centre bore needs opened up and 4 new mounting bolt holes drilling by your local engineering place (or one of a couple of people on here can sort that for you if required ;) )

Oh and while the wheels would bolt on they have the wrong offset for the manta.

Definatly keep the front brake calipers

As your calibra is the 16v it should have 256x24mm discs which gives you the ideal calipers to upgrade your manta (if they're bigger still keep them as the same applies but with different discs).

All you need then is a set of the right Audi 80-100 discs to get modified and fit with your calipers.

The correct discs were only fitted for a couple of years to the Audi's, you need the ones that are 256x22mm disc's and an offset of 56.5mm (standard manta was 57mm) rather than most which are around 30mm offset.

The centre bore needs opened up and 4 new mounting bolt holes drilling by your local engineering place (or one of a couple of people on here can sort that for you if required ;) )

Oh and while the wheels would bolt on they have the wrong offset for the manta.

I work for vw so i'll check for thoes sizes! :thumbup

Cut the roof off around the far egde of the sunroof, you can graft it onto the the manta in place of the rusty manta one. If the manta has a rusty sunroof?

Covers for the bottom of the seat belts. seatbelt extension on b post

oh yea, the sunroof and where the drains run in the roof are bad, so do you think the roof is a similiar shape to weld in?? :unsure:

might be an idea to sell on the f20 box as well as other bits and pieces from the car, as the conversion parts you will need (sump and engine mounts) are not cheap, try www.migweb or club calibra, as you might just have the part that someone has been looking for?

hey kev, that does look well, think i'll start pulling the calibra apart today! i think i'll just cut the complete roof off the calibra, then when the manta's here start cutting it to make it fit. i'll see if i can get a good big angle grinder. if anyone wants the fuel tank or anything, let me know? the cars going to the scrappers nxt week!!

started today !!!! the engine is out of the calibra, headlining out, ready for the complete sunroof to come out!! tomorrow im taking the loom and ecu out. gonna cut the roof tomorrow. does anyone know if you can fit the electric window motors and reg in the manta????

started today !!!! the engine is out of the calibra, headlining out, ready for the complete sunroof to come out!! tomorrow im taking the loom and ecu out. gonna cut the roof tomorrow. does anyone know if you can fit the electric window motors and reg in the manta????

Cut the seat belt material out as they make fantastic slings for putting engines in and out.

Come and have a look at my car to see how i did the roof transplant if you want to. Remove all the roof wiring and switch before you cut into it and cut just inside the roof bar connection point on the calibra roof.

manconaprogress2021-1.jpg

Also remove the rear brace as this fits the inside of the manta roof perfectly and supports the back of the sunroof.

manconaprogress2002-3.jpg

Window regs, i tried the calibra ones but they didn't work, they were too big and the window didn't wind down, i got a pair from mickappy that he got from eBay. i think they are ford motors? mk4 granada? standard manta regs with a bit added to the end to take the motor.

elecwindow2.jpg

Also you will need to cut the roof off 2 calibras to do 1 manta roof replacement as you need a top from one, cutting the bottom off it by drilling and grinding spot welds and the bottom from another by grinding the top away.

manconaprogress2016-1.jpg

manconaprogress2015-2.jpg

Cheers

Kev

hi kev, the calibra is now completely stripped, ive cut the roof and the rear support out... ive taken the 2 doors off, i wanna use the solenoids ets for central locking. ive a few ideas going round in my head. i need ideas for the rear lighs too, if you think of any. the biggest problem i have at the min is getting the manta from blackburn to home in preston!!! :(

I have an 'a' frame if you want to borrow it,also a recovery dolly too and a 2.5 turbo volvo to pull it, on condition you join the club :thumbup

Plus the £250 refundable deposit :lol:

Back lights, keep the bulbs, chuck the rest. Iv'e seen it done and it's an abomination :ph34r:

I have an 'a' frame if you want to borrow it,also a recovery dolly too and a 2.5 turbo volvo to pull it, on condition you join the club :thumbup

Plus the £250 refundable deposit :lol:

Back lights, keep the bulbs, chuck the rest. Iv'e seen it done and it's an abomination :ph34r:

hi kev, i was member of the club when i lived back home at belfast, who do i contact again about up-dating and payin the fee mate??? cheers john :thumbup