Turning the clock back twenty odd years...

....well that was the last time I was a member of the OMOC. So thought I best say hello, anybody still around from those days (1990's)?. I used be area rep for the East Midlands with my good mate Sean Richards, who now lives in New Zealand. We used to have a ball back in those days, Mantas available and cheap, shows at Billing, Santa Pod and road trips to the Dutch Manta Club meetings at Baarlo and another place in Holland I can't even remember. Sold all my cars, 2.2 A series, Exclusive Coupe and an GSI exclusive coupe in the mid 00 along with all the bits.

Then I was car/toy less till the late 00 and I got Myself a 1976 Vw camper, rebuilt it and still enjoy getting away in it to this day. Then I got that Manta itch back and had to scratch it!

So I'm back having bought that silver B series basket case off Simon down in Suffolk. I just sat in the car today and it was like sitting in an old friend. 

Loads of work to do and bits to find but I'm looking forward to the day I drive it for the first time...

Ian Holmes membership no 6991 original no 441

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome back! Is it a silver b2, with blue velour and blue tinted glass, they had some tasty mantas back in the day, and some not so...... brown dash, cream seats, think the lowest of the low is 1.8 in gold with fawn i teriorand brown dash. Not the mention green interiors. But you have one of the nicest. Equally as nice, 

manta1.jpg

10574397_10152300245562916_2148747757583981455_n_zpsb94f5f9a.jpg&key=c8629e8e7a0b5eb8c1ebe5fc4946fe083293b11bde415cc8225eb683163137e1

DCP_4096.jpg

Why dont you start up a build thread on your silver b?  Great way to preserve and recird history of the car.

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

I got into camper vans too many years ago. And still have her to this day, But a few years ago got the Manta itch again bought a really nice B then a Berlinetta hatch.

But last year was able to secure my old Exclusive coupe back that i originally bought 20 years ago and like you say its like being back in an old friend.

Welcome back.

20160528_135736.jpg

IMG-20190323-WA0001.jpg

Edited by chrisb
  • Like 2

On 10/05/2019 at 20:53, 1900SR said:

The East Mids area is still just about going, although no rep at the moment. We have pub meets just up the road from you at The Gap Inn in Muston, 2nd Monday of each month from about 7.30.

I will pop a long to the next one....Although you may have to remind me. They do a very good breakfast in the Gap.

On 10/05/2019 at 18:45, hoobby said:

Was it a silver gtj by any chance if so I'm will make me and the wife very happy:D had this for many years and holds many happy memories.

11r3hbl.jpg

Yes thats the one! Lots of work ahead...

Edited by fullsunian
  • Like 1

Very best of luck I know you have a big job on your hands what are your plans other than a shed load of welding and sorry about the MK3 golf steel pressed wheels and various missing bits. I take it the mice have gone now🐭. should have seen the smile on my wife's face when I told her :D something like that but much bigger..

17 hours ago, hoobby said:

Very best of luck I know you have a big job on your hands what are your plans other than a shed load of welding and sorry about the MK3 golf steel pressed wheels and various missing bits. I take it the mice have gone now🐭. should have seen the smile on my wife's face when I told her :D something like that but much bigger..

Hi, plan to keep it fairly standard/original...not really touched it yet, spending time making a list of parts required and collecting bits.

I would be interested in any history of the car...I noticed it has another reg number on the glass, but your user name answers that question.

Ian

IMG_20190519_125139.thumb.jpg.89a458a0529c194341d6c62dcf3807bf.jpgBought the car in Rayleigh Essex probably mid 90's was registered as hoo88y and had a omoc sticker in the window I believe there's something in the log book about imported/use abroad ?.was in fair condition but showing signs of future issues (rust) and clutch was slipping due to gearbox seal failure payed £400.had a 2.0s engine standard set up and a four speed box (worn).was used daily for work, holidays and dog transporter.never had the money to sort it's future issues properly and over time she rotted away can't remember if I put in for the last mot or not.reg number was transferred onto our exclusive and so it just sat in the back garden started and moved regularly for many years didn't want to scrap it.ended up giving it to Simon on the understanding it was not going to be cut up and scrapped I would rather have it back.  again very best of luck getting her back on the road and if you could please do a project thread would make me and the wife Very happy.photo from 1996 god she looked good then....and the wife.while digging around in old photos found this our first mantaIMG_20190519_125409.thumb.jpg.d5d7ef57a64f9dfc6944a402feff1360.jpg

Edited by hoobby
Photos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2019 at 12:30, hoobby said:

IMG_20190519_125139.thumb.jpg.89a458a0529c194341d6c62dcf3807bf.jpgBought the car in Rayleigh Essex probably mid 90's was registered as hoo88y and had a omoc sticker in the window I believe there's something in the log book about imported/use abroad ?.was in fair condition but showing signs of future issues (rust) and clutch was slipping due to gearbox seal failure payed £400.had a 2.0s engine standard set up and a four speed box (worn).was used daily for work, holidays and dog transporter.never had the money to sort it's future issues properly and over time she rotted away can't remember if I put in for the last mot or not.reg number was transferred onto our exclusive and so it just sat in the back garden started and moved regularly for many years didn't want to scrap it.ended up giving it to Simon on the understanding it was not going to be cut up and scrapped I would rather have it back.  again very best of luck getting her back on the road and if you could please do a project thread would make me and the wife Very happy.photo from 1996 god she looked good then....and the wife.while digging around in old photos found this our first mantaIMG_20190519_125409.thumb.jpg.d5d7ef57a64f9dfc6944a402feff1360.jpg

Hi Graeme and thanks for some history on the car. Parts have started to arrive now, including floor pans, sills, chassis legs and two second hand doors...still need a bonnet and boot lid though, although there is no rush. There is that much rot in the floor pans the car is in danger of falling in on its self.

Edited by fullsunian
  • Like 1

Yes she's in a bad way I'm we're just glad it's gone to someone who's going to make her good again.maybe one day in the future will meet again I will look forward to that day.already lost two mantas the red one (pictured) I sold but I believe was scrapped and an orange early b with black and white checked seats had the misfortune of watching it burn.