stumpy

what rear axle

so when you guys build a fast road/rally manta  what rear axle are you  using i have seen commodore  but i think ive also  seen something regards ford atlas axle
if so  what width as they come in different 50 53  ect i know thewhole ford thing is frowned upon  but tbh i dont care about that  if its a better stronger upgrade being ford has been mentionedit seem daft not to mention the cosworth  so  has anyone converted to cosworth sierra rear subframe/diff ect  just an idea  and lastly is the atlas asfitted to capri mk 4 cortina ect a stronger axle than the manta or the commodore?

Edited by stumpy

Its like anything! Anything can break, or anything can be of better quality, think it depends on the condition of the item. 

As for axles, see atlas, volvo, simitar, bmw IRS subframes, subframes with original floor sections. R33 skylines. Jag IRS, 

I think with rally, fast road, a strong atlas, as its supported and upgraded by motorsport upgrades and variation of parts selection, and has been developed to its full potential. 

https://retropower.co.uk/category/projects/completed-projects/

I always wanted to try a 740, 940 volvo axle, story is some ex works 400s upgraded to these to eliminate commodore axles failures. Although at best the where only taking 280bhp.

A manta drifted for years on a gte axle welded solid and receiving 400bhp

Start a project thread and build up your axle, plenty here with help and advice. 

Heres the bm 3 series surframe setup!

ebay20654.jpg

ebay20651.jpg

ebay20653.jpg

Missed out on this! For the price of a kit, shell and revos at the time, was setup for a volvo T5 too, included, something tells me there was steering setup issues!

ebay20645.jpg

ebay20647.jpg

Gutted! Where did it go?  Manta looks, quattro sound! 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 2

that looks like a weapon  bargain for someone right best i start cming up with a plan

I'm running and atlas in my 400r width wise it's running 9j X 16 wheels plus 20mm spacers and fill the arch nicely, do also have 9.75j X 17 which also fit

is it  just a case of fitting link arm boxes mate

Pretty much yes I went coil over rear so did away with the spring pan set up and modded the axle for 5 link

• Like 1

do you have a pic of your set up in situ  by any chance mate

Interesting project, been looking at those bmw rear setups wondering if anyone ever fitted 👍

• Like 1