Sign in to follow this  
shaunwilli

spot welding sills

it depends on wether you are fitting a full sill with threshhold or just an outer side panel. original full sills are only spot welded but if i was fitting a side panel i would spot the bottom and do a full run and grind on the top edge .others mayhave different opinions 

I am fitting a full sill on the weekend.Would prefer to spot weld as i have replaced the inner sills with fresh steel and it would be a better finish.

Personally I would check with the MOT tester to find out what he is expecting to see. That way you can avoid some heartache and extra work.

If you are replacing the full sill as per original, I have never seen a failure. Patches and over-sill is classed as patch, need to be seem welded.

Spot weld.  In standard positions on the top edge. Interesting if they would accept spot/rose weld on the bottom edge to inner sill.  Would look original though and they probably won’t even notice. 

IIRC I’ve done spot/ rose weld on lower edge.  If it’s done properly they won’t fail it.  If it looks shonky they will.  

I'm sure someone mentioned it was 50 square box , looks like it was stitch welded 

4 hours ago, shaunwilli said:

Its 25mm x 50mmx 3mm box which fitted great.Already galved aswell.

Thanks, picture does not show it exactly, but it appears to be past the B post, how far does it run length wise(a start location would be great), thanks

It runs half way on the bottom of the b pillar and is attached to the bottom inner section of the A pillar.Would have liked too have past the b pillar but with the shape of the inner sill it would have meant not having it tight on the inner sill for welding it onto.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, shaunwilli said:

It runs half way on the bottom of the b pillar and is attached to the bottom inner section of the A pillar.Would have liked too have past the b pillar but with the shape of the inner sill it would have meant not having it tight on the inner sill for welding it onto.

Thanks for the explanation, that will be very helpful