Track day v8 manta

jamie077366

Offside sill and arch Welded on, any one else have any dramas with the Klokkerholm arches? It didn’t seam to have as much flair as the original, made fitting a bit of a ball ache.  My brother gave me a hand who’s done loads of arches for clients etc and he wasn’t massively happy with it. Anyhow, it’s a track car , it’l be fine....😂

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Just checking but are you sure its a Klokkerholm arch? Just asking as all those panels i have ever used including cills etc are painted black. I have found the arches to fit really well.

I did buy a pair of arches from Germany once that were your colour and i ended up using the metal for repair sections as the fit wasn't good, your outer arch looks closer than norm to your petrol filler, might just be the picture angle.

4 hours ago, IanMc said:

Just curious, why did you decide not to use the square profile of the repair panel?

I think can see its shape marked on the rear quarter panel?

Hi Ian, the arch was a really poor fit and needed persuading to fit, so much so serious risk of destorting it, thoughts were less of arch used less destortion. have I been a dick? 😂 Ps.... just read bris jas comment and this could be reason....

3 hours ago, bris jas said:

Just checking but are you sure its a Klokkerholm arch? Just asking as all those panels i have ever used including cills etc are painted black. I have found the arches to fit really well.

I did buy a pair of arches from Germany once that were your colour and i ended up using the metal for repair sections as the fit wasn't good, your outer arch looks closer than norm to your petrol filler, might just be the picture angle.

It says klokerholm on it but as you say, different colour to normal and different to other side that was ordered the same time.... iv not done arches (or much tbh) before but brother said they’re not normally such a t..t to fit...?? I’m guessing iv got same arch as you found not fit for purpose. There were other issues too I won’t bore you with to much 

Edited by jamie077366

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t want to see another pot of filler for a long time! Believe it or not iv been hours and hours getting to where they are now , they still need fair bit of work but will do some more on them when it comes to spray prep. I need a break from arches! Also welded in new steal  in rear quarters and back panel, wish I’d taken pics of before  as that actually went quite well. So, all that’s left is roof, make new exhaust and prep for paint...another month should do it, (if I can bring myself to do bit more on arches) 😂

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

1 hour ago, bris jas said:

Keep going with the arches if your not happy, there are a few lines and curves to get right but well worth the hours and dust once painted and looking right!

Thanks bud. Getting them looking ‘ok I suppose ‘ takes no time, getting them to look spot on takes forever! I’m sure a professional would get them looking good in no time. I know where still needs work, you can even see in the tiny pics. I’m gonna sort wings out then go back to them 👍

• 1 month later...

Quite productive week, new fuel lines, fuel tank in, after buying tool recommended by bris jas (thanks again) door pins came out piece of cake and door swapped, rear interior taken out with no nasty surprises. Today did 360 mile round trip to pick roll cage up from Carl who’s really good guy. Coincidentally there was an Astra van roof skin on way home ,  I had a look and tuck few measurements, roughly speaking it has similar profile to delete sun roof. Not going to bodge it at this stage so if it’s not looking good il keep eye out for a non sunroof hatch skin. Also ordered 2 pack flame red paint. Hopefully will get cage tidied up and take a look at roof next week. 👍

Had always an idea to weld the interior-back of a hatch into a coupé. Just to be able to fold the rear seat and have a lot of space. The petrol tank is a rusty problem to find one but technical it must be possible. Just an idea,,, was it ever done?

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

Had always an idea to weld the interior-back of a hatch into a coupé. Just to be able to fold the rear seat and have a lot of space. The petrol tank is a rusty problem to find one but technical it must be possible. Just an idea,,, was it ever done?

Mm, not a bad idea.... 👍 iv never seen one 

Em, weird? Just buy a hatch :)

I did keep the metal back off a hatch seat, to maybe use in a coupe as a fire wall, you can buy a spare tyre shape fuel tank, that would cure this problem, but wouldnt fancy cutting strengthening x section from coupe. 

I am fitting back of seat from hatch to a coupe, just for the crack. It will be fixed. 

Few evenings spent cutting up Astra van roof for sunroof delete.  Profile pretty close, nice curve in all directions. Astra roof pretty hefty too which helps. Definitely not gonna be a show winner but still on course to be a tidy track car. Hopefully get quite few hours on it tomorrow. Aiming for roof welded in,  roll cage dry fitted and plates welded in 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been busy believe it or not.... cage wire brushed and sprayed...cage dry fitted and 6mm plates welded in..cage was bit of pain to fit, didn’t line up by good few inches to put sleeves on to join front to back, involved ratchet straps and pushing pulling etc 😂 Any way it’s in... diagonal missing so welded 2 diagonals to help stiffen shell, also joined bottom of b post to cage legs on arch for same reason. Located cage to top and middle of b post, same a post, put gusset to roof to help support new roof skin. Put seat in to see where harness bar needs to go. Will obviously spray new diagonals etc. Last pic average as battery to flat on camera to flash and had to edit it lighter... I know folks are hear can do better job but I’m relatively happy how it’s going. I reckon should be back at Caldwell in a month...😂 still got those bloody arches to finish though....

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Looking good matey - it’s all coming along very nicely!

Hey thanks Ian! Going to still have carpets in front and look relatively civilised. Definitely Keeping Recaros in, its only for track days so doesn’t have to be built to a particular spec. I think itl help keep a bit more manta identity. Debating what to do to rear. Il wait until I’ve sprayed in side and then go from there. I can keep tinkering with that what’s it’s basically done. Hope your cav still going well 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Well, roof is kind of roof shape, I am so fed up up of filler, Astra van roof was ‘similar’  profile but as those more experienced than me will know, similar when you get down to it is not right at all. Iv been trying to sort on and off for last month, it’s probably couple hours away from finished but not particularly happy with it. Original brief was just to make a ‘tidy’ track car but iv spent that much time on it I really wanted it looking better. It would of probably been fine if it was just the sun roof area I was replacing but I had to cut out as far back as sunroof casset. Moral is, if you want your manta roof to look original.... use a manta roof 😂😂

anyway, few nights doing odds and sods then get ready for paint, yay.  

Mines is the same. The roof has been played over. Would like to get a manta section and weld it in. Do you know if it has to be a section from a coupe or can a hatch section be used as well?

On 04/07/2019 at 17:49, Bonga said:

Mines is the same. The roof has been played over. Would like to get a manta section and weld it in. Do you know if it has to be a section from a coupe or can a hatch section be used as well?

Not sure but I know hatch roofs don’t make half what coups do so maybe not the same. Having said that if it’s just the sun roof area it’s a possibility. I’m sure guys on here will know 👍

• 1 month later...

No posts but have been busy. After swapping one door it didn’t really shut, other door sagged so much it needed to be lifted to shut so cut top hing , prised it up from inside and rewelded, surprisingly they both open and shut perfectly. Last couple of nights prepping front air dam and primed. Now arches and roof sorted it’s been flying along really well. Hoping to get skirts and back bumper prepped tomorrow. 

Must be getting close, iv got some primer on! Been quite a while prepping, it’s had a few blow overs before so tuck a while. Unfortunately I ran out of primer, I used more than expected a while ago on the cage... 

good news is arches and roof look pretty well, more primer next week and il be nearly there 👍

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Getting stuck in again. I was hoping to get finished by last summer but didn’t quite happen. It was mainly paint prep to do and it’s not ideal in the cold and damp. Anyway, rebuilt su’s and harnes bar sorted. Few odds and sods like brake pipes etc then wait for warm weather to spray 👍

• Like 5