And finally the last bit of the project - the bodywork!!

So, guess what! more sanding over the last couple of days and i now have the two wings fully prepped, the boot lid, nose cone and valance and 90% of the body.

Got the paint on Thursday so just a couple more days prepping and then the compressor arrives on Wednesday, so then its time to paint 🙂

More pics to follow later! 

The bonnet and doors need a bit more work so im going to get the body, wings and boot all in paint first and then go back to the bonnet and hopefully get that painted before the compressor goes back and then i can do the doors with the small compressor if i don't get time to do those while i have the big one.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Excellent! 
what colour you going? 

Same color. Its originally Cardinal red (the actual opel color, so i was told years ago!) but the paint people couldn't find anything listed for that in the ranges they use these days so had them color match a wing and this one came as as a very, very good match.

Did a quick test spray today on and old wing and the Devilbiss gun is bloody awesome for the price.

All being ok tomorrow the compressor should turn up and its time to paint the body and weather being of over the next few days all the panels.

Then later i will use the little compressor to do the engine bay, boot etc..

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 6

So i finally got to start on the paint! after lots of hassle with the hire place i was getting the compressor from (which never work and they still havent replaced it!) which meant i lost 2 really good days of weather and ended up buying as compressor.

I'm fairly happy with the results so far. Think i will end up flatting and polishing the car when i have it all painted as i got a run on one of the wings, a case of not enough light in the garage today and its not quite the same with artificial light!

The weather looks good tomorrow so its the body and nose cone tomorrow.

I will get some better pics in the sunshine so you can see the results a bit better.

Andy

• Like 3

I used to know a painter that did not go for a gloss finish at all. He painted in a hut that was built on the back of a large shed he used to prep. When they first came out of the paint, they looked dog ruff. But after he spent the time with flatting and polishing, they all looked like glass !  It might be nostalgia , but I still think he had the best finishes I ever seen. And a little run means you got some thickness of paint at least. Better a run then a thin coat? 
But it's looking good imo anyway, got a nice glossy finish 

Edited by Jessopia74

6 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

I used to know a painter that did not go for a gloss finish at all. He painted in a hut that was built on the back of a large shed he used to prep. When they first came out of the paint, they looked dog ruff. But after he spent the time with flatting and polishing, they all looked like glass !  It might be nostalgia , but I still think he had the best finishes I ever seen. And a little run means you got some thickness of paint at least. Better a run then a thin coat? 
But it's looking good imo anyway, got a nice glossy finish 

Knew i was never going to get a super smooth finish doing it in the garage but as you say i got a couple of good cots on the wings and 3 on the boot so i can give them a flat if i need too, which i think i will have to, as even if i got a couple panels nice and super flat im never going to get the whole car like that.

And at the end of the day its a million times better than what it use to be like and as the paint is quite cheap i can even do the odd panel again later on.

I recon i will spend just under a grand on it (taking into account the cost of the gun and the compressor) which compared to the cost of getting it done professionally is at least a 3rd of the cost and i have the stuff to then spray the old Lambretta that im also restoring so well worth the investment. 

And i know then even if i paid 3K plus for someone to do it that there would be bits i was not happy with!!

4 minutes ago, 611 said:

Knew i was never going to get a super smooth finish doing it in the garage but as you say i got a couple of good cots on the wings and 3 on the boot so i can give them a flat if i need too, which i think i will have to, as even if i got a couple panels nice and super flat im never going to get the whole car like that.

And at the end of the day its a million times better than what it use to be like and as the paint is quite cheap i can even do the odd panel again later on.

I recon i will spend just under a grand on it (taking into account the cost of the gun and the compressor) which compared to the cost of getting it done professionally is at least a 3rd of the cost and i have the stuff to then spray the old Lambretta that im also restoring so well worth the investment. 

And i know then even if i paid 3K plus for someone to do it that there would be bits i was not happy with!!

Exactly, 3K is a low end respray - they will skip on some prep, not do galleys etc , so your definitely likely to do a better job yourself. 

• Like 1

So it seems that between my test with the compressor from the hire company (which only worked once then kept blowing fuse's, and they still haven called me back about a replacement!) and the one i bought, i had manged to wind the air pressure up which made it have more orange peel!!!!

So today i did a bit of playing around while i waited for the garage to warm up as it was a super nice and sunny day!

I turned the pressure down to 20 psi, added and extra 5% thinners to the mix and its coming out real nice now 🙂

I got 2 runs on the body, but managed to get 3 good coats on as i think i will be flatting and polishing the car as im never going to get every panel like the nose cone.

Its quite hard painting in a garage which is not much bigger than the car!!

I will repaint the boot tomorrow as not happy with the edges on it (Which i suppose is an advantage of having bough the compressor, i can just do stuff as i want now.) and although the wings have more orange peel than the rest of the car i think i will leave those and flat them.

If i had a double garage and some better extraction i recon with this gun and a bit more time i could get every panel looking pretty spot on.

Andy

• Like 10

That’s looking good . Did paint a Manta in my garage ( sticky) very little room on the side 

Doing the o/s rear 1/4  look ok  move back a bit , turn on the tap,water all over the paint which was still wet 

Not happy .had to do it all again 

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Yeah, not much room there to get a good look down the panels as you move down, so it will be difficult. Bloody great results so far 👍

If only i had more room... It was harder doing the roof as well this time, as last time it had the vinyl!!

1 hour ago, 1200bandit said:

That’s looking good . Did paint a Manta in my garage ( sticky) very little room on the side 

Doing the o/s rear 1/4  look ok  move back a bit , turn on the tap,water all over the paint which was still wet 

Not happy .had to do it all again 

I know what you mean, got overspray on the boot which was looking so good, now has a slight mist on it. But as you say, at least i can do it again.

That's my Saturday taken up 🙂

Edited by 611

Thats a great effort, as said above most imperfections can be polished out, even overspray.

Those flip flops made me laugh, some polythene covering going on there, reminded me of mr. Bean, mask everything, firework in paint tin!  But the overspray goes everywhere, worth covering everything or removing everything. 

Great effort, and you have learned more than handing over a paint job cost. 

8 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Thats a great effort, as said above most imperfections can be polished out, even overspray.

Those flip flops made me laugh, some polythene covering going on there, reminded me of mr. Bean, mask everything, firework in paint tin!  But the overspray goes everywhere, worth covering everything or removing everything. 

Great effort, and you have learned more than handing over a paint job cost. 

They are my car working flip flops 🙂 Used them to hold the covering in place 🙂

Every day is a school day! learnt a few things today as sanded the boot and wings and gave them a single coat, but there must have been a little bit of water somewhere in the line as got a few fish eyes, still got enough paint to flat and give them another coat. Im also learning that no matter how much you flat things its not until you put some nice shiny paint on do you really see how good the panel is 🙂

The wings and the boot will look spot on when i finally get there 🙂

Looks like the weather is changing next week so might have to convert the sun lounge into a spray booth for the panels 🙂

• Like 10

The problem with painting the car yourself if your as picky as me is that when you get one bit really good like the nose cone you then end up having to re-paint the other bits to the same level!!

Think the wing repaint came out ok 🙂

I now have my DA mop, cutting compounds and I'm just waiting for the 3M Trizac 3000 discs to arrive and i can start testing out the polishing side of things!

Andy

• Like 8

Hi Andy, that paint finish is looking great.  As you say, the more your practice the more fussy you are with the finish.   It gives all of us the confidence to have a go ourselves and see what we can do.   The Lambretta will be painted to perfection I am sure!

Great work!👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard33 said:

Hi Andy, that paint finish is looking great.  As you say, the more your practice the more fussy you are with the finish.   It gives all of us the confidence to have a go ourselves and see what we can do.   The Lambretta will be painted to perfection I am sure!

Great work!👍

Thanks, Richard

The gun used makes so much difference. I have a cheap one which is ok for the primer but the finish between that and the Devilbiss are miles apart.

Just prepping the bonnet, which is loads of work!!

I should be an expert buy the time i get around to the Lambretta!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mantacrazy22 said:

Lovely job must of been hard work getting around it in such a small space 

Yep, i need to get a double garage!

The quarter panels didn't come out quite as good as the rest but im hoping i can save it with a bit of flatting and polishing, if not now i know i can get a decent job with the equipment i have i will see if i can look at doing it again next spring. 

Maybe i can build portable booth in the front garden that has more space!! not sure the missus will like it 🙂

Its a real shame no one rents spray booths out!

Andy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 611 said:

Yep, i need to get a double garage!

The quarter panels didn't come out quite as good as the rest but im hoping i can save it with a bit of flatting and polishing, if not now i know i can get a decent job with the equipment i have i will see if i can look at doing it again next spring. 

Maybe i can build portable booth in the front garden that has more space!! not sure the missus will like it 🙂

Its a real shame no one rents spray booths out!

Andy

It's a big task to do a full paint job if there's a couple of bits your not happy with all in all that's good and looking at the finish you will rectify it no problem,have you looked in machinemart at there drive in tents or even a gazebo with sides might me good 

27 minutes ago, mantacrazy22 said:

It's a big task to do a full paint job if there's a couple of bits your not happy with all in all that's good and looking at the finish you will rectify it no problem,have you looked in machinemart at there drive in tents or even a gazebo with sides might me good 

One of those drive in type tents might do the job. Problem is apart from the front garden, there is no where else that it would fit 🙂

• Like 1