V6 Conversion

*energy*

Good morning guys.well my cavalier turbo 4x4 project is almost finished and ready to hit the road...not that exited about that to be honest...but it does mean the mk1 cav project can finaly be started...thats exiting!!

so the plan was to go nissan sr20det.but starting my own business etc ment i had to pass up on the engine.

so the new plan is a vectra 2.5v6...engine and some pretty paint and wheels:-)

question is....has anyone done a v6 conversion?what gear box?omega?and roughly what parts should i start looking at buying.i had a look on google but didnt come up with much info.

cheers again lads......and pics to follow over the next few weeks when i start her

Best thing to start with would be a cavalier or calibra V6 as you can use the inlet manifold and the wiring, as these cars run a motronic system much the same as the 16v motors they are more or less plug and play. If you look at a Vectra or Omega then you; need to work around the immobiliser system.

Gear box can be either a 1.8s box, 2.0 Carlton box or an Omeag box. If you go for the Omega box then remember you won't have a speedo drive and and its a fluid clutch so you'll need to knock up a master cylinder. Also with the Omega & Carlton boxes you'll need to mod the prop.

Sump will need to be made either from scratch or mod a Cavalier/Calibra sump to fit and the exhaust manifolds will need to be made which may mean using a remote oil filter.

There are a couple of V6 cars in the club but they are not a simple drop in conversion, good luck with it if you do do it

Cheers

Andy

thanks for your replys guys.

i have a v6 from a vectra b and also one from a calibra...so i have options.

by having a look on line etc manta box does look the best option as i dont need top hack up the tunnel....even tho im monkeying about with the car i would like the mods to be reversable if i wish to return her to standard from.

thanks again

I think the Omega box has been done a few times now without tunnel mods but remember you won't have a speedo drive and a fluid clutch but the are ways around it.

As for inlets etc the easy way is to use the calibra setup with its loom. You can use the Vectra set up but the loom is intergrated in the main harness so you need to extract the engine loom from that and you'll have the transponder to play with.,you will aslo need to run all the vac valves & EGR systems

You could use the Vectra Manifold with the Calibra harness and ecu but you'll to mod the manifold. Don't bother with the Omega set up as the Manifold sits to high, unless you want to cut the bonnet

Cheers

Andy

I'm restoring an Ascona B and pondering whether to replace the 2 litre CIH with something a little more exciting.....so correct me if I'm wrong but reading the above thread it sounds like I can use the 2.5V6 Vectra engine with a Carlton Getrag box without butchering the tunnel or inner wings... A few wiring issues (although I'm certain I can get the immobiliser software removed from the Vectra ECU) and I'd have to find a way to fit clutch hydraulics but am I reading this right cos I happen to have a rotten V6 vectra at my disposal and the thought of putting that in tickles me!

Any pics of completed transplants around? Any advice appreciated as always chaps!

Dave

• 7 years later...

Bit of a thread resurrection here - I am in the early stages of sourcing bits to convert a GTE to a v6. Likely donor is either an Omega 3 litre with a manual box, or a vectra with an Omega 3 litre installed (been offered both). I have a getrag 240 gearbox lined up irrespective of which engine so I have options. Do not want to go down the bonnet bulge route. What would you guys say is the better option? I will be nabbing loom/ecu/keys etc however want to retain a fair degree of individuality in the cockpit hence not considering the 3.2 which needs dash to run I believe. I can consider standalone ecu, also dry sump - very open to ideas, albeit the easier the better!!!!!! Thanks guys

• Like 1

Straight 6 is probably the easier option, been done a lot if times and solid conversion.

V6 3.2 would be interesting for sure, but you might need to get creative with the management.Advantage going for a different ECU setup  But would be an interesting build. Definitely the bigger cost, but you could get it running in an earlier V6 Motronic2.5 setup and plan out what alternative management to use.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jonnyboy54321 said:

agreed about the straight six but its a massively heavy lump at the front - one of the things that attracted me to the v6 was how compact it is (could have a party between it and a radiator lol)

I woukd not put the 24v in the front of a manta, that's a fact. I did look at the V6 as  an option for my AsconaA, but the smaller capacity and I am way off engine options. But if you progress the V6 route, I will be watching with my beady eye 😉

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

There is a manta from Scotland way back, 3.0 v6 with 2.5 fwd inlet, home made steel sump, maybe a manta gearbox, homemade exhaust manifolds, if you search for it on here, think it was goldy colour. 

The V6 has the same std GM small block bolt pattern, so a 240 from 1.8 would mate up.

Im not an engine expert but could you ditch the standard ECU and use the Omex setup?

The guys at Omex are super helpful and you can buy the bare loom and set it up exactly as you want.

Seems the Ford guys run it on V6's

Ford Cologne V6
Dave Ward's Sierra XR4x4 came to him with the standard 2.9litre V6. After tidying the bodywork Dave started to want more from the engine, so a 3.7litre engine was fitted, an Omex 710 ECU

http://omextechnology.co.uk/ecu-710.html

Just thinking out loud.

Andy

Edited by 611
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GTEPETE said:

My nephew fitted a Omex 600 to his Turbo technics Mk3 Cavalier with no issues..just take your time, think he used one of their universal wiring looms...started first time...if money is tight, stick to the standard ecu...

Got the Omex 600 on mine. Super easy to setup and used the bare loom as it was cheaper and i could use just what i wanted on it. Nice an easy to do and in the general scheme of things not that expensive.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jonnyboy54321 said:

Out of interest what sort of £££ did the ecu and loom set you back?

Appreciate there are mapping/rr costs after of course

Without trying to find the invoice the ECU was about £600 and the loom £60. The bare loom is cheaper and much better as its just the bare wires and you can just use what you want and set it to the right length for your particular setup. I got mine from Northampton Motorsport as that i where i had the car mapped and they knew their stuff with the Omex setup.

I had a Webcon one before but had lots of issues so when i had it setup they took of the Webcon and popped their Omex on mine, did the initial setup, i then took the car home and setup the bare loom and got it all working and they dialled in remotely when i first fired it up to check all was ok and tweak it slightly to make sure it was spot on and running fine.

When we are out of lockdown and i have the car run in and we can travel again, its back up for the final full power run.

The Omex was so easy to setup and the Omex support guys are brilliant if you need any technical help. I had a lot of the stuff from the old Webcon and didn't want to buy stuff if i didnt need it so called them and the only sensor that they said i needed to buy was the air temp as the webcon would not work but and an adaptor to get the old rev counter to work, all the other stuff (water temp, trigger sensor etc..) were fine to use, so minimal cost needed for the setup. The Omex interface is pretty easy to use and you can just download it from there site and run it up on the laptop. Northampton motorsport has a few base maps to get it going if i could not get up to them but luckily for me it was just before the first lockdown and when i started it the guy dialled in from home to check it over before starting.

Andy

• Like 2

Personally I think the Omex system is a little overpriced now, but there is still a lot if support and users. As a system that pretty much anyone can fit, it might be worth the extra?, not 100% convinced myself as the all the map tables are all pretty much the same anyway. Personally I like MS, the interface us solid and there are tuners out there that are happy to use it. 
I would go with a system that your local tuner is more comfortable to use is probably the right move.

http://www.extraefi.co.uk

http://omextechnology.co.uk/page144.html

https://www.emeraldm3d.com

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 2

I think I have a contact regarding the megasquirt actually. Its all new to me!

I had an engine and manual box lined up, drive car home jobby so I would be happy, all was not how it seems however so I may well go with the omega engine thats in a vectra b with vectra induction setup instead. I can source a steel sump/flywheel etc off a scrapper locally.

• Like 1