Front Windsreen Rubber / Seal

guysat

Hi everyone

I have been looking for a front windscreen rubber for nearly 12-months now and have failed to find one :(

To the extent that Im now considering an after-market one from Germany, (not cheap)

Has anyone else already tried one of these after-market seals, they say to use a sealant between screen and rubber...!

Just need a bit of confidence before I order one, so if anyone has experience of one of these please let me know :thumbup

Guy

Edited by guysat

Hi Guy, is it a brand new one you're after or will a good second hand one do? I'm pretty sure I've got a second hand one, it'll be in storage somewhere at the moment but we're clearing that slowly so if it's any good to you I can probably dig you out a decent one soon? Let me know!

Hi Guy, is it a brand new one you're after or will a good second hand one do? I'm pretty sure I've got a second hand one, it'll be in storage somewhere at the moment but we're clearing that slowly so if it's any good to you I can probably dig you out a decent one soon? Let me know!

Hi

A good second hand would be great, bought one about 6 months ago and have just placed onto windscreen and it hand perished in the lower corners :(

If you have a desent one I would be very very interested :thumbup

Guy

www.manta24.eu

Edited by guysat

Just a wee note about sealant between rubber seal and windscreen. I tried removing a windscreen from a exclusive (some time ago), and the screen split because of the sealent. I tried thinners and even a old hairdryer to weaken the sealent, it still split :(

I didn't fit the windscreen so I can't say for sure, if the correct sealet was used etc (it was black) however; there's plenty of morons out there who use tiger-seal when they shouldn't. I would look into it more, because you might want to remove the windscreen in 4 or 5 years time for someother reason.

GL

Keith

Edited by keith1200

german e-bay had one on yesterday cant remember price though,

i went to local motor factors for the rubber sealant and was told to use sycaflex. i just walked out after telling him it was not a modern bonded in type.

Edited by rutts

Autopaint do ( well did last time i got it) a flexible windscreen sealant that you pipe in under the seals using a standard cartridge gun.

Worked a treat on my wifes exclusive and i now have the seal and screen in the loft years later having cut her car up for spares so it's a non destructive product

http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acatalog/opel-heated-windscreens.html

i was thinking about one of these for some time now , but never went through with it .£185 plus vat not fitted . might be worth asking if it comes with the rubber?

I got one, it won't come with the rubber

Back in the day windscreens were worth more than the rubber, people used a stanley knife to cut the rubber and lift the glass out.

Now there are loads of glass but rubber is scarce :rolleyes:

german e-bay had one on yesterday cant remember price though,

i went to local motor factors for the rubber sealant and was told to use sycaflex. i just walked out after telling him it was not a modern bonded in type.

Hi

German ebay

This is the one I was thinking of trying, but hoped someone may have tryed already ?

Would much prefer a good original thou'

Guy

Hi.

I have a perfect used front screen sealing rubber, but you have to wait and see if spiney norman has found one, as I don't want to poke my nose in when he has promised to look for one for you!! so if you fail there send me a PM to let me know if you are interested :thumbup

Julian.

Hi.

I have a perfect used front screen sealing rubber, but you have to wait and see if spiney norman has found one, as I don't want to poke my nose in when he has promised to look for one for you!! so if you fail there send me a PM to let me know if you are interested :thumbup

Julian.

Julian Pm sent :thumbup