Vauxhall Cavalier mk1

GTEPETE

no i  ever understood why they were there but gm made extra effort in making the rocker cover hole and the manifold stub so it must do something ? 

ive never noticed any issues from having it connected on mine so always keep it in place .with an occasional check that its not blocked .

if the car in question has got the pipe missing then there will be crankcase fumes coming out causing a smell and a slight manifold airleak ( if its not blocked !) 

I've got a small rubber bung on the front of the turret and a breather filter on the back. It does pong if you don't route a pipe towards the road, like pre 50s cars had. The union on the inlet could feed a vacuum gauge on the dash or perhaps a crude nitrous oxide setup! 😄

the only trouble with routing the pipe underneath is that cars behind will smell it,giving us car owners a bad name ! lol

otherwise the engine will actually run better theoretically without it as its supplying clean air rather than fumes !.

thing is nowadays our engines ( especially carbs in particular) seem to suffer with modern fuel and dont have the smoothness and responsiveness the old 4 star used to have ( especially on trying to get a clean rev by blipping the throttle)and now weve got to make them all e10 proof as well by the looks of it !

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks, I've been busy doing a few jobs on the Cavalier  plus of course using the car on as many opportunities as possible. What a great car to drive! I've done 1250 miles since the end of October, car will return up to 35 m,p,g too. I've rebuilt both front floating calipers as all of the dust shields were absent, the brakes had started to drag and not release,  all good now though. One question though please, I can't remember if the seat belts should have a black plastic surround to where the actual belt passes through.  My guess is they should have, and mine are missing.       My next question is if they should be there, does anyone have a couple they might like to sell? Regards Paul. 

• 1 month later...

Hello folks, nearly got all of the jobs done on the Cavalier, done nearly 1500 miles since October. As the car has done hardly any miles in the last 20 years so I've noticed the real crank oil seal may be leaking also the rear gearbox oil seal. When I do these I'll probably do the clutch too, does anyone know of a company that can supply the clutches,  The only ones I can find are for the 1.3 litre engine size models. Mine's a 1979cc  made in 1979. Thanks. 

Edited by Paul Lickorish
Mistake

18 minutes ago, Paul Lickorish said:

Hello folks, nearly got all of the jobs done on the Cavalier, done nearly 1500 miles since October. As the car has done hardly any miles in the last 20 years so I've noticed the real crank oil seal may be leaking also the rear gearbox oil seal. When I do these I'll probably do the clutch too, does anyone know of a company that can supply the clutches,  The only ones I can find are for the 1.3 litre engine size models. Mine's a 1979cc  made in 1979. Thanks. 

Carl will get you a remanufactured one

• 1 month later...

Hello folks, I've now had this car for nine months and have really enjoyed the experience. I've done 2500 miles and I'm doing little jobs here and there but making sure the originality is maintained. Two slight problems have arisen though, the rear gearbox oil seal has developed a leak, I've now got a new seal for that. But also the rear crankshaft oil seal is leaking, I plan on doing both at the same time, plus cleaning up and painting the gearbox. I just wanted to be totally sure which seal I need to order for the crank. If anyone has dimensions or part numbers that would be appreciated, many thanks Paul.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

Do you want me to move this to the project threads area? 

as for seals, I ordered all my seals off edelschmiede, they have pretty much everything you need on there! 

That sounds good thanks, I'm a bit of a technophobe and only discovered the conversations taking place once I'd bought the car. Thanks for the seal advice!

• Like 1

glad youre enjoying it and that its going well. i remember seeing  the pics of this when it was for sale and thought it is one of the best around. funny thing is ,back in the day when they were everywhere that colour was still a rarity and its a pity cos it looks so good in it.  mine is done in cedar green which was a viva colour and looks good .always been a big far of green . pity they never made a green velour interior in them as the one in senators looks great . 

• 3 weeks later...