Track day v8 manta

jamie077366

Time to resurrect after 3 years off the road. Was originally  off the road for engine rebuild and swap lt77 box for the more readily and less knacked r380. As often the case it wasn't quite finished... after few years stood the average areas like sills, floor pans, chassis rails etc are now in need of replacement. It's always been track car since Iv had it so tidiness hasn't really been priority, but, with prices going high and all the other work done itl be treated to new arches, back panel etc etc, trouble is it's not were you start but when to stop! 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hum, not had much done but, few bit and bobs, the shell is pretty tired. Worse than originally thought, but then again, they probably all are. Trying to stiffen shell, IMO late sunroof hatch model probably floppiest shell of them , the b’s with no sun roof had the stiffening in roof , coups stiffer in first place, people say the b’s used better steal, this was quite rotten too so put it all together you’ve got one floppy track car! So, box section inside new chassis rails then the previously mentioned gearbox cross member joining rails together. Not much but it’s a start. I know not everyone’s cup of tea but tbh not many would of bothered with it (even id considered reshelling) so it’s hopefully another car saved. (Probably by 2030) :)

Edited by jamie077366
Spelling
  • Like 3

You should never walk round a manta with an angle grinder and a cheap screw driver in your hand 🤦‍♂️ I kinda thought there’d be nasty things hiding behind the old patches (had a lot of welding in late 90s befor I got it) and gallons of under seal but we wanted to get boss of the obvious first, we were kind of putting off the inevitable by not havIng  a prod really but I couldn’t resist 😂😂 this shell is very poorly 😫, it won’t be a show car when finished but hopefully end up being solid for a good while 

• Like 1

That all looks pretty standard stuff mate. If your brave enough, anything is fixable.

Get your angle grinder, MIG welder and your overalls out and enjoy yourself!

Yes, there will be days that get you down (it happens to most people), but Rome wasn’t built in a day, so take your time and enjoy what you are doing - saving a classic car!

Good luck to you, at the end you will be very glad you made the effort.    :thumbup

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, my brother does welding etc, I’m ok ish with the mechanical jobs but this is mainly welding so been relagated to cutting and wire brushing etc but never welded, my bro been really slow so I begged him to show me how to weld, his words were ‘ Jamie, you’re a riding instructor,  would you teach a beginner how to break a horse in’  after persistent asking he let me have a bash. I practised on some patches on the battery tray then spent load of nights from 9pm ish 11pm ish trying to get stuck in. Quite happy with progress  for a novice 

Edited by jamie077366
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Had a few nights on floor pan and and little more on inner wing. A bit random but a lot depends on if iv use of my brothers 4 poster.  With hind sight I should of bought another floor pan. You thing there’s a few small patches but once you start cutting   🤦‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, Tried to get stuck in over the last month. So, since re started both floors sorted including recommissioning jacking point,  strange thing is drivers side floor had no jacking point from previous repair, as it’s a track car not a show car a bit of box has done the job and located to a post (although I wish I’d bought a propper one now) both inner wings done, new passenger sill and arch tacked on. Bit of advice to inexperienced guys like my self(not that I’m qualified to give it)  don’t bother patching floors, just buy floor pan, I didn’t think passenger side was THAT bad, would of been quicker and infinitely better job just getting another floor pan. I’l never sell the car but surly would be worth a lot more not having all the floor patches. (Drivers side new floor pan, passenger side patches) iv welded on top and the over lap underneath and seam welded new chassis rail.trying to do best job I can with limited experience but  My plan is to practice on this one then when iv finished do my second car from 21 years ago, a ‘78 coupe properly.

• Like 1

Just now, peter evans said:

Keep up the good work it will come together in the end

I’m building a 400r also got a track manta here in great condition which I’m going to use on a hill climb as a practice car , before I use the 400r

Thanks peter, appreciate your reply. yes, best not have a shunt in the 400r!  Was debating to make my old coupe into 400r, iv still got plenty ahead of me in this one befor I decide! 😂

Been all afternoon doing stuff I didn’t know needed doing..... thought I’d finished inner wings, removing the remaining underseal to paint and found little hole that , er, turned into big hole. Quick patch then off with offside sill, I knew rear inner sill was really bad but turns out fair bit more, looked ok ish on inside, few patchs made and welded in. Will have a look at the nasty stuff Wednesday, don’t want to play anymore  😂😂

As planned I skived away from work for a few hours, cut all rot out, 

welded jacking point strengthening plate in and did inner most part of inner sill, tbh not sure exactly how it was supposed to go, there wasn’t anything left to try and copy 🤦‍♂️ I think it’l b ok , it looks better than a couple of hours ago😂 will do outer part of inner sill (if that makes sense) one eve

Hi Jamie,

Skiving off work, surely not! - lets hope you boss doesn't know about this thread/the OMOC forum  :lol:

Not sure if it might help you or not, but I've fairly recently been down this route myself. If you take a look at my project thread (Polar White and rust etc), there might be something that helps you somehow.

Cheers for now.

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

Hi Jamie,

Skiving off work, surely not! - lets hope you boss doesn't know about this thread/the OMOC forum  :lol:

Not sure if it might help you or not, but I've fairly recently been down this route myself. If you take a look at my project thread (Polar White and rust etc), there might be something that helps you somehow.

Cheers for now.

Thanks Ian, yes there’s some helpful pics, I’m going to wait until my brother is around to give me a hand with the next part or I may end up making work for myself. He welds/fabricates etc for a living, he was was supposed to be sorting the shell but was soooo so slow hence why Iv done it. Iv enjoyed doing it though and with exsprience gained I can hopefully do a good job on this one... my second car from 22 years ago. It looks bad and has usual rot but is actually a better shell than my hatch ...

Pennysworth! If you have a spare replacement sill, basicially you are trying to revert back to that area with the pocket, but why replace it at all if its a trackcar, could something better be made that isnt hollow and traps water!  Just a thought! 

This area on both hatches, and coupes are difficult and tricky, not impossible, but the rear lower area on a hatch is nearly the worst ever, nearly deeming them unrepairable, nearly! 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ®evo03 said:

Pennysworth! If you have a spare replacement sill, basicially you are trying to revert back to that area with the pocket, but why replace it at all if its a trackcar, could something better be made that isnt hollow and traps water!  Just a thought! 

I’v got new outer sill. You’re definitely right,  it’s just when I do something different to original I tell my self ‘it’s ok it’s a track car’ trouble is if I keep saying that it could end up being a bit of a scrap heap challenge 😂  ok, I’m gonna get stuck in now 😂

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Yeh, my latest project is so tempting for a demolition derby, there is one coming up too, boxing day!  Will have to get it up on a spit before that to stop me doing this! 

Nooo don’t do it!!!

30 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Yeh, my latest project is so tempting for a demolition derby, there is one coming up too, boxing day!  Will have to get it up on a spit before that to stop me doing this! 

Hang on, where did you find that picture of my hatch from? 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, warning, purists look away 😂 so there wasn’t much off inner sill left plus’s it’s  possibility not the best of designs anyway. So... 2nm plate along inner part, 2nm plate going from what was left of b  post to floor and inner part of inner sill, then more 2mm plate replacing outer most part, finally more 2mm going from b post to inner sill. I’m probably not making much sense but I’d guest it’s stiffer than original, itl take a while to rot and at least there’s something to attach sill too. Apologies if this causes offence to those skilled individuals, it’s the best I could think of, sorry! 😂😂