Lead Additive

SENNA1

No, the lead only acts as a lubricant/heat guard for the exhaust valves, with a later or modified head (and timing set for the lower octane if not using the 97-99 supers) then the car is completely okay to use unleaded indefinately. If you wanted to add one of those little lead additive things you can put in the fuel line like a fuel filter, then there'd be no need to use the additive in the tank.

Not seen those - what are they?, do they work well? and where do I get one?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

No they don’t work and one company, whose name I cannot remember, got into a lot of trouble because of their claims.

There has been a lot of testing done on these in line pellets and although they do release small quantities there is not enough to give any benefit.

Stick to the approved additives or get an unleaded conversion.

^ I'd go with the latter, I've heard people taking the heads off to find the valve seats knackered even with top brand additives. I assume they can help prolong the inevitable, so for show only type cars you're not going to notice any problems for years as the cars just don't do the mileage. When I pick up my GTE ('84 pre unleaded head) in a months time I'm just going to use unleaded until such time I can send the head off to a trustworthy company and get it professionally refurbed with new exhaust valve seats.

Deano, 2.0 models prior to 20E-0354999 need some sort of additive. From engine no. 20E-0355000 these have hardened valve seats.

Think there is a stamping on the head as well....but not going outside to look.

Your head will be a 20S type ?

John.

Sure is John.

Cheers for that.

Ta,

Deano.

Deano, 2.0 models prior to 20E-0354999 need some sort of additive. From engine no. 20E-0355000 these have hardened valve seats.

Think there is a stamping on the head as well....but not going outside to look.

Your head will be a 20S type ?

John.

What about my engine no: 20S*0517352 .Does it needs an additive?

Thanks in advance.

20s engines as found in mk2 carltons have correct head from march 85 onwards,as do manta gte,s same time. heads on engines that are ok for full unleaded will be stamped on the side next to the cam access plate P2 carburrettor engines (carlton) or P2E INJECTION ENGINES.

20S ENGINE NUMBER 0844000 ONWARDS

20E 0355000

22E 0021000

• 2 weeks later...

Or you could treat the head as a consumable, retard timing and run without additives, then change the head and or engine later. The money saved on additive if put in a tub would probably buy you the replacement head when needed.

What's the approximate price for a used overhaul 20S engine?