what rear axle

stumpy

so when you guys build a fast road/rally manta  what rear axle are you  using i have seen commodore  but i think ive also  seen something regards ford atlas axle
if so  what width as they come in different 50 53  ect i know thewhole ford thing is frowned upon  but tbh i dont care about that  if its a better stronger upgrade being ford has been mentionedit seem daft not to mention the cosworth  so  has anyone converted to cosworth sierra rear subframe/diff ect  just an idea  and lastly is the atlas asfitted to capri mk 4 cortina ect a stronger axle than the manta or the commodore?

Edited by stumpy

Its like anything! Anything can break, or anything can be of better quality, think it depends on the condition of the item. 

As for axles, see atlas, volvo, simitar, bmw IRS subframes, subframes with original floor sections. R33 skylines. Jag IRS, 

I think with rally, fast road, a strong atlas, as its supported and upgraded by motorsport upgrades and variation of parts selection, and has been developed to its full potential. 

https://retropower.co.uk/category/projects/completed-projects/

I always wanted to try a 740, 940 volvo axle, story is some ex works 400s upgraded to these to eliminate commodore axles failures. Although at best the where only taking 280bhp.

A manta drifted for years on a gte axle welded solid and receiving 400bhp

Start a project thread and build up your axle, plenty here with help and advice. 

Heres the bm 3 series surframe setup!

ebay20654.jpg

ebay20651.jpg

ebay20653.jpg

Missed out on this! For the price of a kit, shell and revos at the time, was setup for a volvo T5 too, included, something tells me there was steering setup issues!

ebay20645.jpg

ebay20647.jpg

Gutted! Where did it go?  Manta looks, quattro sound! 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 26/09/2020 at 09:14, ®evo03 said:

Heres the bm 3 series surframe setup!

ebay20654.jpg

ebay20651.jpg

ebay20653.jpg

Missed out on this! For the price of a kit, shell and revos at the time, was setup for a volvo T5 too, included, something tells me there was steering setup issues!

ebay20645.jpg

ebay20647.jpg

Gutted! Where did it go?  Manta looks, quattro sound! 

I remember this I sold him the shell as his was rotten.never did find out where it went. He sold it to make room for 2 mg bgts. 

Was a nice bloke can't remember his name. Would of been 2012 ish it was for sale

• Like 1

Things we can only dream of in Belgium. Some days ago I called a friend to ask if he had some Commodore/Rekord rear axle lower arms to fit a Commo axle under my Manta GSI. He tolled me a friend of him did the same with the chassisrails of a "400" and the car didn't pass the Belgian MOT. Wors:They destroyed his car on paper so you can't rebuild that car back to original and MOT it again. MOT in Belgium is not done in a garage or dealer but done by government approved companies:

za4h9316.jpg?itok=gXfX8Sly

If you want to work at the Belgian MOT you don't even have to be a car mecanical🤪

Edited by H-400
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, H-400 said:

Things we can only dream of in Belgium. Some days ago I called a friend to ask if he had some Commodore/Rekord rear axle lower arms to fit a Commo axle under my Manta GSI. He tolled me a friend of him did the same with the chassisrails of a "400" and the car didn't pass the Belgian MOT. Wors:They destroyed his car on paper so you can't rebuild that car back to original and MOT it again. MOT in Belgium is not done in a garage or dealer but done by government approved companies:

If you want to work at the Belgian MOT you don't even have to be a car mecanical🤪

WoW that is harsh ! Coincidence I just PM about the Commodore axle 😁 but I also need a pair of those arms if you see extras lmk please 🙏

• Like 1

Wasnt there someone remaking these arms? Trying to think where i seen them? Was it retropower, or maybe somewhere in EU.

Herman we have the same local government, to be quite honest i agree, even i know more than they do, im no mechanic!

But not as harsh, and pretty clueless as to what parts should be there, or not. Ironicially it is stated that the mot only is worth the paper its written on for one day. Roadworthiness is then bestowed upon the owner!

A opel kadett was mot passed using a different more modern model floor pan, running gear, basicially its a skateboard car, the under pinnings of a car with a shell on top, some call it a snail car.

We have no mots for a year now, they broke their own ramps! All of them. 

Herman, how do they know a manta isnt a proper 400 with same arms, something like MSA log books for rallying or racing, if it existed when manufactured it is allowed. Ie a dog leg box, modifications to 400 spec chassis

Does your mot allow rear disk brakes, engine mods, carbs, throttle bodies, bike carbs, power assisted steering, air cons. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Wasnt there someone remaking these arms? Trying to think where i seen them? Was it retropower, or maybe somewhere in EU.

Herman we have the same local government, to be quite honest i agree, even i know more than they do, im no mechanic!

But not as harsh, and pretty clueless as to what parts should be there, or not. Ironicially it is stated that the mot only is worth the paper its written on for one day. Roadworthiness is then bestowed upon the owner!

A opel kadett was mot passed using a different more modern model floor pan, running gear, basicially its a skateboard car, the under pinnings of a car with a shell on top, some call it a snail car.

We have no mots for a year now, they broke their own ramps! All of them. 

Herman, how do they know a manta isnt a proper 400 with same arms, something like MSA log books for rallying or racing, if it existed when manufactured it is allowed. Ie a dog leg box, modifications to 400 spec chassis

Does your mot allow rear disk brakes, engine mods, carbs, throttle bodies, bike carbs, power assisted steering, air cons. 

I meant they was harsh at scrapping the car, don't care much for bureaucrats.

I have managed to find the, in Australia, new pair for Holden fir about £200 delivered, but German ebay have some, already sent to German to check if they are correct.

Edited by Jessopia74

@Evo03: There are some details that that make a standard body different from a real "400"one. Remember there were some pics showed on internet of a restoration of a "400" and me and a friend noticed at the same time without being together it was not the real stuff. Some hours later those pics were deleted but I already copied them. When I spoke with my friend on the first carmeeting we both began together about that car and the details that were missing. Later I confronted the owner of the restoration "400" about that situation and he kept on saying it is a real one. If he sells that car as a real one that is fraud, theft. 

In Belgium it is not allowed to change your brakes, engine, tuning like throttle bodies etc. I fitted vent. discs and calipers of the Rekord E 2.2 in my GSI but in fact it is not allowed. Difficult to see in the rims so in those 25 years they never noticed. We are allowed to lower the car, with papers of the set that it is made for your type of car and with a document of an official workshop the build is done professional with if needed adjustment of the brake pressure/load valve of the rear axle. Belgium is not a car friendly country so it is always a confrontation to go to meetings in the UK, Germany and Holland and see what we miss.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

@Evo03: There are some details that that make a standard body different from a real "400"one. Remember there were some pics showed on internet of a restoration of a "400" and me and a friend noticed at the same time without being together it was not the real stuff. Some hours later those pics were deleted but I already copied them. When I spoke with my friend on the first carmeeting we both began together about that car and the details that were missing. Later I confronted the owner of the restoration "400" about that situation and he kept on saying it is a real one. If he sells that car as a real one that is fraud, theft. 

In Belgium it is not allowed to change your brakes, engine, tuning like throttle bodies etc. I fitted vent. discs and calipers of the Rekord E 2.2 in my GSI but in fact it is not allowed. Difficult to see in the rims so in those 25 years they never noticed. We are allowed to lower the car, with papers of the set that it is made for your type of car and with a document of an official workshop the build is done professional with if needed adjustment of the brake pressure/load valve of the rear axle. Belgium is not a car friendly country so it is always a confrontation to go to meetings in the UK, Germany and Holland and see what we miss.

WoW, that definitely is some tough restrictions. Will make it harder to keep the old timer cars on the road safe if you can't upgrade parts. 

i know some of the streetfighter modified motorcycle]  boys in germany build their bike to pass the mot or the equivelant then take it home and strip it and build it as they want it a lot of work to do every year

Edited by stumpy

49 minutes ago, rutts said:

This setup is what is going on my ascona a. Using a Salisbury 4ha power loc differential 4.09-1 heavy but strong. Similar to group 4 chevette. Just had a total rebuild ready to fit. 

FB_IMG_1583339955766.jpg

I like that for the 4HA. Had something similar in my head for the pickups coming off the crossmember , but nice to see it already done and working example 👍

I have a suitably wide 4HA going spare if anyone is looking message me

On 27/11/2020 at 19:29, Jessopia74 said:

I like that for the 4HA. Had something similar in my head for the pickups coming off the crossmember , but nice to see it already done and working example 👍

I have a suitably wide 4HA going spare if anyone is looking message me

I have the weld on brackets laser cut. piece of 56mm tube for bottom bush. The poly bush is a Mercedes one fits perfect.

Rose joint fronts poly bush for axle end to try and have a touch of comfort. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rutts said:

I have the weld on brackets laser cut. piece of 56mm tube for bottom bush. The poly bush is a Mercedes one fits perfect.

Rose joint fronts poly bush for axle end to try and have a touch of comfort. 

Sounds good, do you know the Merc part that fits?