Bedford cf 4x4 transmission

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

4wd manta? That would be interesting. Think someone up north was building one out of a Subaru but obviously a lot of body changes too. 

Yeh he was but we don't hear of him now. I would like to see it done as the prototype. It makes you wonder what Opel/GM were thinking when they said not to the 4wd car. I think it was a big oversight unless the reality was the FFD set up was proper rubbish and wouldn't be good for the brand?

22 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Yeh he was but we don't hear of him now. I would like to see it done as the prototype. It makes you wonder what Opel/GM were thinking when they said not to the 4wd car. I think it was a big oversight unless the reality was the FFD set up was proper rubbish and wouldn't be good for the brand?

Yeah there’s a reason not many people used the FF setup. I think jenson used it in the interceptor but not many were made. It was a very complex and expensive system back in the day and the need for 4wd cars was not there. If you wanted a 4wd you bought a land rover and got shafted by them instead 🤣

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Interesting, never heard of that one. 

Wasnt this one a skateboard, cosworth sierra underneath, remember seeing photos of the turrets thinking, what the hell? 

Wasnt the S4 astra 4x4 2.4, turbo, but think it was gtrac 4x4 system. 

On 09/03/2021 at 12:48, Sutty2006 said:

Yeah there’s a reason not many people used the FF setup. I think jenson used it in the interceptor but not many were made. It was a very complex and expensive system back in the day and the need for 4wd cars was not there. If you wanted a 4wd you bought a land rover and got shafted by them instead 🤣

The Ferguson system may have been a bit agricultural, but considering it was the basis for a lot of Ford 4wd cars including the Sierra XR4x4 and the Sapphire Cosworth I wouldn't say it was rubbish. Far more reliable than the system GM used on the Cavaliers and Calibras.

• Like 1

Stripped a quattro V8, hard to believe they mounted a V8 in front of the front wheels! Amazing stuff! Had about two ton towards the other end to balance it all out! 

Its gonna end up mounted behind the front wheels in its new home and good old rwd, 4x4 is for landys!

Rwd is for pushing, fwd is for pulling, dont do 4x4 pushing and pulling!

51 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

Yeah there’s a reason all the 4wd cavaliers had the fuse pulled to make them 2wd again lol 

I remember years ago a mate's dad had one as a company car, and him saying about having to change all four tyres at once to keep the wear even. I know I bought a tatty non-turbo one a few years ago that was only 2wd. Loved my old 2.8 XR4x4 though, mine was a tired example but it still worked.

Years ago my father in law worked on a Police 4x4 Zephyr, even going down to visit the Ferguson research factory. That thing as well as being 4wd had an early form of ABS brakes, and was loved by the traffic officers.

I once saw an almost base model cavalier 4wd for sale. I did consider it, but didn’t have the balls for it. 

and yes, had an a8 v8 years ago, big brut in front of the axle but gives it the balance it needs. Even my a6 allroad has the engine mounted just forward of the front axle.

I dropped lucky, a guy wanted the Cavalier and offered the swap on the Vectra. I sold the Vectra on for more than I was asking for the Cavalier. No idea what the Cav would be worth today mind, probably a lot more than the Vectra, even in the rough condition it was in.