North West Manta!

adz the stig

My welding is shit! Only good enough for quads but my cousin is a welder by trade so he said he'll sort me out!

Just a waiting game until I buy it back now. Not sleeping at all with the worry about them crushing it! It's crazy a car can mean so much!!!!

Two police officers? you took up the entire north west highland force?

Hard to tell from the pic how the structure is. Get the wing off and see what like the door pillar is. Glass is all intact so upper part of shell cannae be that bad. Did you see how the chassis rails are in case the jacking point took a hit?

Its not so much cutting out and welding in thats the problem, its doing it in just the right place! A jig made off a solid shell would be handy.

Do you still have the car or did the polis recover it?

Edited by Shug

I think it looks repairable to me, if the shell is a good one then it would be easier to repair this shell rather than doing rust work on another one .If it was mine then I would find a wing and door and hang them on first and see how they fit you might be surprised, the a post looks damaged as does the sill but you could fit a second hand a post if the hinges are in the right place then you only have to fit the skin and sills are available there were some second hand quarters on here for sale to sort out the back that's if it were mine looking at the pic's.

It's not easy from the photos to state how hard or easy a repair will be. What I can say is where there's a will there's a way.

Main thing is to confirm the integrity of the car is not compromised in the repair so it's not what we see in the photo it's what's underneath that matters!

Good luck with it adz, i am sure many members will rally to your aide when needed.

Edited by upk

Just thinking that because the door is bent that's why the dash is getting pushed! The door and sill took the most of it.
Your car looks extremely strong and thankfully it's hit hard low down on the pillar. I don't like the look of the back axle on the drivers side if I am honest, something has moved or its a bad picture? Rear chassis needs investigating. My advice is take of all the damaged bits that unbolt, don't touch the quarter at all right now, if the shell pulls straight, you might be surprised how this comes out. The shell is going to be bent but, you will be amazed how you can straighted strong bent metal as long as its not crumpled rot. Side damage is much easier to sort than a front or rear shunt. DON'T give up on the shell. Guessing you have come broadside/sideways and glanced off the sign and spun?

Yeah I didn't hit it full side ways more of a hard glance! Car actually went up the pole. I was in the air for a second or two First pole hit just behind the front wheel then cought the door as its pushed it backwards. The the second pole hit the rear quarter and rear wheel. The axle has moved mate your right. There was diff oil leaking on the road and the passanger side spring fell out.

Still not heard from them yet think I'm going to lose my mind!

Are you getting the car back then?

If they give you 2.5k and the car I'd say you did pretty well out of it!

Got an audi a3 Quattro turbo sport up for sale soon. Y reg, 4 wheel drive, 180bhp, cup holder that glides out of the dash, climate control etc etc. ;)

Edited by Shug

Looks doable to me. From the pics the difficult bit will be straightening the door hinges to be sure of good alignment! Getting a new axle to sit square is relatively easy.

It's gonna come down to time and budget I think !

Easy option will be a re shell.

A bit of inspiration for you ( sorry its not a manta)

Take one very rolled 206 super up car

IMG_0514.jpg

Remove complete side of car

IMG_0519.jpg

Replace with new panel

17feb2008058.jpg

Then do roof and other side.....

Edited by upk

I think it's repairable as well. The A piller will pull quite easily, thankfully it's solid and not crumpled more of a slight push over. I am more interested in the rear axle mounts and chassis, I think there is a bit more going on there, but again Iooking at it I would say its defo worth repairing. It's amazing how relatively solid and rot free it looks, even the way the rear quarter, like the door skin has peeled from its frame bursting the spot welds!! How good is the rest of the shell?