1986 GTE Hatch, Swindon

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

Just incase this bit of information is useful to anyone...

..I found out that he wouldn't take £2000 for it :thumbup

:lol:Heck mate that's a well cheeky offer,but fair play if you don't ask you don't get as they say:blink:to be fair its got to be worth in the 3k maybe 3.5k region,if its as good as it looks.

What would the equivalent coupe be worth:wacko:then lob a couple of grand off:lol:

• Like 1

Cheeky compared to what he's asking for it certainly. Though I think he's being a bit optimistic and of course he has every right to be. I got an earlier GTE hatch with MOT on eBay (proper bids tend to be a guide for true value) for less than £1800 and that was in September. However mine is non sunroof, which may be why he's asking more for this 'rare' option! :lol:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

Cheeky compared to what he's asking for it certainly. Though I think he's being a bit optimistic and of course he has every right to be. I got an earlier GTE hatch with MOT on eBay (proper bids tend to be a guide for true value) for less than £1800 and that was in September. However mine is non sunroof, which may be why he's asking more for this 'rare' option! :lol:

non sunroof as common as muck mate.:lol::blink:

Edited by evo3000
  • Like 1

Has Mike or anyone been to see it? I think I've seen it change hands quite a few times in recent years and it was a club members car judging by the yellow disk holder and circular vinyl thingy. I also think it was at a dealers about the time I bought my 16,000 mile GTE, as I used it to haggle the price down (it might have just been a very similar numberplate)

I'm in the market for a very solid hatch with less than 90k, but as well as the seller thinking the quads and steering wheel were options and the rare sunroof, so he's obviously not 'well up' on Mantas, there's a few things that I'm put off by. It's very likely to have been resprayed rather than well kept, given the missing decals and slighty mis-placed decals on the front and rear, the small masking tape paint gap on the n/s quarter glass edge. The rear bumper has taken a hit as there's a scrape on it and the bracket is bent, hence why it's tilted upwards. There's a mudflap missing on just the n/s/f wheel arch AND it the wheel has 3 weights, which is what tyre fitters do when they can't get a wheel true, so it's probably been bumped up and down a curbside a few times. A damn shame he's asking that much, if it were £3k then I'm sure we'd have met in the middle from my earlier offer by now! :lol:

the seller thinking the quads and steering wheel were options

You could have these items fitted by the dealership at the time of purchase, the car arrived at the dealer in original condition and the parts where exchanged before delivery.

I have a GTE coupe that has Irmscher quad lights, three piece spoiler and rear bumper added at the dealer before delivery, which is how it aquired an i200 style thin edge three piece spoiler.

So in a way you could say these items where options as was all the other offerings in the Irmscher catalog.

I think the rear bumper may have been replaced without the side brakets, they can be a swine attach, this would explain the front corners pointing upward, the gap between the bumper and rear bodywork is even all the way across.

The only way to know if this Manta is a good'un is to inspect it 'in the metal'

Has Mike or anyone been to see it? I think I've seen it change hands quite a few times in recent years and it was a club members car judging by the yellow disk holder and circular vinyl thingy. I also think it was at a dealers about the time I bought my 16,000 mile GTE, as I used it to haggle the price down (it might have just been a very similar numberplate)

I'm in the market for a very solid hatch with less than 90k, but as well as the seller thinking the quads and steering wheel were options and the rare sunroof, so he's obviously not 'well up' on Mantas, there's a few things that I'm put off by. It's very likely to have been resprayed rather than well kept, given the missing decals and slighty mis-placed decals on the front and rear, the small masking tape paint gap on the n/s quarter glass edge. The rear bumper has taken a hit as there's a scrape on it and the bracket is bent, hence why it's tilted upwards. There's a mudflap missing on just the n/s/f wheel arch AND it the wheel has 3 weights, which is what tyre fitters do when they can't get a wheel true, so it's probably been bumped up and down a curbside a few times. A damn shame he's asking that much, if it were £3k then I'm sure we'd have met in the middle from my earlier offer by now! :lol:

Offer on ours it's done 

image.jpg

Blinking heck rick what you waiting for,jacks old hatch must be ticking all the right boxes for you.:blink:

Its got nice additional extras on it,its a non sunroof,it drives nice and is good to go.:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Its a no brainer mate go for it.:wacko:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Kevin Abbott said:

We have an exclusive coupe and hatch to do in Monaco blue and a starmist black exclusive. The paint bill is going to be fun 

Starmist black exclusive coupe was the only manta that would of replaced by black gte coupe back in the day (that's what I said) as it had all the irmscher bits on as standard.

In the end I kept my gte as I could not part with it.:blink:

Look forward to seeing the completion of yours kev..:)

• Like 1

Thanks for the offers on the cars there gents, Jack's old GTE is tempting. I do have a road going Manta now but, I'm actually after a GTE hatch with as low mileage as possible and minimal to no previous weld repairs like the one I had 3 Mantas ago. I would have bought that 'garaged since 1988 at 14,000 miles' one, but alas the old owner sold it to someone (with a Scottish or Irish accent, how the person who told me couldn't tell the difference is beyond me!) without even stating a price or calling me back :-( 

I'm quite confident that the early B-series SR wheels weren't an option on a late GTE. The quads were, but didn't they also remove the headlamp washers and the round bottle too? My early 80's Mantas without the headlamp wash/wipe all had round bottles and no jets on the front bumper. It was standard on the GTE to have wash/wipe but I'd have thought the dealer would have a full kit to fit, they would have changed the alternator too wouldn't they? Either way, it's a logical conclusion based on everything else the seller is claiming. No sale on eBay by the look of things.

Just need to find an old lady who's late husband kept his GTE hatch garaged and just used it to drive to a Vauxhall service and MOT centre once a year, where he eventually bought a Nova. I could offer her something on the side too ;-)

Edited by Rick-Manta

• 2 weeks later...