Yellow Cavalier

Snowy

Got a 2L engine and gearbox from mantaman last Friday. They came attached so I took the gearbox and clutch off today. Thanks again Ian!!

It is always worth removing the clutch to take a look no matter where the engine came from. Even I was surprised to see this....

IMAG0535_zpsnu2jjhva.jpg

So off with the flywheel to get it skimmed and checked over.

IMAG0536_zps6lhjr8y6.jpg

Doing this now is a lot easier than putting everything back in the car and then finding out something is wrong!!

I also thought I'd take a look at the rear bumper. The end mounts have been bent from a knock and didn't want to come off....Anyone got any spare..

IMAG0532_zpssszdtk5z.jpg

The bumper started like this...

IMAG0531_zpssir64qrh.jpg

and ended like this...But to be honest the picture makes it look 100 times better than it is. It needs re chroming.

IMAG0534_zpstxnubj6z.jpg

• Like 1

I had never seperated the engine and box in all the time i had them, bought for another project that has had a change of dirrection, the Manta it came out of ( not mine ) must have been driving around like this until the engine and box where swopped for an XE.

That bumper has come up very well, nice and shiney with genuine age 'pattena'

As for the brackets, i know i have not got any but they do not look like complicated pieces of metal, perhaps it would be possible to fabricate replacements.

I had never seperated the engine and box in all the time i had them, bought for another project that has had a change of dirrection, the Manta it came out of ( not mine ) must have been driving around like this until the engine and box where swopped for an XE.

That bumper has come up very well, nice and shiney with genuine age 'pattena'

As for the brackets, i know i have not got any but they do not look like complicated pieces of metal, perhaps it would be possible to fabricate replacements.

The spring didn't actually fall out until I removed the plate. There appears to be no damage to any component. The chances are the defect in the clutch was there from day one as it is a GM part.

I have already drawn up the brackets. I will just make some in work next week.

Thanks

Why do you have to make new brackets Snowy? You say they are only bent.

Bent, corroded, twisted, seized fasteners that have broken off in the threads.

It is just easier sometimes to make new than to fix old.

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing a bit more, not been well so not much progress, but I have everything I need now, except bushes, to make it to billing.

Decided to put the car onto my turn over jig to help with the welding on the underside. So off with the rear axle..

IMAG0476_zpsazbrykbk.jpg

IMAG0572_zpsfnvfplro.jpg

IMAG0573_zpsxu71cqqk.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

or I would but I cannot as the file sizes are too big to even fit one picture........

I have hit this snag, the only way i have worked out to change/reduce the file size is put it on photobucket which sort of defeats the object of having a re-vamped forum, i think this is one for our techy wizzard to advise about

Out of interest, what ur neighbours think of a inverted flying car!

Great work btw!

They don't seem to mind. But the car isn't inverted as I found out that tilting the car with rotten chassis rails does distort the body. Only by a few mm's. Those that say it doesn't have obviously never measured the car properly once they have tried it. My car is now well supported and the right way up. I'm also using a jig made from a good car with untouched chassis rails to make sure everything stays in the right place.

• 2 weeks later...

Added pictures to photobucket of the very slow chassis repair. I did start by trying to repair what was there but decided to ho the whole hog and replace them properly.

So I made this using a car with good chassis rails. Basic but light enough and ridged enough to use a jig. Light as it will be on and off quite a bit while repairs take place.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

And as suspected when you roll a manta over on a chassis roller the lower positions move by about 3 -4mm. Which is not good. Maybe if the glass was out this wouldn't happen? But I decided not to take any risks.

So before the chassis rail was cut out the car was well supported. What you cant see in the pictures is the roll over jig is supporting the very front of the car but not lifting it.

The removal of the chassis leg

Then replacing the inner. Made straight.

Then the kink added to get it to line up

Then welded in once checked against the jig.

The lower chassis bolt can be put in and out using finger pressure only.

Now the outer repair started

Still needs cleaning up.

The other side getting ready to go on.

Edited by Snowy
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Now the weather is good the work can start again..

The drivers side chassis rail is completed. Next weekend, if the weather is good, the passenger side will be done.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MANTAMAN said:

That is a very neat repair,well done, now when can you fit in my R Reg coupe to have its chassie rails done.....

To be honest I've got doing this down to a fine art now. It's only the weather that stops me. If I could be bothered and the weather was good enough it only takes a couple of days per side.

There isn't that much to do underneath. So the plan is finish all the welding I can find, blast the underside, etch prime, and upol raptor etc. Then put the car back together getting the interior right. Then paint at a later date.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...