Track day v8 manta

jamie077366

• 5 months later...

No post for a while, been doing boring stuff, brake lines, wheel bearings, longer heavy duty wheel studs (the original ones quite liked there home and didn’t want evicting, big hammer needed) but finally....  a slightly more interesting pic..... 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by jamie077366
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rear windows, black trim, skirts, front  lights and bumper on in last few evenings, been fun..... you spend weeks sorting arches etc and can’t really tell were you’ve been yet a couple of evenings putting trim on and it looks like you’ve rebuilt the car.... 😂

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Ups and downs.... su’s were rebuilt with help from my bro a few months ago... alls well and v8 running well... then carb leaking out of over flow.... checked float level... all as should be, inspect for blockage all clean and float seams to work as should... put back on and no leak... hum... I didn’t actually do anything. Anyhow, moved of ramp etc few days later.... same carb leaking.... remove inspect.... small amount of sediment in bottom.... clean... back on all good. Few days later, back on ramp for odds and sods....other carb leaking.... getting bored now however I’m getting super quick at taking carbs off. The fiddly not on each side is on and of in seconds. 🤦‍♂️Anyway, it’s the same fuel pump an I’d ran for years befor taking of the road 7 years ago but did a bit of a google and got a fuel regulator as su’s don’t like to much pressure.... the result? The fuel pisses out slower.... I’m getting a bit stumped now....Iv had su’s on viva’s and Chevets back in the day and never had this problem.  So.. set the float level lower than it should.... and .... so far ok...(even though in the past iv set it to recommendations? oh, forgot to mention, new fuel filter added too.... iv actually lost count how many times iv had the carbs of...ok good need and bad news.... manta back home after 7 years at my brothers shed/garden, unfortunately it’s got muddy as he’s out in the sticks with a muddy farm drive... bad news... was booked in for mot tomorrow... but... brake peddle went to the floor on a quick pre mot shake down drive for half mile tonight. Had new callipers, lines and rear slave cylinder and all been well so either my dodgy plumbing or master cylinder. Either way going to have to cancel tomorrow’s mot.... but hey, was great driving it home for first time! 

• Like 3

Pressure wash and in my tiny garage for a week and then take back to my brothers , gonna take a break before taking a look at brakes, also after my little drive realised there’s still few little jobs, you don’t always realise till you’ve been for a drive. But.. for now..I’m all Manta’d out 😂 ps, she does own a set of black rims but thought I’d leave the 195’s on for some donuts befor putting the 888’s on 😂

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Ahh what a month, so couple of developments, iv been doing restoration at my brothers as he’s a lift tools welder etc, iv cleared out a unused Nissen hut (pic is after I spent a week clearing out all the junk) to make my own spot, really happy to have a place to play on manta at home. With some help from you guys and google I’m pretty sure sorted diff whine,  only driven round yard but so far so good. I’m a bit fed up of getting oily so got some g3 compound on this eve, came up ok....

I think nearly on for mot...

short term jobs...

sort out water temp gauge 

horn not overly lively (occasionally squeaks but mot tester would need to be in a good mood to pass)

Sort lights....again... I spent ages on them  a few months ago but now one back light 
Would rather be an indicator....

change needles in su’s, if fuel correct at tick over it’s lean under load...

few more bits and bobs 

thanks for help 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

I spy with my little eye ....Nissan Sylvia Coupe?

Ha ha, yes... pretty rare now but surprisingly don’t make much.  it’s my mums, not been on the road for ten years, it’s pretty solid. she’s 82 now though so maybe best if stays under a cover 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shaun400r said:

Looks well 👍 iv sorted lots of light, need sort hefty  cable for welder and compressor, not starting next project until winter so plenty of time. Makes you more likely to go out if you’ve a nice place to play  👍

• Like 3

Love those Nissen huts. If it was me I’d put the car on axle stands , turn the lights off and get the kids to run down the side with torches, it would be just like driving through tunnels in the alps. Maybe !!!

Shaun ,   That’s a great space fella.  I bet you’ve got lots more room in the house now 👍👍

• Haha 1

Sneaked our for a shake  down along a quiet back road, diff good, no nasty noises, engine seams really strong, brakes a bit sketchy (on last trial run brakes felt ok🤷🏼‍♂️) so bit of investigation needed but making slow progress....

• Like 5

On 12/03/2021 at 11:53, Shaun400r said:

Looks just like my chicken shed (god knows why the picture has turned sideways)

Been pottering.... still had intermittent carb problems (su’s leaking from overflow), as we know, intermittent is really tricky to sort/diagnose. Anyway, my pal came round, there are two 6” fuel pipes after filter, what we (he, I’m pretty stupid!) found was those pipes have a rubbery residue inside that could be making float needle not seal properly. Anyway, carbs cleaned, pipes changed and so far no leaks... not overly excited as it’s ran for couple of 30 min sessions befor with no drama.

done lots of other boring jobs but few nice pics of what iv been doing tonight. Decided I’d make it a civilised track car....really pleased. My nephew has been doing a bit of 3D printing for me, ok it’s not high end but I think suits the job of the car. Still fair bit to do but happy with tonight. 

• Like 3

This is looking good pal. This is exactly same route I'm want to go with mine. Track car but could take it out on a nice Sunday night if you felt the need 👍

Did you keep the back seats in it Jamie?

Deffinitely looking nice in there. Been able to actually drive it to and from an event is part of the fun 😎 

One if the problems with my roll Safety Devices cage in the 400r is that it goes through where the dash should sit, approximately where the air vents sit. What cage is this as it seems to solve that issue?